Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Reactions to Model X reveal event

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The main concern with towing, IMO, will be how to access super chargers easily. Can't back into a supercharger with a huge trailer. Very difficult to accommodate for long range travel without superchargers.

The obvious answer is that you detach from the trailer. Here's a thought about that:
The active air suspension can help a lot.
1) raise the suspension to the highest point
2) drop the trailer's tongue support/jack, loosen the hitch, take off the chains, unplug the lights
3) lower the suspension
4) drive away.

Never have to jack up the trailer to get it off the hitch.

Of course, they could also start making some of the supercharger stalls pull-through.

Congrats to the first new Model X owners and to Tesla!!!

I really like the look of the X, and the front is unique. The X doesn't have a grille because it doesn't have an engine, and I understand Tesla's design direction here by not including even an artificial grille. Just that fact alone reminds me that it's 100% electric, and I think it's great!

Last edited:
I think the joke on the Bioweapon Defense Mode button lies in what it is actually for.. And that is for completely filtering all of the air inside the car quickly... That feature wouldn't necessarily be useful if the air outside was contaminated.. It actually only makes sense if either the driver, or one of the passengers, lets go of a bioweapon inside of the car... ;)

Anyway, now that the debate and bickering are out of the way. I do wish they did the following:

1. Demonstrated the extra ride height settings (I read that there are 5 now)
2. Showed how to secure bikes, snowboards, and surfboards on the accessory hitch
3. Demonstrated the new sun visors because apparently they extend all the way to the rearview mirror and attach magnetically
4. When the car came out, I wish they did a full 360 spin around like they did in 2012's X event with the headlights turned on fully so we could see

Other than that, I feel like it's going to be one of those cars where all the little features (ex the doors) will add up to a superb experience that can only be felt when driving it.

Because simply delivery a quality product is not enough. Good customer service is essential to the long term survival of the company. I want Tesla to do well, so that as a customer I will feel comfortable knowing that the company will have resources available to take care of me when there is a problem. So, that years down the road there will be enough support and interest in my vehicle for maintenance and resale. I am surprised that as a investor you don't want them to improve on areas where weakness has be identified.
As far as I know (owners feedback on forums, Consumer reports etc) the customer service of Tesla is one of the best that is out there. I think you are implying that a late launch event and lack of marketing speech (similar to other stagnant companies) is bad customer service. If that's the case, then we agree to disagree.

Yes the event was late and I stayed up to watch it, but like past events it's not necessarily the fault of the company's. Senior management was talking to the press prior to this. Would you prefer that they cut the press off? Perhaps he needed a break? Perhaps they were rehearsing last minute.

All those, were they the reason, are the direct fault of the company.

Instead of having him go to coaching which would be completely and utterly pointless be happy with the fact that he can speak off the cuff with authority and facts.

Or, you know, they could have someone who is a better communicator, do the presentation. With just a little preparation, any half decent public speaker could bring the message clearer (and on time). You can always leave speaking to the press and Q&A sessions, when you do need off the cuff authority and facts, for Elon himself.

I absolutely agree. When I read some of the comments in this thread, I just couldn't resist but to finally register an account and post my thoughts.

First thing I was gonna point out is that Tesla is not a 30 Billion+ company and they should act like one. They can no longer act like a garage startup working on a Linux distribution that people download for free. They are building $100,000 cars and at that price range people have expectations.

Tesla is not a $30B company - that is their market cap and that means squat--tomorrow they could easily have $15B market cap (just ask VW). Tesla is a $3B company (their annual revenues) and the event is about what I would expect for a start-up of that size in terms of production etc, and frankly, I would disappointed in Tesla if they were burning through capital on fancy marketing events.

The one thing I will find fault with yesterday is the time management--running an hour late for a customer facing event is pretty indefensible and reinforces the "Tesla Time" joke, but not in a good way.

All those, were they the reason, are the direct fault of the company.

Or, you know, they could have someone who is a better communicator, do the presentation. With just a little preparation, any half decent public speaker could bring the message clearer (and on time). You can always leave speaking to the press and Q&A sessions, when you do need off the cuff authority and facts, for Elon himself.
I disagree. Much of the halo that Tesla has is because of Elon Musk. It attracts attention way beyond a marketing or any other guy can. For example- I would not be spending so much time on forums if I didn't had the chance to feel connected to a great man doing something for mankind's good (not that anyone cares).
I also disagree that he is a bad public speaker. He speaks to the point instead of presenting a beaten/rehashed feature as the next big thing. He is funny, I laugh a lot hearing his jokes because he is true to heart instead of trying to make people laugh.
Its fine that you dont like him as a speaker. Agree to disagree.

