Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Re: 2021.4.15.8

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
GRR... Got this right after updating 2018 RWD LR M3 to this version... Never had an issue like this before. Autopilot and cruise disabled. Visualizations and advanced summon still work though. Tesla prematurely disabling radar? 😜

Attachments

• PXL_20210515_155053895.MP.jpg
    PXL_20210515_155053895.MP.jpg
    487.8 KB · Views: 98
The seat thing I can totally understand given recent news, but the high auto high beams thing sounds insane. Those are super annoying and my impression is most people just disable them all the time.

Ouch. IMO, not being able to disable the auto high beam "feature" is a MAJOR safety hazard. Unless they've rewritten the functionality completely recently, Tesla's auto high beams are basically unusable, in my experience. Disabling that "feature" is the only way to get high beams to work on about 75% of the roads I've driven, thanks to it being completely unable to tell the difference between headlights, street lights, post lights next to driveways and houses, lights attached to highway signs, etc.

In fact, in all my life, I've only found one stretch of highway where they were even halfway usable, and that was on a road that Autopilot is massively unsupported on. And even on that road, there are periods of a few hundred feet when I have to hold the stalk to keep the high beams on because it gets confused by other lights.

Why would ANYONE IN THEIR RIGHT MINDS think this is a good idea? There's not enough crack in the world.

Ouch. IMO, not being able to disable the auto high beam "feature" is a MAJOR safety hazard. Unless they've rewritten the functionality completely recently, Tesla's auto high beams are basically unusable, in my experience. Disabling that "feature" is the only way to get high beams to work on about 75% of the roads I've driven, thanks to it being completely unable to tell the difference between headlights, street lights, post lights next to driveways and houses, lights attached to highway signs, etc.

In fact, in all my life, I've only found one stretch of highway where they were even halfway usable, and that was on a road that Autopilot is massively unsupported on. And even on that road, there are periods of a few hundred feet when I have to hold the stalk to keep the high beams on because it gets confused by other lights.

Why would ANYONE IN THEIR RIGHT MINDS think this is a good idea? There's not enough crack in the world.

Is it ever really a "MAJOR safety hazard" to not have the high beams on?

Is it ever really a "MAJOR safety hazard" to not have the high beams on?
Yup. Try driving the road I linked with your low beams. (Hint: It's a horrible, winding road from h***.)

Also, any city street would be dangerous unless it is brightly lit, because you can't see pedestrians far enough out with your low beams.

Also, any highway with deer (or worse, moose).

hmmm, we have had different experiences on this. I have auto high beam on all the time and really useful to me. Works great. Wondering if it works better or less in different models. HOWEVER, I would not want the software to restrict me from turning it off while in AP in case I want to do that in the future.

• Helpful
Reactions: joelliot and T-Mom
Yup. Try driving the road I linked with your low beams. (Hint: It's a horrible, winding road from h***.)

Also, any city street would be dangerous unless it is brightly lit, because you can't see pedestrians far enough out with your low beams.

Also, any highway with deer (or worse, moose).
But you blind the pedestrians with your high beams. A blind pedestrian in a busy street is at much greater risk.