Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Re-setting or Re-calibrating Falcon Doors

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Is there a specific way to recalibrate the falcon rear doors?

They are currently set to opening at a tighter angle, but I can’t seem to get them to fully open even in the open sky.

Is there a reproducible (ie easier) way to fix this or do I need to make an appointment at the Tesla service center for a re-calibration? I hope I don’t have to perform some kind of factory reset either.

TIA

Is there a specific way to recalibrate the falcon rear doors?

They are currently set to opening at a tighter angle, but I can’t seem to get them to fully open even in the open sky.

Is there a reproducible (ie easier) way to fix this or do I need to make an appointment at the Tesla service center for a re-calibration? I hope I don’t have to perform some kind of factory reset either.

TIA
1) Are you holding on the falcon wing icon on the central screen till the falcon wing opens completely, overriding the tighter angle.
2) You can also hold the falcon wing door opening switch to open fully overriding the tighter angle.

Mine seemed to gradually open lower in out outside the garage.

What I did is outside the garage I opened them fully by overriding them holding the open button on the pillar. Then on the dash the screen with the animated doors displays a button to open full at this location.

Now they open fully outside the garage and inside the garage they open a little further but still stop well before they come close to hitting anything.

Just before my 12v battery died, I was having the same issue. Tesla had to examine the logs to determine it was a 12v battery problem. The day the mobile tech showed up, I got the replace 12v battery soon message. So, it could be an early sign. Mine started similar to yours. Then it was asking me to calibrate the FWDs daily. The battery replacement fixed my problem.

• Helpful
Reactions: mkhalasi85
1) Are you holding on the falcon wing icon on the central screen till the falcon wing opens completely, overriding the tighter angle.
2) You can also hold the falcon wing door opening switch to open fully overriding the tighter angle.

Thanks for the feedback, guys. The above worked and all is working as intended in the open sky and in my garage.

How much do the doors move when you recalibrate? When I have to recalibrate, the doors open and move a few inches out and then come back and close. Then the touchscreen says calibration is complete. I would have expected the doors to fully open for a recalibration....

Model X Reset Techniques

The other day somehow one of my FWD or extended itself and there was a warning on the dash to re-calibrate it. I just did this from inside the vehicle and all was OK again again.

I think you are correct. I’ve had the replace 12v battery sign on for a week now and I am needing to recalibrate daily. I have already scheduled an appointment for mobile service this week.

Over the weekend my MCU stopped responding and the diver display was dark so I couldn’t open the FWDs, trunk, or Frunk. I had to manually lock/unlock the car and had to drive without the MCU. I let the car sit for a day and now the car is seemingly fine, with the diver display and MCU working. I no longer have the replace 12v battery message either but I think I should get it replaced.

Just before my 12v battery died, I was having the same issue. Tesla had to examine the logs to determine it was a 12v battery problem. The day the mobile tech showed up, I got the replace 12v battery soon message. So, it could be an early sign. Mine started similar to yours. Then it was asking me to calibrate the FWDs daily. The battery replacement fixed my problem.

• Love
Reactions: Evi_MX
I think you are correct. I’ve had the replace 12v battery sign on for a week now and I am needing to recalibrate daily. I have already scheduled an appointment for mobile service this week.

Over the weekend my MCU stopped responding and the diver display was dark so I couldn’t open the FWDs, trunk, or Frunk. I had to manually lock/unlock the car and had to drive without the MCU. I let the car sit for a day and now the car is seemingly fine, with the diver display and MCU working. I no longer have the replace 12v battery message either but I think I should get it replaced.

Get the 12V replaced asap! A failed 12V can leave you stranded. If you have MCU1, your MCU may have the emmc failure as well (or it could be related to your 12V failing).

How much do the doors move when you recalibrate? When I have to recalibrate, the doors open and move a few inches out and then come back and close. Then the touchscreen says calibration is complete. I would have expected the doors to fully open for a recalibration....
My door had gone well above the normal height if I recall. So the calibration involved full movement.

• Helpful

I have just the exact problem right now. Gets worse every day... multiple calibrations per day... (everything reboots and alarm goes off)...
Monday they'll replace the 12V battery.