Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Raven vs. non-raven: huge difference, or not?

Is there a major difference in ride comfort and noise between 2017/2018 and Raven builds?

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My anecdotal evidence on the "Raven vs Non-Raven" question:

Still drive an S no-adjustable-suspension.
Drove until spring 2019 an X non-Raven-suspension.
Test drove in fall 2019 an S Raven-suspension.

The difference was clearly significant for the S non-adjust to the S Raven, but between X non-Raven and S Raven, I couldn't tell much of a difference. It had been 7 months since selling the X, so maybe my memory was suspect, but after all the posts on TMC of "wow, so so so much better", I was expecting something discernable and didn't get it.

My anecdotal evidence on the "Raven vs Non-Raven" question:

Still drive an S no-adjustable-suspension.
Drove until spring 2019 an X non-Raven-suspension.
Test drove in fall 2019 an S Raven-suspension.

The difference was clearly significant for the S non-adjust to the S Raven, but between X non-Raven and S Raven, I couldn't tell much of a difference. It had been 7 months since selling the X, so maybe my memory was suspect, but after all the posts on TMC of "wow, so so so much better", I was expecting something discernable and didn't get it.

Was your S on 19" or 21" wheels?

I find with my non-adjustable S, the tires matter a lot more than the adjustable suspensions. My non-adjustable S on winter tires is cushy and rides smoother than my adjustable X. On 21" summer tires, it's about the same stiffness between the two.

On the adjustable suspension they all seem to perform about the same. There's definitely differences switching between a 20" 22" all season/winter/summer compound, but nowhere as pronounced as I've seen on the non-adjustable S. As for like for like (MX non Raven to MX Raven) I do find the Raven MX to be tuned to the softer side, but I haven't had a Raven S to compare to yet.

Was your S on 19" or 21" wheels?

I find with my non-adjustable S, the tires matter a lot more than the adjustable suspensions. My non-adjustable S on winter tires is cushy and rides smoother than my adjustable X. On 21" summer tires, it's about the same stiffness between the two.

On the adjustable suspension they all seem to perform about the same. There's definitely differences switching between a 20" 22" all season/winter/summer compound, but nowhere as pronounced as I've seen on the non-adjustable S. As for like for like (MX non Raven to MX Raven) I do find the Raven MX to be tuned to the softer side, but I haven't had a Raven S to compare to yet.

Fair point - 19" for the S, 20" for the X, both with all-season tires. Assuming OEM on the test drive, but I don't remember looking at the brand.

The automatic stopping when using regen to me is the biggest differentiator. Being able to drive with just one pedal, although a convenience, is definitely something nice to have. Only thing I wish I had on my X compared to the newer ones.

Just to conclude my purchase story - I did end up taking delivery of the 2017 100D with 80,000 miles. After they charged it to 80%, the max range updated to 261mi. Based on my P3D experience, this will presumably fluctuate up and down by +/- 5mi or so depending on charging behavior.

So while the range is disappointing, I'm otherwise super happy with the vehicle. It's in amazing shape - looks nearly new in all manners. New tires, wheels without a scratch (which I will probably sell soon), and no mechanical issues. I'm definitely missing a few things I wish I could have gotten in Raven, but I'll use this one for a while and maybe upgrade later. I've already attempted to schedule my HW3 upgrade!

Just to conclude my purchase story - I did end up taking delivery of the 2017 100D with 80,000 miles. After they charged it to 80%, the max range updated to 261mi. Based on my P3D experience, this will presumably fluctuate up and down by +/- 5mi or so depending on charging behavior.

So while the range is disappointing, I'm otherwise super happy with the vehicle. It's in amazing shape - looks nearly new in all manners. New tires, wheels without a scratch (which I will probably sell soon), and no mechanical issues. I'm definitely missing a few things I wish I could have gotten in Raven, but I'll use this one for a while and maybe upgrade later. I've already attempted to schedule my HW3 upgrade!
Awesome, congrats! You’re gonna love life with this car. Some tips: drive it down to 40% wait at least 30 minutes, and then charge up to 90% for a little while—this will help balance the BMS and you’re should see that range start to climb. That the range is 261 right now is maybe a good indication that the battery has almost rarely been charged to 100% and so it the BMS doesn’t really know where the high number is. That’s good because it means the battery has been really well cared for. With 80k miles, I’d say your range should be around 285 or so. Enjoy! I’m also looking forward to the HW3 and MCU2 swap next week!

That the range is 261 right now is maybe a good indication that the battery has almost rarely been charged to 100% and so it the BMS doesn’t really know where the high number is. That’s good because it means the battery has been really well cared for. With 80k miles, I’d say your range should be around 285 or so.

I took my X in for service for a few items (shudder, HW3 upgrade, etc.), and asked the SC to look into the battery. I tried taking the battery to ~10%, then back up to 90% and left it there overnight a few times, but it didn't seem to improve the SoC estimates at all. Still stuck at 258-263 miles. The SC looked into it, and were very unhelpful - saying that the battery is fine and within normal specs. Based on the fleet data we've seen posted directly from Tesla and data from TeslaFi, I can tell that I am WELL outside of the normal range given the miles, but am still WELL within the 70% degradation for a warranty service. I don't think there's much I can do.

Regarding your comment about the battery being well cared for - I believe it's probably the opposite. It was a lease return with very high miles, so they probably charged to 100% every day to make their presumably very long commute (given the miles). As a lease, they didn't care if the battery degraded as a result. Of course I have no real information to base this on, it's just my guess.