Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Raven torque steer?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have been reading Raven reviews and all are really positive about the better range, improved handling and ride via the new suspension, etc. However, I have read a couple of articles discussing torque steer that was not present in the non-raven models. There was a couple of post suggesting that the new 3 motor setup made the car more FWD bias as opposed to the older motor setup where the default was for rwd. Can anyone confirm this? I have been debating upgrading my 2013 MS P85 but if the Raven introduces torque steer under heavy acceleration or in the rain, and does make the car more front wheel bias then I will probably hold off.

I am not trying to solicit snarky anti-Tesla comments, just looking for some information

Isn't Raven not 3 motor? They just subbed the AC induction front for a PM reluctance model 3 motor. The rumored 3 motor S X hasn't yet manifested.
I think you may be correct. I might have conflated "may be coming soon" talk with what was actually done. I think they took the M3 rear motor and put it in the front of the refreshed MS replacing what type of motor was there originally.

Performance dual motor s and x Cars always prefered fwd as that has always been the more efficiënt motor(just less efficiënt than the raven motor).
That is not actually true. If Range mode is on, the car favours the front motor and if range mode is off it favours the rear motor. I've confirmed this when in ludicrous plus mode by looking at the special widget that becomes visible to show power usage for battery, front motor and rear motor.

That is not actually true. If Range mode is on, the car favours the front motor and if range mode is off it favours the rear motor. I've confirmed this when in ludicrous plus mode by looking at the special widget that becomes visible to show power usage for battery, front motor and rear motor.

So I wonder if under snowy/icy conditions if it's better to turn range mode on with a "D" car?

So I wonder if under snowy/icy conditions if it's better to turn range mode on with a "D" car?
The reason front wheel drive is thought of as better in snow is because many FWD cars are not balanced, and have the bulk of their weight (from the engine) over the front drive wheels. This adds traction, compared to an unbalanced rear wheel drive car, that would have the bulk if its weight otherwise. Fortunately, most premium car brands have worked to ensure their cars are close (or exactly) 50/50 in weight balance, leading to better stability, and virtually no economy cars are RWD in the past few decades (which might skip on balance to save money), so it’s pretty much a non-issue.

That said, an all-wheel-drive car is the best of both worlds, and Model Ses in particular are amazing in the snow due to their balance and weight. The RWD Model Ses are still better than many FWD cars, due to the same reasons. It might bias one way or the other when it has traction (for various reasons), but when traction control has to kick in, it’s all about which wheel grabs best regardless.

Please correct me if I am wrong with these statements.

My understanding is that the Raven S has the "Model 3 motor" in the front now. Rather than in the back like the M3.
This new motor has permanent magnets and is more efficient.

In the Model 3, testing has shown it to be biased towards the new, rear, more efficient motor. Which makes sense from an increased range and cruising perspective.

So it seems possible that the Model S has the same bias towards the more efficient motor?? .. except for the S that motor is in the front, causing some under steer.

Dual motor S cars always had the bias toward the front, ever since they enabled "torque sleep" on the rear motor to increase range in 2015-ish. The replacement of the old small front motor with the new model 3 front motor doesn't change that bias, it just changes the efficiency. Torque steer may be coming from the new front motor being asymmetrical, and if it's only a slight bit off symmetry that might be why people only notice the torque steer under Ludicrous Launch scenarios where the front motor is doing the most work it will ever be asked to do.

Next time you launch, hold the steering wheel gently and let us know if the car pulls one way or another.
I noticed torque steer today on the model s raven P100D that didn't seem to be present on the non-raven P100D. It was so unexpected that it took me by surprise and I tended to over-correct. Can anyone confirm?

I am not too hopeful, but is there any chance this can be corrected by a software update?

I noticed torque steer today on the model s raven P100D that didn't seem to be present on the non-raven P100D. It was so unexpected that it took me by surprise and I tended to over-correct. Can anyone confirm?

I am not too hopeful, but is there any chance this can be corrected by a software update?

I seem to remember that it pulled to the right and I over corrected towards the left. But I can’t be sure until I try it again.
My Raven 75D absolutely torque steers under heavy acceleration. I also remember it pulling to the right.