Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Reactions to Model X reveal event

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Is he a bad presenter though?

I may be in the minority here, but I've never found any of Elon's presentations to be "bad". Sure, he stutters and fumbles a bit, but he always gets the point across. It's just the way he is. I will be the first to say that Tesla (the company) has lots of problems with customer communications. However, Elon's style of speaking IMO is not one of these problems.

I'm undoubtedly in the minority, but the engineer/geek in me enjoys the comparatively unfiltered presentation of actual fact/design far more than typical market-speak regurgitated by slick presentation droids.

interesting reactions on this thread. When the livestream ended last night I closed my laptop and said to myself "what the hell was that??"

Concerning the delayed start - nothing new here. I've accepted a long time ago their PR / marketing team is among the most incompetent of any public company out there. Be it setting company targets or anything to do with time... Over promise and under deliver. Par for the course. It was hard not to laugh when that thing rolled out there in the middle of slide 2. Seriously, three years in the making with numerous delays and they accidentally bring it out at the wrong time.

Now onto to the thing that actually matters - the car. I'm sorry, I just don't get it. They took a model S and stretched it to look like a crossover, then slapped on some ridiculous doors that belong on a Lamborghini (let's be serious... theyre on there because they look cool, not for function). The second row seats that Elon hyped... Can somebody explain to me what distinguishes these seats from other high end SUVs?

I won't continue the rant. Blame it on too much hype or whatever - I think this roll out was a huge flop. Gunna take a look at this thing in person before officially canceling my reservation, but I'm 95% sure I'm out.

I love my S, and I couldn't see myself driving anything else. But this lack of execution makes me look forward to when other companies have a competing product. Tesla has a 5 year head start, but given this performance, I can't imagine they'll always be the leader in this market.

Now onto to the thing that actually matters - the car. I'm sorry, I just don't get it. They took a model S and stretched it to look like a crossover, then slapped on some ridiculous doors that belong on a Lamborghini (let's be serious... theyre on there because they look cool, not for function). The second row seats that Elon hyped... Can somebody explain to me what distinguishes these seats from other high end SUVs?

I won't continue the rant. Blame it on too much hype or whatever - I think this roll out was a huge flop. Gunna take a look at this thing in person before officially canceling my reservation, but I'm 95% sure I'm out.

The Falcon Wing doors are not a surprise and perform way better than prototyped/imagined. Why, may I ask, did you even reserve a MX in the first place and what competition is possibly better than the MX in the same price range?

The Falcon Wing doors are not a surprise and perform way better than prototyped/imagined. Why, may I ask, did you even reserve a MX in the first place and what competition is possibly better than the MX in the same price range?
[/COLOR]

eloder, I know you're a big fan of the MX and Tesla, just based off of your posts. I think all of us are big fans of Tesla and are hoping for their success, which is why we've put money down for this vehicle sight unseen. Some people have put serious enough money down, some have put nominal (5k) sums down. I see that you're not a reservation holder. If I might be direct, can I ask why you believe you're qualified to belittle the opinions of actual reservation holders, most of whom have been members here long before you arrived?

Being a shareholder, as I see you are, is one thing. I appreciate that, and many here are also shareholders. As a shareholder, I would hope that you would take the honest opinions of reservation holders and Tesla loyalists at their word instead of taking a repeatedly dismissive tone. You're not doing your company any favors, in my opinion.

eloder, I know you're a big fan of the MX and Tesla, just based off of your posts. I think all of us are big fans of Tesla and are hoping for their success, which is why we've put money down for this vehicle sight unseen. Some people have put serious enough money down, some have put nominal (5k) sums down. I see that you're not a reservation holder. If I might be direct, can I ask why you believe you're qualified to belittle the opinions of actual reservation holders, most of whom have been members here long before you arrived?

Being a shareholder, as I see you are, is one thing. I appreciate that, and many here are also shareholders. As a shareholder, I would hope that you would take the honest opinions of reservation holders and Tesla loyalists at their word instead of taking a repeatedly dismissive tone. You're not doing your company any favors, in my opinion.

I am genuinely curious why someone would blindly put money down on a vehicle with Falcon Wing Doors, if one abhors the concept of Falcon Wing Doors.

I am genuinely curious why someone would blindly put money down on a vehicle with Falcon Wing Doors, if one abhors the concept of Falcon Wing Doors.

