Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Reactions to Model X reveal event

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Wow. I've tried to skim this thread but I had to pause at times to let the intolerance and snippiness on both sides wear off. Here are a bunch of my disjointed thoughts.

Huh? I'm sure others with better memories will help and correct this statement correctly. Are you absolutely sure that running an EV off an "average" US utility puts as much carbon in the air as a 40mpg ICE? I highly doubt that... I just won't easily be able to find all the actual facts and studies to refute it. So for now I'll just highly question your statement and [lazily] leave it to other better-informed people to show the truth.

Go here http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/Find.do?action=bt2

The comparison is to an ice car getting 23 mpg. For my ZIP code and comparing to a Tesla P85 I get that it is like an ICE getting 41 mpg. Of course the Tesla will get cleaner as the grid is cleaned up and the ICE car won't.

A lot of people seem to pair things that have no real reason to be paired. Running a meeting on time doesn't mean you have to be a deceptive company presenting BS to the public. Starting the Model X reveal on time would have been simple courtesy to the audience. I see nothing charming about it being late. Many small companies execute on time with public meetings. As an engineer, executing properly on one aspect of a design doesn't allow me to screw up another area. Similarly, just because a company does excellent engineering, they shouldn't get a pass on marketing and PR.

I like Elon's presentations style. I think it gives Tesla a good image and a distinctive character. However, all presentations aren't the same and he does better when he is rested. He seemed tired and hurried like he had more important things to do. I know he is busy but his staff needs to manage him better for these events. Ok, so that may be tough but engineering is tough so no sympathy from me.

I really think a tag team approach with JB would be a good
formula and maintain the engineering centric image of Tesla.

Second row folding vs. folding seats are a hot topic. I do wish the people who don't care could cut the people who do some slack. The "What would you do with all this space" picture shows why they had expectations that weren't met. Similarly, I find it surprising how dismissive some people are with posts that say "You don't need to carry XYZ very often." I liked the comment from another poster who pointed out that you rarely drive more than 60 miles in a day but people like the range of the Model S. In the Tesla price range (S or X), vehicles are purchased for more reasons than basic day to day needs. Vehicles are very personal things and if carrying an 8' sheet of plywood is important to a person then that's their choice. A good friend took his tuba to make sure it would fit in the Model S before he bought one. Personally, how a tuba fits isn't high on my list but it was on his. I respect that. By the way, the tuba fit but only barely. He now owns two Model S sedans.

To the "global warming is killing us and you care about seats" person, just look at the link above. It means you should use public transit or a bicycle. Also, avoid meat. Beef in particular accounts for a lot of global warming. Now, in reality, climate change will be fixed by designing alternatives that are so attractive that even people who don't care about climate change will want them. Wind is now cheaper than coal for power production. Once battery costs are reduced, BEV's will be bought because they are the better value irrespective of the environmental impact. We may wish that everyone cared and immediately changed their ways but I am talking about the reality of actually affecting change.

I like the front end of the X. I do think white was a poor color choice to focus on. I have a white car but the front styling works least well with white. Also, shooting from a low angle is unflattering. When seen from a level angle (other drivers) or above (walking up to the X) it is much better looking. It reminds me of the aggressive look of the Model S daytime running lights.

A lot has been made about the FWDs not mattering because the front doors are conventional. The same is true for minivans and the sliding doors are still useful. The point is letting rambunctious kids in and out without doors slamming into adjacent vehicles. The front door are used by adults who are hopefully more careful. Additionally, if you are dealing with carriers or car seats, the sliding door on a minivan is a big help and the FWDs look to be even better.

I too worry about the speed of the FWDs. The old Brickland got knocked because the electric gull wing doors left you standing in the rain while they opened. That was when they worked.

Otherwise I was more impressed with the FWDs than I expected to be.

I thought safety was a fine way to start. The X is a family vehicle. I suspect we all think about other things than safety when we get into a car. However, when our families join us I bet most of us move safety to the top of the list.

