Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Reactions to Model X reveal event

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Some people also thought the same about X. It was late, but when it came it was an awesome car. We have came across leaks about the testing of Autopilot, just like there were leaks of X all around before the launch. In my guess, Autopilot would arrive on cars around late October. And when it will come, people might yet again be swept off their feet and would be happy that they took time to perfect it.
Presuming X is getting autopilot? Has that been confirmed?

Presuming X is getting autopilot? Has that been confirmed?
Why X wont get autopilot ? It doesn't make any sense. In fact X already has most of AP features which are still unavailable to S (based on pics during X launch, though it might be only for show and founders cars would not have them).
If you are asking for data (though I don't think it is needed here), please rewatch the X white mule video. The car was swerving/bouncing between the lane markings which is a sign of autosteer/lane keeping testing.

Lots of good stuff. Selfishly, I hope the MX does well since I'm a Tesla stakeholder, being a P85D owner. My fear is that unlike the MS, which is a great car for outings, errands, commuting and day trips, an SUV is not only used locally but is the car a family fills up with baggage and kids to go visit Grandma in another city. And while superchargers make that feasible, they don't make it convenient compared with ICE cars and gas stations: especially with kids saying 'are we there yet?'. That doesn't hurt the MS because most people who can afford that car also have a gasoline SUV for long trips if they need one. I hope I'm wrong about this and its long-run effect on MX sales, but as much as I love my MS, I would rather have a similarly-or-lower priced Range Rover (and do) for the other role than an MX.

Some of the comments I get from ICE owners is that it is too close to the ground for an SUV. How would it handle in deep snow conditions?

Maybe you and or they missed the screen shots showing these were all set to "very low" in the adjustable suspension and can be raised considerably by just pushing a button on the screen inside the car from warmth and safety?

I can't imagine ground clearance being an issue on a Model X in any way unless you are a technophobe and refuse to adjust a setting in the car.

Poorly organized event in general. If you noticed the guy leaving the car and the front door opened and Elon had to walk over to close it again. What was that about?
The part with the two other cars parking close to the X, what did that prove? So you can squeeze into the rear seats through the opened Falcon wing doors? So what? One needs to get into the front seats to drive away. Duh!
It was choreographed very poorly as Elon had to wait a number of times for the cars to be driven in. It was poorly lit.
The car is ugly. It looks like an obese Model S. It could be a cross between a sedan and a KIA Sorento.
Quite unimpressed. It will certainly NOT get second looks by passersby on the street like the Model S does. It won't get a thumbs up either by passersby, like my Model S does either.
Why didn't thy make the Falcon Wing doors as one big door on both sides? Doesn't make sense that the front doors open normally.
I am generally disappointed with this car. As mentioned, it is ugly, obese, and really doesn't store more gear than the Model S other than you can pile stuff higher inside.
I rate this a 2 out of 10.
The front nose is ugly and looks unfinished as well.

The part with the two other cars parking close to the X, what did that prove? So you can squeeze into the rear seats through the opened Falcon wing doors? So what? One needs to get into the front seats to drive away. Duh!

Ah, it's education. There are plenty of people, if not most people, that assume the Model X rear doors take more room to open than conventional doors. The demonstration is to show that isn't the case. Also, there are situations in car garages where there is less room near the falcon wing doors than the front door.

Since this vehicle is based on the same platform as the Model S, it would naturally follow that it has similar dimensions in terms of width and length. The differentiator is height. Of course, if you don't like the CUV kind of design, Tesla does offer the Model S.

Model X Reveal event. Your thoughts?

Mightily disappointed. It was poorly choreographed, as well as Elon had to "wait" several times for the cars to be brought in.
What was happening when after the first car was brought in and the driver exited, Elon had to walk over and re close the front door as it had opened by itself?
What did he prove by having the two ICE cars park next to the X? Sure, one could slip into the X through the opened Falcon Wing door into the "rear" seat, but from what I know about cars is that in order to drive away, one must be sitting in the "front" seat in order to do that. Could still be difficult to get into the front seat if another car parks too close.
The front nose is ugly, my opinion of course. It looks unfinished.
The car is "ugly". Again my opinion. Looks like an obese Model S. It is NOT a sexy looking car either. The Model X will not be getting any "thumbs up" from people walking by as is the case with my Model S.
I have absolutely no desire whatsoever to turn in my Model S for this variation of a KIA Sorento!
Again, my opinion only and you are entitled to my opinion. LOL!
You may also voice your opinion, of course.

I have to say that isnt the only reason for the doors. I dont know about you, but kids are generally getting out of those doors. Kids have the tendency to just open the door very wide and quickly without thinking. You dont need to be that close to another vehicle to ding it and your car door because of kids. The demo was to show just how close you can be to something and the doors have no problems opening. Not to mention it would still be easier to get to the front seat through the backseat with those doors. I once had to climb through the hatch of one of our Volts and make my way to the front seat because of people parking so close on both sides. Believe me those doors would have been nice to have. It was quite fun getting my self to the front seat.

Well, it's unfortunate that we (generalization) now are happy to put a license plate on the front bumper to cover up that expanse of nothing at the nose :p! My checkbook and I really wanted to not like the Model X - I don't even like the FWDs - but it is clearly the best CUV on the planet. It is not a perfect CUV, but the best. At the risk of sounding too biased, if you look at it, the Model S has been the best sports sedan overall (style, features, environment/efficiency, performance) for the past 2.5-3 years, which is a lifetime in the car industry. The Model X, I'm sure, will do the same.

That's right. If you only get information from this forum you would think only things SUV buyers care is the nose cone and the 2nd row seat that folds. But if you read the those first impression articles from Motor Trend, Cars and Drivers and the like these are barely, or not even, mentioned. Most of what they are saying is how great the Model X is on the road, better than even the best of sports sedans. In many people's mind that trumps everything else. Now you can have a vehicle that does a lot of moving people and cargo but you don't give up anything when you're not doing those.

My first impression was OMG the nose! It looks goofy, sort of like Olaf in frozen. The black on black nose looks ok but not black on white. If anything I'd get it painted body colour. The rest of it looks ok but then again I've never been a big fan of SUVs. I'll gladly be keeping my S for a long long time.