TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Re-Match = Older VIN. Why?

Discussion in 'Model 3: Ordering, Production, Delivery' started by sdrevik, Aug 6, 2018.

1. sdrevik

sdrevik Member

They botched my earlier order (wrong color) with VIN 52xxxx

The 'rematch' has VIN 47xxxx. I'm very concerned, as I have heard of older VIN substitutes being cars with production problems, or maybe returned or something. I don't live near a service center, so this is a BIG problem for me if there's something wrong with the car.

What possible reasons could I be getting an older VIN?

2. GoodOmens

GoodOmens Member

47x is pretty new. Tesla doesn't use sequential VINs so chances are it was built after /same time as your 52x. They also batch by color so could also explain the differences.

• Like x 1
  3. JTesmod3

JTesmod3 Member

I wouldn't be too concerned about older vins having issues. Most people love to complain and voice those complaints as much as possible to everyone(Im not saying they are not real) but the ones who love the car and are satisfied, those are the ones you usually don't hear from because their too busy buying aftermarket accessories, testing 0-60 times, and detailing the car:)

4. sdrevik

sdrevik Member

Thanks! (wonder why they don't use sequential VINS? I thought from other threads that a higher VIN always meant newer....)

5. Big Earl

Big Earl Supporting Member

5,000 VIN difference is, at most, two weeks production. I wouldn't worry about it at all.

6. Trips

Trips "Boring bonehead questions are not cool. Next?"

Maybe someone ordered the wrong color so you are getting theirs.

7. favo

favo P3D+ owner

You can ask your IDA to look up production date in their database.

8. trunkmonkey

trunkmonkey Member

My VIN is 35XXX, built in June. I picked it up at the beginning of July. I know they aren't working in perfect sequential order, but my guess is both of yours were built in July. You'll be fine.

9. Jussta

Jussta Member

I got my car last week, fine 39xxx — made in 07/18.

10. VT_EE

VT_EE Member

11. Cybarrius

Cybarrius Member

They don't use sequential VINs because of what just sprouted this post "Older VIN". They want everyone to feel secure about their car. Doing sequential will make people think they are getting old cars

12. trunkmonkey

trunkmonkey Member

To be fair, not doing them sequentially has the same effect since people think they do.