The air filtration discussion was fine had it been part of an extensive discussion of the car. I was left wondering if the doors and air filter were all there was to talk about.

I gather that the entire event was just to say "We shipped in the third quarter." However, I want the company to succeed and I wish that fact hadn't been so crammed in my face. I was left feeling that the X must be incomplete otherwise the reveal would have been more detailed.

You miss the point here. If you clean up the cars and move to renewable energy then you have a clean world. If you wait for everything to be perfect it will never happen.

So even if your car is fueled by a coal power plant it's still cleaner than burning gas. Eventually that power plant will be replaced with cleaner options and it will be even cleaner. Right now we have the choice of being leaders in electric cars and renewable energy and making that the next industrial revolution for the US. Or we can sit back and let the Chinese do it and then become a third world economy.

I'm afraid quoting an article in the WSJ doesn't do it for me. Notorious FUD, Murdoch-owned. I've downloaded the second article, note published the same month as the Model S initial deliveries, and will read it, thank you (but, I suspect Tesla has now turned a bunch of their conclusions on their head).

One more thing about the 40mpg comparison that I forgot to mention in my earlier post - you're equating a well-to-wheels pollution output for the Model S to merely what an ICE car generates itself, *without* the well-to-wheels factored in for drilling, transport, etc. So your comparison is completely unfair. See Robert Llewellyn's Fully Charged

I don't have any skin in the game for the 2nd row seats or the Model X specifically (although I think it will do very well in its target market), so I'm not commenting on that.

Valid points about production of oil. But the production and mining of the rare earth elements (for the batteries) is very destructive and energy intensive also.

Please don't take my points the wrong way, EVs are definitely a large part of the solution to our carbon/energy problems, and Tesla builds the best EVs by far. I am just sick of people patting themselves on the back for "zero emissions". In fact depending where you live, EVs vary from much much better to slightly worse from a carbon output perspective.

Like a previous post said it is a 2 stage process - move to EVs / transition to clean electric power. These can and should be done at the same time and buying an EV is doing your part and is commendable, but you are not saving the universe.

The solar panel argument does not hold water. If you have solar panels and no EV, that extra power (that you would have used to charge your EV) goes back to the grid to replace the need for that power to be generated at a power plant.

One more thing about the 40mpg comparison that I forgot to mention in my earlier post - you're equating a well-to-wheels pollution output for the Model S to merely what an ICE car generates itself, *without* the well-to-wheels factored in for drilling, transport, etc. So your comparison is completely unfair. See Robert Llewellyn's Fully Charged

The link I posted does include well to wheels. To quote the source:

Tailpipe CO2 emissions are multiplied by a national average factor of 1.25 to account for emissions associated with gasoline production, e.g., drilling, refining, and transportation, etc. (See 75 FR 25437, May 7, 2010)

I'm a huge Tesla fan but I think we need to be aware of what real world numbers are. Now, as we shift the electric grid off of coal and gas the numbers will improve. In fact I used my area (Georgia) for the data I posted but upstate New York or the state of Washington would change things. Upstate New York gives equivalency to an ICE getting 100 mpg. Washington gives an ICE equivalency of 65 mpg. Using a Leaf instead of a Tesla would improve things again in favor of BEVs. The Leaf is more efficient in terms of watt-hours per mile.

You have no basis for your statement "In fact depending where you live, EVs vary from much much better to slightly worse from a carbon output perspective." It was already refuted by "you're equating a well-to-wheels pollution output for the Model S to merely what an ICE car generates itself, *without* the well-to-wheels factored in for drilling, transport, etc."

You also forget the price in blood and treasure that oil has cost this country. We spent trillions of dollars in Iraq and if you think that would have happened if they had no oil they there is no point in talking to you.

The solar panel argument does not hold water. If you have solar panels and no EV, that extra power (that you would have used to charge your EV) goes back to the grid to replace the need for that power to be generated at a power plant.

