Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Raven wind noise?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just picked up a new Raven model X yesterday, on the way home I noticed a whistle near the drivers mirror. The trim looks fine, the noise happens between 20 and 50 mph. I have two model S that do not have the same noise. Over all the X is very quiet and the wind sound is a faint whistle and doesn't get louder as I go faster but does go up in pitch.

I figured out that the wind noise I was hearing was from the left side mirror. I could hear the noise when the window was open, so I knew it wasn't the window seal. I took apart the frunk to made sure the left A pillar didn't have any space for air to blow, that didn't seem to be the problem. I could make the noise go away by putting my hand out the window in front of the left mirror while driving, so I knew it was the mirror making the noise. First I placed packing tape all around the openings on the front and bottom of the mirror housing, the noise was completely gone. I couldn't leave the ugly packing tape which prevented the mirror from being able to move but at least I knew where the noise was coming from. It seemed the noise was coming from the wind blowing through the small openings under the housing where the movable part of the mirror housing attaches to the permanent arm. I have two Tesla model S that both have the same mirror but neither make any wind noise and there isn't anything visible wrong with this mirror that would cause it make the loud whistling noise. I took off the packing tape and placed a thin line of duck tape into the space to try to stop any air from passing into the space but allowing the mirror to move normally. Amazingly, the whistling is gone and the mirror moves fine. I don't know how long the tape will work, obviously it isn't the right way to fix it, but now I can give people rides in my new Model X without being embarrassed about the whistling noise. The rest of the car is very quiet and I love it.

I figured out that the wind noise I was hearing was from the left side mirror. I could hear the noise when the window was open, so I knew it wasn't the window seal. I took apart the frunk to made sure the left A pillar didn't have any space for air to blow, that didn't seem to be the problem. I could make the noise go away by putting my hand out the window in front of the left mirror while driving, so I knew it was the mirror making the noise. First I placed packing tape all around the openings on the front and bottom of the mirror housing, the noise was completely gone. I couldn't leave the ugly packing tape which prevented the mirror from being able to move but at least I knew where the noise was coming from. It seemed the noise was coming from the wind blowing through the small openings under the housing where the movable part of the mirror housing attaches to the permanent arm. I have two Tesla model S that both have the same mirror but neither make any wind noise and there isn't anything visible wrong with this mirror that would cause it make the loud whistling noise. I took off the packing tape and placed a thin line of duck tape into the space to try to stop any air from passing into the space but allowing the mirror to move normally. Amazingly, the whistling is gone and the mirror moves fine. I don't know how long the tape will work, obviously it isn't the right way to fix it, but now I can give people rides in my new Model X without being embarrassed about the whistling noise. The rest of the car is very quiet and I love it.

Same problem with almost the same solution

Possible wind noise around drivers side mirror Model X Raven

Tesla’s are noisy vehicles.

The wind and road noise only seem tolerable to someone who is not coming over from a luxury brand.

They cheap out on insulation, plain and simple.

I disagree. I've owned multiple Infinitis and currently still have a Lexus RX450h and our 2016 X is not noticeably louder than any of those vehicles. I just did back to back driving with both vehicles. I think it's more that people don't realize how much engines drone out the noise.

I disagree. I've owned multiple Infinitis and currently still have a Lexus RX450h and our 2016 X is not noticeably louder than any of those vehicles. I just did back to back driving with both vehicles. I think it's more that people don't realize how much engines drone out the noise.
It’s not the engines. It’s the inconsistency in build quality with Tesla.

While yours may be quiet (to you), there are countless threads and videos about unacceptable amounts of wind and road noise for a $100K vehicle.

Reactions: sllvgl

While yours may be quiet (to you), there are countless threads and videos about unacceptable amounts of wind and road noise for a $100K vehicle.

Unacceptable amounts of engine noise is a subjective statement. At first you blame it on people not owning high end cars, which I have owned and driven in. Now it's the inconsistency in Teslas. I have been in and driven multiple Teslas and have not heard any excessive noises compared to other cars. It sounds just like the people nitpicking the panel gaps.

• Disagree
Reactions: glide

Exactly how I feel. Coming from a Range Rover that you couldn’t hear anything. This thing sounds like an old van on the highway. It’s a joke it’s worth 100k for this amount of sound. Can barely hear the music. If I knew about this noise prior to purchase , I would of never bought it.