Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

re-install front bumper 2015 Model S - tips or things to be aware of?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all - so I did something dumb the other day - well, probably avoidable at any rate. I parked up against a curb in the parking lot, and did not see the piece of rebar that holds the curb in place poking up a couple of inches. And helpfully painted the same color as the curb. Anyway, I backed up, bumper came off, hilarity ensued.

I was able to snap it back in place for the most part and everything works, but I would like to now remove it properly and make sure I get everything snapped into place and replace any clips that may have broken.

There are plenty of videos on how to remove the bumper, and I feel pretty confident I can remove it again. However, none of them show how to reinstall. I assume of course it is the reverse of removal - but: is it held in place by those white plastic pop rivets? I know there are the bolts at the top near the headlights, and the torx in the wheelwell, trim rivets along the chin spoiler, and of course tabs to separate it from the fender... but what holds it in place along the front?

Anyone with experience or a specific video/pics showing REINSTALLATION please chime in? i don't want to get it removed only to break 2 or 3 of (whatever) and not have them handy.

TIA!
adam

Basically yes, it’s held by six metal screws and several plastic push rivets. Mine had two metal screws holding that undershield in section 2. marked separately by red arrows pointing up. But question would be are these holes that should be used for the screws/rivets still able to hold? There are side brackets by the fenders that also take great part in holding the bumper in place. Anyway, here is the guidance of the removal but basically just read it from bottom up. You need two person to put it back, otherwise you will scratch the headlights. It is doable in single person but you need to have supporting stands/block of wood to lift it close to the final placement.
B1896A7A-11BA-4E1B-B477-DA39D5D9BC65.jpeg

• Helpful
Reactions: ayavner
Thanks, that is about the clearest I have seen anywhere! :D I wasn't able to tell from the graphic, does this apply to the older (nosecone) bumpers? Or are they all the same?

Some reason I was expecting a line of those white plastic rivets across the front, most of which I anticipated shearing off. If I don't mind lying down, I can probably do this with the suspension set to Very High.

It does apply to the nosecone model, I have had mine off couple of times. I believe it should also be useable for the new bumper. Actually the bumper is in two sections, that undershield part is attached to the facial part with hidden clips buried in that inseam separating coloured part from that black plastic undershield. These clips can’t be replaced (as they are part of the two edges) so if damaged you need to find some other ways to fix that section. And yes, you do not need to take the whees off. Mine is coiled suspension so was able to do on situ.

• Helpful
Reactions: ayavner