This is an incorrect statement. In most states that have NEM, producing more than you consume means a check cut only for the wholesale energy rate, which is worthless. Therefore, most ROI analyses will show that a system that covers 80% of your use is a proper investment. When you purchase an electric vehicle, you have the potential to use more solar, and therefore the solar generation can truly be assigned to the vehicle.

I liked the air filter. By itself without context, you may say - "what?!?! they spoke about the air filter how long?!?!" but it was a brilliant piece of psychology: with Dieselgate ongoing, they could talk about clean air in a whole new way and anchor it deep down in people's minds that the Model X is a super clean and good car that doesn't pollute and leave the pollutants outside the car... Brilliantly done.

Dieselgate or not, the really nice Tesla air filter is not able to filter out NOx (oxides of nitrogen), which is the major pollutant emitted by the naughty VW system.(BTW, heavy trucks emit a lot of NOx as well). The particle size is too small.

When the Model X pulled out on stage the the camper my first thought was how are we going to charge pulling that trailer on a road trip when nearly all Super Chargers require being backed into. We would need to have some pull through charging points so we don't have to unhook the trailer or camper to charge up.
Elon I hope has a solution in place for those planning to actually pull a trailer or camper long distances.
Do you think there is any chance that a new division could be developed by Tesla called the Camper Trailer Division?
They could develop campers and trailers that have their own battery pack and drive train that when the power plug is hooked to the Model X the Power is shared between the two battery packs and the electric motors are synced when driving.
This would be fantastic for Range extending and going up hills and pulling in the winter.
Just a thought, I do however still think the Model X is fantastic and cant wait to get one of my own.

This is an incorrect statement. In most states that have NEM, producing more than you consume means a check cut only for the wholesale energy rate, which is worthless. Therefore, most ROI analyses will show that a system that covers 80% of your use is a proper investment. When you purchase an electric vehicle, you have the potential to use more solar, and therefore the solar generation can truly be assigned to the vehicle.

All the discussion of the pro & con of EV use is interesting, but seems to belong to another thread, as it doesn't seem to pertain specifically to Model X reveal.

Valid points about production of oil. But the production and mining of the rare earth elements (for the batteries) is very destructive and energy intensive also.

What rare earths? Tesla's batteries have mostly nickel, aluminum, and graphite. There's a much smaller amount of lithium, cobalt, and now silicon. There are no rare earths in the battery or in the motor.

I agree that solar is not a good argument unless one has installed excess capacity which is used for daytime charging. Most of us have not done that. Solar instead offsets the usage during the day for A/C, office lights, industrial equipment, etc. Charging at super off peak, one is using mostly baseload power plants plus wind. In a few areas, hydro is sufficient to both power night time load and increased EV charging load. Also in some places, wind power provides surplus energy. It is disappointing to me to find out just how much load we are still using at night at super off peak - it is only half of the daytime peak. I'm wondering what people are doing at 1 or 2am.

What I would really like is a smart charger that understands that I don't need to charge every night. But on nights where there is an excess of hydro, wind, nuclear or other renewables, I'd like to charge then. If the grid is overly taxed that causes natural gas to ramp, then maybe skip charging that night. This helps out wind power build out, as there are times that isn't enough demand to let wind power run at full capacity. When that happens, I'd gladly suck down power at 19 kW.

So not true. I get that in ordinary driving conditions, when making an evasive driving maneuver, or a crash of the type the Insurance Institute tests for, the car is very unlikely to roll over. But if it's driven off the road and over and down a steep embankment, it can most certainly roll over - and end up on its back - just like any other car.

Unlike almost all, if not all SUVs, the front doors are frameless. Which means that they will open just fine in a rollover. Not always true for framed SUV doors (front and back) which can be deformed in a rollover

For me the reasons I bought my Model S

- This is the future and I want to be part of it
- Most amazing car ever
- Great for the environment
- American built
- The less oil people use the less money we put in the hands of terrorist

I agree with all points except the last one. That whole "terrorist" / "oil wars" argument never worked for me. The US produces a lot of it's own oil, and the single largest foreign source for oil is Canada, and I really don't think we are a "terrorist state" by any stretch.

