Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Reactions to Model X reveal event

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
+1, try the black, blue, gray and sig red. :) Like those a lot. I'm liking the blue more, need to see it in daylight/in person to see if I'll fall in love. Right now Sig red is still up there.

Honestly, I'm even getting used to the white, though I'll say it took the longest. Good thing, because that's probably what we'll choose when the time comes (and if we're still game).

I like pearl white. The white at the reveal I believe was the standard white. For me, it looks odd in the front. Additionally, the DRLs are very bright and also a very pure white color. The combo looks off to me. My wife and I are leaning towards blue for now. If the nosecone was different I could see white winning.

Can't help but think of this scene....

[Neo with no mouth]

Or a Protoss from StarCraft:

Selendis_SC2_Head3.jpg

En Taro Adun!

Thanks. Is that the official mounting spot? On the S they put it on the nosecone because otherwise it would block the radar - though on the X the radar may be on each end of the black opening. I checked the random X sightings thread but neither Elon nor Jurvetson have front plates. Aren't they required in California?

Honestly, I'm even getting used to the white, though I'll say it took the longest. Good thing, because that's probably what we'll choose when the time comes (and if we're still game).

The white looks way better in person--I was surprised at how much I liked it. What gets lost in the online pics is the subtle shading for the curves in the front--its not as bland and featureless as the pics make it look.

Yes, but enforcement is pretty lax and spotty. A "friend" has run without a front plate on different cars for 15 years and got dinged twice. (avoid parking on the street in SF, I hear). The vast majority of Teslas I see in the Bay Area have no front plate.

A "friend" I know has run without a front plate in the Bay Area since 2007 and only received one ticket in Berkeley at a parking meter 2 years ago. Now, said "friend" keeps their front plate between the front seat and console and places it on the dash on the driver's side and hasn't received another ticket when parking on public streets, including Berkeley's.

As far as color goes, I saw all the ones at the X Reveal, and my favorite is the Metallic Blue by far.

Does anyone know definitively (if that's possible with Tesla and the X :wink:) if the "Ultra White" seats will be offered to production next week when they are supposedly going to start inviting us, or was that just for Sig X as white leather was for Sig S?*

I'm also wondering if a "Ludicrous" upgrade will be made available for X P90D's later on as it was for the S?

I also hope that the person that keeps posting on and on so overly concerned about some Sig folks canceling or downgrading their reservations because the X doesn't meet their use case(s) and the "media reaction" just calms down. IMHO, the Model X will "go viral" when people see the falcon wing doors open in parking lots, which will attract them to take a closer look and discover some of its other innovative features. Tesla will have no trouble generating enough demand for the X. If the TSLA shorts and haters manage to get the price below $200/share, that may be an attractive level to pick up more shares. Most of us who bought stock are in this for the long haul. Personally, I couldn't care less what the price is day-to-day, since I don't do short term trading and my basis is so low. Perhaps the person that keeps posting bought shares when TSLA was at a recent high?

* I have a Chrome bookmark that goes to "My Profile". I click it a couple times a day hoping that the "You will be contacted ... " message has been replaced with something more interesting...

...Does anyone know definitively (if that's possible with Tesla and the X :wink:) if the "Ultra White" seats will be offered to production next week when they are supposedly going to start inviting us, or was that just for Sig X as white leather was for Sig S?...
Since the Ultra White Seats is the only choice when desiring synthetic materials, it would make sense for Tesla Motors to offer Ultra White Seats to everyone, especially since their public web pages are showing the Ultra White color as the FIRST choice! Model X | Tesla Motors

Since the Ultra White Seats is the only choice when desiring synthetic materials, it would make sense for Tesla Motors to offer Ultra White Seats to everyone, especially since their public web pages are showing the Ultra White color as the FIRST choice! Model X | Tesla Motors

Don't mean to confuse the issue further, but several folks at the Tesla launch event, and others by phone since, told me that the white seats are indeed leather! The fact that the current updated Model X reservation page on the TM Website does not have the word "leather" for the white seat option only, and that it exists as a choice, makes me believe that it is not leather and that it will be available for regular production. It would be great if we got a formal public confirmation from Tesla on both fronts however.

Don't mean to confuse the issue further, but several folks at the Tesla launch event, and others by phone since, told me that the white seats are indeed leather! The fact that the current updated Model X reservation page on the TM Website does not have the word "leather" for the white seat option only, and that it exists as a choice, makes me believe that it is not leather and that it will be available for regular production. It would be great if we got a formal public confirmation from Tesla on both fronts however.
You are right, if it was leather, it should say so in the Design Center or on the Tesla Model X web page. Model X | Tesla Motors - Notice that the word 'Leather" is shown only for "Tan" or "Black" seats.

On September 1, just after midnight, I did report that I ordered "White Leather Seats" because that is what was shown in the Design Studio. That may be one reason some still think they are leather! The Ultra White Seats felt very soft at the Launch, so that helps support those early posts. But later that day, on September 1, a change occurred that was seen on our configuration printout that Ultra White was cloth! Later that day the Design Center only said, "Ultra White Seats" and multiple calls to Tesla Motors verified that the material is synthetic. They even told me to visit the Tesla store and feel the materials used next to the cloth seats to feel how the synthetic leatherette materials feel.

Unfortunately, the Tesla Motors Club forum does not allow us to go back and edit the incorrect information that was posted that day. Early posts and images might show "leather" for the white seats when it is really "synthetic".

(One reason for the synthetic materials may be the two groups at the stock holder's meeting that made public statements for non-leather materials.)

Last edited:
Maybe you could share some of it directly on the forum? I am not big on following links that take me away from here ...

Here is an interesting quote from that article:
I saw Franz von Holzhausen, head of design at Tesla and thought I could have a little chat with him. I finally got a chance and I was ready to ask him everything I could think of. I saw his eyes and I saw tiredness. I know exactly how that feels, so I resigned from asking any elaborate questions and went to my main concern; could the second row seats fold? “Unfortunately, no” he replied. They where such a big design project that they took a stand on what was physically possible to do with the functions they wanted out of them. If you want to carry and transport larger things, they provide the trailer hitch. Period.