- - - Updated - - -

Tesla is not a $30B company - that is their market cap and that means squat--tomorrow they could easily have $15B market cap (just ask VW). Tesla is a $3B company (their annual revenues) and the event is about what I would expect for a start-up of that size in terms of production etc, and frankly, I would disappointed in Tesla if they were burning through capital on fancy marketing events.

The one thing I will find fault with yesterday is the time management--running an hour late for a customer facing event is pretty indefensible and reinforces the "Tesla Time" joke, but not in a good way.
Well said. Its still a young company. I also agree that Elon should try to start events on time as it is a big source of discontent among some people. Though there are always some people discontent no matter what you do (no offense to any one).

ie. no fold down rear seats or cupholders, then there is a bigger problem.

As for the cupholders, look a the video at 22:21. The picture shown on the overhead monitor clearly shows cupholders at the rear of the front center console for the 2nd row passengers. It's been shown in many of the DS shots that the 3rd row has cup holders between the seats.

Cupholders,nailed!

I think we've been spoiled by Apple keynotes. They have definitely raised the bar. I did watch the BMW i3 introduction amongst other automotive presentations and they're usually awful. The management often talks about things that sound like corporate speak with little real information. Plenty of loud music with heavy beats and then we listen to someone drone on about corporate nonsense in the most bland way, punctuated sometimes with publicity stunts that seem quite pointless.

Yes, Tesla should have started on time. They should not have had Musk travel right ahead the launch. They should have had the media come in after the presentation - that means doing the presentation first, in the morning, and then have the media go through the products afterwards. This is what Apple does at a keynote. It does seem that Tesla spends little forethought on this part of the business. That does not necessarily reflect poorly on their engineering, product planning, or other aspects of their business.

There are so many questions about the Model X that is unanswered. The automotive press seems to be still undereducated about Tesla's vehicles and their reporting is aimed at an audience that is largely Tesla ignorant. Therefore they don't typically answer the questions we, as Tesla owners and prospective owners want answered. This is unlike an Apple keynote, after which Arstechnica, Recode, Anandtech, and others fill in the information vacuum quite handily.

We will get there, but it will take time.

Where on this graph are we now?

Hype-Cycle-General.png

I think we've been spoiled by Apple keynotes. They have definitely raised the bar. I did watch the BMW i3 introduction amongst other automotive presentations and they're usually awful. The management often talks about things that sound like corporate speak with little real information. Plenty of loud music with heavy beats and then we listen to someone drone on about corporate nonsense in the most bland way, punctuated sometimes with publicity stunts that seem quite pointless.

Yes, Tesla should have started on time. They should not have had Musk travel right ahead the launch. They should have had the media come in after the presentation - that means doing the presentation first, in the morning, and then have the media go through the products afterwards. This is what Apple does at a keynote. It does seem that Tesla spends little forethought on this part of the business. That does not necessarily reflect poorly on their engineering, product planning, or other aspects of their business.

There are so many questions about the Model X that is unanswered. The automotive press seems to be still undereducated about Tesla's vehicles and their reporting is aimed at an audience that is largely Tesla ignorant. Therefore they don't typically answer the questions we, as Tesla owners and prospective owners want answered. This is unlike an Apple keynote, after which Arstechnica, Recode, Anandtech, and others fill in the information vacuum quite handily.

We will get there, but it will take time.
I haven't watched Apple's keynote but I watch Google's. I agree there presentation is better. But I wouldn't compare them with Tesla. Tesla is a company that is fighting an uphill battle against politicians, dealers, people who don't care, investors who don't understand its goal, oil companies, big oil car companies, technological challenges of a new technology etc. Google (internet arm) is just making a phone that is just a marginal improvement over last years. Lots of companies make phones but no one make electric cars.
Hence, the nature of endeavor of Google (internet arm) is very different than that of Tesla. Tesla needs the halo effect of Elon otherwise the publicity it receives will drop significantly. I also like to hear from the man itself instead of his employees/followers. (my opinion, I maybe wrong).

So, spending R&D resources on Falcon door and mono-post mount 2nd row seats that don't fold are excellent use of capital then?

I do give Tesla credit for not flooding the place with showgirls.