Dieselgate or not, the really nice Tesla air filter is not able to filter out NOx (oxides of nitrogen), which is the major pollutant emitted by the naughty VW system.(BTW, heavy trucks emit a lot of NOx as well). The particle size is too small.
Remember that the Tesla filter is not just a HEPA filter, but also contains additional stages designed to remove acidic and alkaline gases. NOx emissions are acidic and are probably removed by these additional stages.

That's exactly what I said - basically they have to design and make two different cars - something unreasonable to expect from Tesla during the launch of a brand new car.
In future, they may release variants if they have the budget or demand.
Having different core builds requires either factory retooling or secondary lines for production which means more spend. Being that Tesla isn't exactly rolling in profits yet, don't hold your breath.

For most americans, that electricity comes from burning natural gas. Many studies have been done and the average utility with a model S, puts as much carbon in the air as a 40 mpg gas car.
Source please? All of the comparisons that I've seen that put EVs close to gas cars in comparing emissions fail to acknowledge that it takes about 6 to 7.5 kWh of energy just to refine a single gallon of crude oil into liquid gasoline, plus additional energy to transport that fuel to filling stations. That same 6 to 7.5 kWh of energy could get you 20-30 miles in a Tesla. So an ICE car is already in the hole by a huge margin before you even start the engine. Because after the gas is refined and transported, you still have to burn it to get anywhere.

Here's the source for that: How much electricity is used refine a gallon of Gasoline?-video added! Gateway Electric Vehicle Club

And before you say you have solar panels, that does't really matter. If you had those panels and a 40 mpg ICE car, the impact is the same, since the power you do not use for your tesla would be fed back to the grid and thus forgo burning fossil fuels at the power plant.
A valid point, but many people I know only got solar panels *because* they were getting an electric car (or at least the purchase of the EV was the factor that put them over the edge). Also, in many states, the utilities dictate how much excess power they will buy back, so most solar installation providers will only install a system that is roughly equivalent to your actual usage. So if you have an EV (or tell the installer you are getting one), you can install a larger PV system than you could have without the EV, because your electricity usage will be higher.

In any case, the grid sources in the United States have been moving more toward renewables, nuclear and cleaner burning natural gas and away from more polluting sources like petroleum and coal. In 2014, coal was down to 39% of the grid, 10 years ago, that number was closer to 46%. And as this happens, EVs just get better and better for the environment. An ICE car doesn't get any more efficient or less polluting over time.

Can we all agree on Sea's intent here, and move on...

According to his posts, his intent is now to spend $140,000 on the P90D instead of the X.

I'm a guy who is annoyingly supportive of Tesla and the products they make, as I'm sure many people here are. Having said that, I'm genuinely interested in hearing all reactions to the X roll out, both positive and negative. Characterizing somebody's review as being too harsh, or as having some alternative motive... It's unfair and reminds me of a single child being exposed to the world for the first time. People do have different opinions, and some use stronger language than others. Get over it.

The fact that even die hard tesla fans are cancelling their orders, that's really helpful information. Conversely, people on the fence giving it two thumbs up - also useful.

So, instead of bickering about why people came to their personal conclusion (we're not going to change personal opinions), let's just accept the criticisms/praises and move on.

I'm interested in hearing reactions about the car without having to filter through 100 posts of why his/her opinion is more valid than the previous post.

Ill start it off clean. I put a reservation down with the expectation of trading in my P85D if the new features of the car blew me away as Tesla tends to do. That didn't come close to happening, and I am likely cancelling my order.

That whole "terrorist" / "oil wars" argument never worked for me. The US produces a lot of it's own oil, and the single largest foreign source for oil is Canada, and I really don't think we are a "terrorist state" by any stretch.

To balance out that thought:

In Canada :
eastern provinces rely on an oil supply that's imported from Saudi Arabia, Africa and Venezuela

Ref:
Canada imports oil while battling over pipeline exports - Politics - CBC News