I'm sure there are a variety of reasons for each individual. For me, I plan(ned) to buy the vehicle in spite of them because I care about the electric drivetrain and CO2 emissions. We have a MS and I'd like to replace the functionality of the van with another electric vehicle. If I could do so, but would have to live with falcon wing doors, I'd do it. However, things like non-folding second row seats also start to weigh in, and eventually you get enough facts to make a decision.

Life is not black and white. It's not falcon wing doors or not, period. It's about compromising here and there, and deciding how much compromise is OK. With the MS, AlMc said it best - there was no compromise, so the decision was simple. With the MX, for some of us, it's not as simple. I take issue with anyone suggesting it should be.

This will probably be my next car so put me in the impressed camp. The outrageous price aside (not as outrageous as TO and Vancouver real estate BTW), this is the best SUV on the market (safety, performance and fuel efficiency).

- - - Updated - - -

We are all entitled to our opinions. Don't cross the line criticizing other people's opinions!

We are all entitled to our opinions but if it can't stand some constructive criticism then it is not a valid opinion. There is nothing offensive in ecarfan's reply.

[/COLOR]

I put a reservation down under the assumption that the actual car would be much better than the prototype, as advertised. But, the actual car was the prototype. Let's be real, the fact Air filters and docking stations made it into the features roll out was pretty telling. No mention of autopilot, automatic parking, or anything else that all other high end cars either have already, or are working towards. Second, the second row seats that Elon wouldn't stop talking about. I was thinking to myself "okay this has got to be super cool!" Mmmm... Nope. They're completely normal, and from the feedback, worse than other cars.

But to your question. What competition is possibly better than this car in the same price range (so, include all but 4 suv models on earth)... I couldn't say. SUVs target a different breed. It's more about functionality/comfort than speed and performance. With that in mind, I'm thinking the X will be met with serious competition from the likes of Mercedes which is the leader in comfort/luxury.

The S is in a class of driving performance, and it wipes the floor with the competition. The X is a functional car with comfort, and that market is right up mercedes' alley. The performance of the X will likely make it a successful car, but from what I've seen (admittedly little), I can't say this is the best SUV ever built (as has been said a few times here).

- - - Updated - - -

It's not falcon wing doors or not, period. It's about compromising here and there, and deciding how much compromise is OK. With the MS, AlMc said it best - there was no compromise, so the decision was simple. With the MX, for some of us, it's not as simple. I take issue with anyone suggesting it should be.

Spot on. I never cared for the doors, but it was never a deal breaker.

Some of you might not be happy with the final product, but Tesla has been completely honest about and faithful in trying to make the production vehicles as good or better than the prototypes. To suggest otherwise is complete nonsense.

If the non-folding 2nd row seat is a deal killer for you, then kill the deal. But it was always just a concept of good storage space in the vehicle, which is hard to argue against given the frunk and under seat storage, not to mention the accessory hitches and towing capability. Go ahead and recommend folding seats to Tesla and let them know it's important to you, and maybe they will come up with another 2nd row seating option in the future.

REALLY???

I was anxiously awaiting the Tesla X event in order to make a decision on which Tesla should replace my BMW X6M.

Now I have to ask the question REALLY? because I don't get it.
First of all, what an embarrassing presentation (of course all this is my own opinion). Way late, and no one knew what was going on. Finally Musk comes on stage and, the genius he is (we will see in the future if he really is a true disrupter, or just a madman), acts like a 8 year old, giggling every 10 seconds.

Here comes the X, $130,000 k worth. I'm sorry, but in my opinion it looks like ****. I have to add that I love the lines of the S model, but this thing? Really? It looks like these wanna be Euro Mini Vans, Mercedes A Class,...Then the Bio Hazard Button? Really? or better WTF. Maybe he should have talked about the Autopilot, not a ****ing nerd Bio Hazard Button. What comes next, Mindcraft Button? How many of you guys have bought the S Model in hopes the Autopilot would be ready in the Summer, as Musk promised. Not a word about it

Then on to the interior. I'm amazed how Musk has the ability to sell an absolute **** interior for this kind of money. In fact sometimes I'm not sure if I'm at an Apple presentation ("95% of our users absolutely loooove the apple watch" Yeah Right), or Tesla presentation. Anyway, the backseats are not beautiful, the are **** utility seats, used in cargo vans. Absolutely ****, cheap and unpractical, but oh, you can store a bag underneath it. Look at a Mercedes, BMW or Range Rover. You will be able to fold the seat, or lean back and sleep. Now, seats like this cost money to manufacture..

