Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Reactions to Model X reveal event

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Isn't this what makes this a great place?. For far too long many ardent supporters of Tesla in this forum were accused as fanboys, Muskuvites, Teslarians who can find nothing that Tesla can do wrong.

Nigel's decision to cancel and his post here clearly shows thats not the case and thus lends a lot of credibility to the support Tesla received and continues to receive in this forum.

This should only be a big source of concern to those shills and trolls in Seeking Alpha and other outfits, because this forum becomes even more a reliable, credible and trusted source of information on Tesla to the general public.

I was thinking the same thing. Hard to keep accusing people of being mindless fanboys when clearly they're making decisions based on more than 'I Heart Tesla'.

You appear to be saying that any online criticism of Tesla will be taken out of context, distorted, and used against Tesla by its enemies, and therefore Tesla should not be criticized if it makes a product that fails to deliver on a promised feature.

Not exactly. What I am saying is lose lips sink ships. Tesla has said that customer word of mouth is its most important weapon. A positive customer referral has been valued by Tesla at $2000. Given that Tesla's 'competitors' are not competing with products but instead are competing with libel in the media it is important to be mindful of the real-world effect of turning that word of mouth weapon on Tesla and publishing a customer anti-sell given that it WILL be quoted out of context and WILL be multiplied by a thousand at a minimum. If someone thinks that Tesla deserves to be dinged $2,000,000+ then by all means have at it. If that was not the intention (and I don't believe it was for a minute) then I think it is worthwhile to highlight this multiplier in the name of prudence.

I have every respect for NigelM's and AlMc's purchasing choices and my comments here are NOT an ad-hominem attack on either of them - my concern is actually to see them victimized in the media. Their personal car purchasing choices are a private matter and none of my business. Sadly in this case it is now everybody's business and proof of point that TMC is not a walled garden. I have just voiced my disappointment at being linked to TMC from a article bashing Tesla.

P.S. I did not know that NigelM was no longer a moderator - but that just goes to highlight the disconnect between reality and perceptions. My perception was that a well known TMC moderator was being leveraged in the media to damage Tesla - which seriously sucks.

Obviously it would have been better had Tesla unveiled a huge loading space on the 29th September and communicated better with its initial Model X customers about plans for delivering a huge loading space to Sig reservation holders that expected that feature. That is an entirely separate subject that is probably better expressed via a different communications channel. All I am seeking to do here is to highlight media imbalance as a thing to think about. Nothing to do about the past, what's done is done, I hope this may be helpful to someone considering communications options in future.

Last edited:
Julian, many of us get your concern. But, at this point, I think Tesla and Elon can and should fight these battles on their own first, vis-a-vis any media misrepresentation, etc.

We, as customers and supporters, should actually keep Tesla honest and grounded in terms of building what customers want (yes, it's not a one-size-fits-all situation there for sure). This forum and the well-articulated posts from the likes of NigelM, AIMc, Cottonwood and many others (some of the most balanced folks on TMC for many years in my opinion) are and should be how such feedback should be conveyed to Tesla in addition to any direct contact, when possible.

I have every respect for NigelM's and AlMc's purchasing choices and my comments here are NOT an ad-hominem attack on either of them - my concern is actually to see them victimized in the media. Their personal car purchasing choices are a private matter and none of my business. Sadly in this case it is now everybody's business and proof of point that TMC is not a walled garden.

This is a rather ludicrous view. Their personal car purchasing choices are something that they explicitly chose to share with the forum--a place that everyone here understands is not a walled garden.

I get that you think you have Tesla's best interests at heart, but suggesting that Tesla enthusiasts not discuss topics that the media may inadvertently or intentionally misconstrue and publicize is... not a thing that is going to happen. This is a place where we discuss Tesla and related topics. It's a place that guests are allowed to visit. Neither of those things will (or IMO should) change.

criticism.jpg

Management at Tesla wear big-boy/big-girl pants. They can take it. Reservation-holders/buyers are certainly entitled to share their thoughts on the vehicle. Nigel/Al/et al among the Sig folks who put money on the line years ago even more so.

Seriously, Julian, we do not have to be so concerned about Tesla's day to day stock price. If you want to have those kinds of discussions, do it in the investor section. The primary reason I made an investor sub-forum was to not to have to pollute the rest of the forum with comments that clearly focus around those types of concerns.

Tesla's success is ultimately up to them. It's ok for TMC members to want Tesla to do better and to express that opinion. I do believe the Model X will become better over time, just as the Model S got better over time.

Seriously, Julian, we do not have to be so concerned about Tesla's day to day stock price. If you want to have those kinds of discussions, do it in the investor section. The primary reason I made an investor sub-forum was to not to have to pollute the rest of the forum with comments that clearly focus around those types of concerns.

