Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Raven Tire Wear Observation

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My 2020 LR Raven S with staggered Continental front tires are shot at 8,000 miles! Assuming I should check alignment, toe etc? Time for new tires regardless. Trying to decide between Summer or All Season. How many more miles could I get out of the Michelin Pilot Sport All Season 4 vs the Pilot Sport 4S Summer tires? Is the Acoustic Tech in the Pilot Sport 4s really that helpful? I have a set of 19 inch Winter wheel/tires I've used on a previous Model S, but it only snows here once or twice per year so I don't even like to use them. Suggestions?

Definitely want to have alignment checked. How the tires are actually worn will indicate potential solutions, i.e., insides worn but rest OK vs. uniform wear require different solutions. In terms of tires, it is more about temperature than snowfall. Summer tires are dangerous below 40F whether or not you have snow on the ground. If you have weeks of those kinds of temperatures, then get a jack and swap out for your winters during those times of the year. I don't have personal experience with the All-Seasons, but most people will say they are a compromise. They'll work at any temperature, but you are giving up some benefits of dedicated seasonal tires for convenience of not having to swap twice a year.

Summer tires are dangerous below 40F whether or not you have snow on the ground.
Just got a set of Yokohama Advan Apex V601 "max performance summer" tires. I haven't seen many reviews of these, and none on a Tesla, so I guess I am the guinea pig.

I live in central Texas, and the recent Big Freeze almost made me second guess getting these. However, I do have another vehicle that I can drive in freezing weather. Also, I have the S in a garage, so even if it's close to freezing I reckon it could be safe to drive to town and back, as long as I don't leave it parked outside for hours.

Definitely want to have alignment checked. How the tires are actually worn will indicate potential solutions, i.e., insides worn but rest OK vs. uniform wear require different solutions. In terms of tires, it is more about temperature than snowfall. Summer tires are dangerous below 40F whether or not you have snow on the ground. If you have weeks of those kinds of temperatures, then get a jack and swap out for your winters during those times of the year. I don't have personal experience with the All-Seasons, but most people will say they are a compromise. They'll work at any temperature, but you are giving up some benefits of dedicated seasonal tires for convenience of not having to swap twice a year.
They're very evenly worn. I'm going to try two more Continentals on the front and see if I can get to Winter.