Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rdio winding up, interesting auraltimes ahead for Tesla

Preferred music streaming service for Tesla

• Spotify

Votes: 28 63.6%
  • Google play music

Votes: 2 4.5%
  • Youtube music

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Youtube red

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Pandora

Votes: 5 11.4%
  • Apple music

Votes: 13 29.5%
  • Tidal

Votes: 3 6.8%
  • Amazon prime music

Votes: 1 2.3%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Rdio winding up, interesting aural times ahead for Tesla

Hi guys,

Some of you may have read about this - Rdio has sold "key assets" to Pandora for $75m cash.

Pandora To Buy Rdio Assets For $75M In Cash, Rdio Files Ch.11, Will Shutter Service | TechCrunch

Most news sites seem to think that the actual Rdio streaming service will shut down (which will impact Tesla owners), however Rdio itself doesn't explicitly mention this.
Assuming it will happen (i don't see why Pandora would continue to operate Rdio separately), and Tesla have to move to a new streaming service, what is your preference?

Last edited:
Personally I can't believe people are suggesting Apple music. Let's stay away from both eco systems or we need to embrace both. Spoitfy is the best option in Australia hands down. Pandora would be great. What I would REALLY love though is Apple Play and Android Car. Which would solve this issue long term. I hope both VMs are being worked on by Tesla and soon we will be able to grab the power of both ecosystem an not need these side solutions...

Personally I can't believe people are suggesting Apple music. Let's stay away from both eco systems or we need to embrace both. Spoitfy is the best option in Australia hands down. Pandora would be great. What I would REALLY love though is Apple Play and Android Car. Which would solve this issue long term. I hope both VMs are being worked on by Tesla and soon we will be able to grab the power of both ecosystem an not need these side solutions...

I guess it's a reflection on what people are actually using in their non-Tesla world. I've heard too that Apple pay much better royalties to the artists than Spotify. A friend of mine who's a jazz musician in New York showed me his royalty statement not long ago - it's pathetic what they get from it.

considering you (as far as I'm aware) couldn't actually inteface with the car's Rdio via your phone, i think Apple Music or Google music is probably irrelevant - either way you'd just be using it via the car interface, and it would have nothing to do with your phone.
However, if with the new music platform they did allow for you to interact with the car system on your phone/your personal <music service> account, then things would get interesting!
I really don't think Apple Music is viable right now, it's only in beta on android, I don't see them having a polished interface on the Tesla interface. Google music makes a bit more sense - it's more established, and Tesla already using google maps in the Tesla interface.
From a popularity point of view, Spotify is definitely the favourite, but will Spotify allow it? They only just allowed it to work via Chromecast (while actively shutting down spotify-chromecast work arounds), and Chromecast has been around for 2.5 years! I feel like they're not really open to this stuff.
Also I'm not fully down with how Pandora works, but I know originally it really wasn't meant as a music service for people to pick specific songs to listen to, it was meant for you to pick a type of song, then Pandora plays you what it thinks you would like. This is fine for the demographic it's going for, but is it right for the Tesla driver? Maybe, maybe not. But it IS a mind shift for users who are used to the current way of working.

Conclusion: whatever Tesla pick, there will be happy and unhappy people :)

It seems will will be getting Spotify from anytime now onwards. Europe, UK and Hong Kong likewise. From The Telegraph, UK.Spotify partners with Tesla for integrated in-car music system - Telegraph

Update. Just received an email telling me of an over the air update today to install Spotify!!! Tesla have really been on the ball with this one. Really good company and service!!

Welcome Spotify to Your Model S

With today’s over-the-air software update, you can now enjoy a seamless streaming music experience with Spotify in your Model S.

The fully integrated Spotify system will deliver the perfect music experience for every journey with on-demand access to Spotify’s catalogue of over 30 million tracks. You can also access your own Spotify music library, save tracks and albums and follow artists, playlists and radio stations.

To start listening to Spotify, simply select Spotify from the menu in your media player. You can also use an existing Spotify Premium account and listen to your playlists and radio stations. Just log in to your Spotify account via Settings > Apps > Media Player > Spotify.

Welcome Spotify to Your Model S

With today’s over-the-air software update, you can now enjoy a seamless streaming music experience with Spotify in your Model S.

The fully integrated Spotify system will deliver the perfect music experience for every journey with on-demand access to Spotify’s catalogue of over 30 million tracks. You can also access your own Spotify music library, save tracks and albums and follow artists, playlists and radio stations.

To start listening to Spotify, simply select Spotify from the menu in your media player. You can also use an existing Spotify Premium account and listen to your playlists and radio stations. Just log in to your Spotify account via Settings > Apps > Media Player > Spotify.
Not yet. I guess USA time or whenever Rdio goes dead.