Tesla's success is ultimately up to them. It's ok for TMC members to want Tesla to do better and to express that opinion. I do believe the Model X will become better over time, just as the Model S got better over time.

I would actually say that Tesla's success and the ICE and Oil Industry's demise is much more in the hands of consumers than most consumers realize. Hence the inordinate efforts of oil and auto to manipulate public perceptions vs a tiny startup that just happens to capable of opening hearts and minds to an alternative world view to one dominated by fossil fuels.

I think I have said what I needed to say and I hope most people can understand that it has nothing to do with concern for the stock price and everything to with taking a moment to think about the the impact of TMC writings beyond the realms of, or even contrary to a contributor's worthy and good intentions. I hope in that light this thought exercise has been useful to someone.

Given that Tesla's 'competitors' are not competing with products but instead are competing with libel in the media it is important to be mindful of the real-world effect of turning that word of mouth weapon on Tesla and publishing a customer anti-sell given that it WILL be quoted out of context and WILL be multiplied by a thousand at a minimum.

I have every respect for NigelM's and AlMc's purchasing choices and my comments here are NOT an ad-hominem attack on either of them - my concern is actually to see them victimized in the media.

When I first leased my 2014 Cadillac ELR, I gave it glowing reviews and was quoted on several quasi-media pages and one "real" media outlet. Then, after driving the car for a little while, I realized that it was a flawed bait-and-switch car with no price support from GM, and I got rid of it. I also posted that experience online, which several quasi-media pages and two "real" media outlets quoted, and I took a lot of flack from ELR fanboys who felt my criticisms were unfounded and that it would hurt the car's future prospects.

Cadillac is still around, GM is still around, the 2016 ELR just got released to much praise, and I'm still around. So I think your hyperbole is a bit misplaced. NigelM and AlMc aren't going to destroy Tesla or its stock price, nor are my own complaints. If the Model X appeals to the necessary number of people to make it a success, then nothing anyone posts here will make a whit of difference.

This is a rather ludicrous view. Their personal car purchasing choices are something that they explicitly chose to share with the forum--a place that everyone here understands is not a walled garden.

I get that you think you have Tesla's best interests at heart, but suggesting that Tesla enthusiasts not discuss topics that the media may inadvertently or intentionally misconstrue and publicize is... not a thing that is going to happen. This is a place where we discuss Tesla and related topics. It's a place that guests are allowed to visit. Neither of those things will (or IMO should) change.

Management at Tesla wear big-boy/big-girl pants. They can take it. Reservation-holders/buyers are certainly entitled to share their thoughts on the vehicle. Nigel/Al/et al among the Sig folks who put money on the line years ago even more so.
Criticism? What has Tesla done to earn this criticism? The final product has been put forward by Tesla, its not like that if enough people are going to express their discontent then Tesla will make major changes to the product. As the company gets bigger it should discourage the events of people showing discontent in hope of changing the product according to their will. The product should be final, if people want to buy it then that's good otherwise they can go somewhere else.

I would just like to point out that the amount of money spent on anti Tesla publicity and the stunts that support it, vastly exceeds Tesla's annual turnover. Take the dead-end technology of hydrogen fuel cells - $billions sunk into a smoke and mirrors act aimed at dividing energy policy debate and persuading politicians of a false alternative to Tesla - successful at doing that at the policy level too even in California but also in London UK and obviously in Japan - they want to theme the 2020 Olympics after it for crying out loud while shipping in naphtha-derived hydrogen in oil-tankers from Saudi Arabia. Take the efforts to present Natural Gas as clean despite GHG emissions that exceed those of coal accompanied by appalling devastation to landscape and water resources - twinned with efforts to cut subsidies to Solar and block the sales of Tesla vehicles State by State. If analysts that speculate that oil prices dumped to $40 per barrel is in some way connected are correct - just a repeat of the reaction to the EV1 - then the amount by which efforts to distract the public from the benefits of electrification demonstrated by Tesla exceeds Tesla's annual turnover by at least 1000:1 ($Trillions) - without a single credible competing product at a competitive price point even on the horizon.

This is not business as usual. While naturally the main event can only be conducted by Tesla itself and Musk in particular, perceptions matter and the cohesiveness of the TMC family is far more important in the war on oil addiction than I think it gives itself credit for.

There is a line from the movie Traffic delivered by Michael Douglas in the character of Robert Wakefield:

'If there is a war on drugs, then many of our family members are the enemy. And I don't know how you wage war on your own family.'

Last edited:
The left picture, with the fake grill, to me is for sure better looking. The production version looks like there is too much white-space around that area, and it looks "pinched". Obviously my personal opinion but I like the look of the prototype way better...

I like being true to the car's function - no grille or fake grille needed - but admit it takes some getting used to.

Can someone try Photoshopping license plates on both? I think the release version is looking for a front plate.