Then the big one, the Falcon Wing Doors. Like everything, this is my subjective opinion. If the car would have had these doors in the front and the back, it probably would look pretty cool. But a minivan with these things only in the back, not my cup of tea. They remind me more of doggy ears than falcon wings.
So Musk decided to show us how practical they are and had the X parked between two cars. Guess what, who cares if the passengers can exit when the driver can't? The real problem are low garages, and there was a reason he didn't show this. because no matter what height detection system, if your garage is low, and you are tall, you will hit your head on your supercool Falcon Wings. And good luck quickly getting in and out, it takes an annoying long time until these doors are open/closed. Good luck in rain, too. Btw, same with the front door, have fun with them when you have to close them fast.

The interesting thing is, how often does one have adults in the back seats? Almost never? Maybe 20% of customers who are the super social "we go have FUN with our friends every weekend" kinda guys. Kids and teenagers don't care about how they get in the car. Btw, what happens when you hang on to these doors when they move up, kids love to do this.
Good luck anyway having these Falcon Wings fixed when something goes wrong while you are in the middle of BFE, like 90% of place in the US when you take a trip.

I forgot about the windshield. I have to wonder how this will affect driving in though sun light conditions. I also cannot imagine that this is safer than steel over your head. Then there's the dash 17 inch screen, not bad, but together with the new screen, will you still be able to see anything on the screen in bright sunlight, with your sunglasses?

Oh, then he showed us what the X can haul. Who cares when I can only haul it around the block? No word on the real important things. Again, what about Autopilot, what about other safety features, what about explaining the 'side crash avoidance' feature,what about bla bla bla. Btw, I guess the owner still has to change his wheels the same old fashioned way when he has a flat. Does the car even have a spare tire? What about heads up display? Trust me, once you experienced it in a BMW, you don't want to miss it anymore, absolutely amazing. What about infrared cam for night vision like all luxury Euro cars now have, what about pedestrian safety, what about,...oh wait a minute, all these would cost a lot of money, it's not just software, it's costly hardware. What a genius move, btw to put a $5 screen in the dashboard instead of costly hardware and to sell it as the next cool thing.

Sooo, again, this is an ultra luxury vehicle, not a 30k family van, and I have to ask: Really? I'm a gadget freak, early adapter, and always try to see the sense in new products, but I have a feeling that in a couple years the X will be one of those "what were they thinking" cars. At least the first generation.
Having said this, I'm glad I saw the presentation, and will get myself a P90D.
I would love to hear your input, maybe I'm completely wrong and missing something here.

Some of you might not be happy with the final product, but Tesla has been completely honest about and faithful in trying to make the production vehicles as good or better than the prototypes. To suggest otherwise is complete nonsense.

If the non-folding 2nd row seat is a deal killer for you, then kill the deal. But it was always just a concept of good storage space in the vehicle, which is hard to argue against given the frunk and under seat storage, not to mention the accessory hitches and towing capability. Go ahead and recommend folding seats to Tesla and let them know it's important to you, and maybe they will come up with another 2nd row seating option in the future.

Skotty, while I agree that if folding seats is a deal killer, then be prepared to kill the deal - it's unfair of you to say it was just a concept. It was just a concept highlighted at launch, it was just a concept in a news letter sent to reservation holders saying it would be present in the final version, and it was one of the concepts referred to in a newsletter that said the final vehicle would be everything and more as the shown prototype.

Tough engineering and manufacturing decisions need to be made every day. I have no doubt that folding seats will eventually be offered.

"Blindly" putting money down.. Did you have a sneak peak of the final product before the rest of us? Didn't think so.

"Abhors" is a strong word (also a word I just googled). I said the doors are ridiculous... As in ridiculously uneccesary. Buying a ridiculous bottle of wine for $300... Uneccesary, yes. But I don't "abhor" them.

Doesnt matter. My point was the functionality of this car didn't meet my expectations given the comments from the CEO and the delays to make it "perfect".

Id rather not get into one of these things where everybody starts arguing who has the right to argue. I abhor that.

View attachment 96217

EDIT: Identified by Stoneymonster as a single AP camera and rain sensor for wiper.
Yes. AmpedRealtor, Max* and the others know that the cars at the 9/29 event only had one camera but they are pointing out that the cars pictured on the Tesla website have two of those triangular camera openings. Zoom in, adjust the contrast, whatever and you will see a second camera in the picture of the front of the white X.

Here it is zoomed in:
84ae97c8c148c4bcac35835de3969987.jpg

Last edited:
Sounds like the X isn't the right car for you! I thought almost the opposite of you on almost all of these things-and frequently have adults in the second seats. I am sure it is the right car for me! :love: