Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Raven wind noise?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just took delivery of my MX Raven, replacing a 2016 MX 90D. Overall a noticeable improvement.

Although the car is quieter, it still isn't as quiet as other high-end cars. I know, engine noise masks some outside noise, but I don't buy that excuse completely.

What I'm trying to figure out is how much is road noise, whether excess wind noise is also a factor, and whether either may be lessened by adjustments. That was a big deal when I took delivery of my 2016 and they were able to reduce it somewhat.

The car is significantly quieter on newer asphalt surfaces, so road noise does play a big part. Has anyone done anything to make the interior quieter, and if so, what did you do?

I saw someone create a huge improvement by adding a second surround of door seals, I think on a model 3. Wind noise around the actual car would be minimal as the drag coefficient is so low, but joints and seals might be an area would could provide significant improvement, I’d hazard probably more than adding insulation would.

I saw someone create a huge improvement by adding a second surround of door seals, I think on a model 3. Wind noise around the actual car would be minimal as the drag coefficient is so low, but joints and seals might be an area would could provide significant improvement, I’d hazard probably more than adding insulation would.

Measurable or perceived improvements?

I don’t think the door seals on the S are the issue. Wind noise comes from the mirrors, frameless windows, sunroof, etc.

All things that are not user serviceable.

My new Arai helmet is so good I bought two - so quiet. Then I bought a new Zero SRF motorcycle. Now my darn helmet is so loud - so much wind noise.

My DB meter on my phone shows the new X is super quiet. But I think it makes the wind noise more noticeable. My wife thought my car was quieter until we used the DB meter. The X is quieter.

Just sharing my experiences.

All I can say is that some road pavement materials are just going to be loud no matter what. The Raven Model X I drove a couple of weeks ago was much more quiet than my 2017 Model S.
In addition, different tires have different loudness depending upon pavement type and aggregate size. That is, tire A may be noisy on pavement X where tire B is quiet on pavement X. And although all tires get louder as they wear down, some tires get much louder.

In addition, different tires have different loudness depending upon pavement type and aggregate size. That is, tire A may be noisy on pavement X where tire B is quiet on pavement X. And although all tires get louder as they wear down, some tires get much louder.
we do get a bit of road noise but enjoy the X so much it is as nothing it is as or even quitter then my Mercedes s series

Reactions: jerry33
I think that is the issue. People need to measure the noise in car 1 and car 2 before comparing. Sure there are tonal quality differences, but at least get some objective data.
Good plan. Noise in cars is one of the trickiest things to track down because the sound reflections in the cabin sometimes make the noise appear to be coming from some location that's not actually the source. I recall one instance--a long time ago when I was involved in such things--there there was a tire noise complaint. They put on new tires and afterwords the the car was so noisy that they couldn't ride in it. I had them drive with me riding along, and it was bad--really bad. But it wasn't the tires. It turned out that they had moved the crossbars on the luggage rack of their station wagon and the wind vibrated the roof. In other cases, microphones had to be placed in various locations to determine where the noise was coming from.

Reactions: jboy210
Tesla’s are noisy vehicles.

The wind and road noise only seem tolerable to someone who is not coming over from a luxury brand.

They cheap out on insulation, plain and simple.

Might be less to do with insulation than one might suspect. This video goes over the difference when Bjorn Nyland had them install a very extensive set of of sound insulation into his Model 3. It helps a little bit, but hard to justify the expense.

They give their opinions at around 12:00. Data tables of dB measurements are around 13:30

Most importation point is the last 30 seconds or so. This is a tricky issue.

Last edited:
Might be less to do with insulation than one might suspect. This video goes over the difference when Bjorn Nyland had them install a very extensive set of of sound insulation into his Model 3. It helps a little bit, but hard to justify the expense.

They give their opinions at around 12:00. Data tables of dB measurements are around 13:30

Most importation point is the last 30 seconds or so. This is a tricky issue.
Does this work void your warranty?

My wind noise was coming from the door seal near the driver's side mirror. Once I pushed it all the way in the noise went away

So I have a similar issue. I owned a very quiet 2017 X100D which was perfect. I upgraded to a 2109 Raven Performance and now I have a whistle near the drivers mirror. All trim has been replaced but between 30-50 mph I get an odd whistle.

Another service appointment in the future.

So I have a similar issue. I owned a very quiet 2017 X100D which was perfect. I upgraded to a 2109 Raven Performance and now I have a whistle near the drivers mirror. All trim has been replaced but between 30-50 mph I get an odd whistle.

Did you ever resolve the noise issue? Raven here with same slight wind whistle that sounds like it’s by the mirror. All the seals look good around the window and body of car though.

I just picked up a new Raven model X yesterday, on the way home I noticed a slight whistle near the drivers mirror also. The trim looks fine, the noise happens about 40 mph. I have two model S that do not have the same noise. Over all the X is very quiet and the wind sound is just a faint whistle and doesn't get louder as I go faster. Someone said it is wind blowing inside the A pillar from the frunk.

I just picked up a new Raven model X yesterday, on the way home I noticed a slight whistle near the drivers mirror also. The trim looks fine, the noise happens about 40 mph. I have two model S that do not have the same noise. Over all the X is very quiet and the wind sound is just a faint whistle and doesn't get louder as I go faster. Someone said it is wind blowing inside the A pillar from the frunk.

I spent a lot of time on this issue on Model X and fixed it myself.

I created a Video of how to easily test if it’s the problem that I did fix. The post before this post on the Video explains how I fixed it. Not very easy.

Possible wind noise around drivers side mirror Model X Raven