Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Raven S thump sound at acceleration from stand still

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all, I need your help to maybe challenge what the service center is telling me about this issue. Have you experienced the same and had it diagnosed?

So here’s the deal:

My 2019 Raven S (September 2019 delivery) has had an issue right from the beginning with a strange “thump” being maybe not as much heard as felt when accelerating, even gently so, from a complete stand-still. Imagine that you would have a medicine ball loose in the frunk. Any time you accelerate, it would bump into the back wall of the frunk like half a second after you press the accelerator. That’s kind of what it feels like, and I can feel it through the “drive train” if there even is such a thing :) Can’t record it though - sound is too faint and not really the problem.

I pointed this out during my first service where they said it was “within tolerance levels” and should be considered normal. The problem has stayed with the car ever since, and I just now consulted Tesla again about it because it worries me that this will cause longer term issues. Again, they claimed that this is normal and that it is common with the current generation of permanent magnet front engines.

My thinking is that if this would have been a common issue, I would have heard a lot more about it in this and other forums? Can’t really find anything about it when searching. Are they dodging an expensive repair?

Did you experience this? What was done about it, if anything?

Thanks in advance!

And by the way - I love the car, it’s amazing. But this really bugs me and does not feel premium - it’s like something is loose.

My 2019 Raven, also Sept delivered Model X does not do that.

Try playing with the Autohold options and see if it changes. It might be a hint if does. It can have some odd side effects.

Sounds like an old fashioned ICE motor mount problem ;)

My 2019 Raven, also Sept delivered Model X does not do that.

Try playing with the Autohold options and see if it changes. It might be a hint if does. It can have some odd side effects.

Sounds like an old fashioned ICE motor mount problem ;)
I heard this in the voices of Click and Clack, the Tappet Brothers. 😄

My 2019 Raven Model S Performance might have done this. It was a subtle bump I could feel when just starting to go from a stop, and I think only when I was giving moderate accelerator input. I figured it was something about the induction motor "kicking on" after getting started with just the front/PM motor. (The rear is only used when needed since it's less efficient than the permanent magnet unit in the front). It wasn't particularly jarring and I never did anything about it, but you might compare it to a ball in the trunk rolling and thumping into the hatch so we might be talking about the same thing.