Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Reactions to the Model X

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think the Model X looks more like a hatchback than a luxury suv... The Falcon doors make the car look almost cartoonish, if they were going to that route I would have preferred that all 4 doors be falcon style. The integration of the touchscreen looks unfinished and something that you would find on the TV show pimp my ride.....I hope this is not the future of the Tesla "design language."

I think the so-called "Falcon Wings" were just an attention grabber, but in reality a huge oversight. They are a deal breaker for a significant amount of buyers first of all due to the required overhead garage space which many do not have (aka. outside Southern California). The second reason, is the inability to carry a roof rack. How many people do you see with SUVs/minivans with Thule boxes, Bike racks, Ski/Racks, and Kayaks etc.. on the top? One cannot call the Model X an SUV without roof loading. Also the complexity, crash safety and evacuation, and hassle of all this wing business is not to be overlooked.

I also personally think that the back looks pretty frickin awful too. Look like a BMW X6 or even Pontiac Aztek. Perhaps it was in the name of aerodynamics or whatever, but I'm ashamed that they call this egg a Tesla SUV. What happened to maximizing cargo room?

If you had the option between conventional doors in the back or falcon doors, would you still take the falcon doors?
I think so yes but i will have to see it in first hand. I believe since the car has a slim design regular doors would make entry cramped especially if you have to help kids in the back get buckled up, with regular doors you risk the passengers slam the large doors in to a vehicle parked next to it. Sliding minivan doors are very practical but they wouldn't fit on a design with a sloping roof and does not feel very premium.
We will see what they feel like in person and if it changes my mind.

I love their enthusiasm. Always have. If you analyze what they were attempting to do and what they achieved you can argue that they proved, once again, that you can't be everything for everybody. But you do have to admit that it would be interesting to see if a kayak would fit inside with the two rows down. Elon said a queen-sized mattress would nearly fit inside. And a long board (I assume he meant a surfing board, which wikis out to 9-12'.) Sure, yep, the doors didn't exactly fold into two little wings on top of the car. But they did form a ceiling and wall that could provide protection from the elements should there be a downpour... and you could stand up to get things done inside the car before departure, increasing comfort in some situations.

I missed two things that I flew out to hear in person. 1] the price. 2] the range. Was I distracted by something, or did Elon simply leave these details out?

I love their enthusiasm. Always have. If you analyze what they were attempting to do and what they achieved you can argue that they proved, once again, that you can't be everything for everybody. But you do have to admit that it would be interesting to see if a kayak would fit inside with the two rows down. Elon said a queen-sized mattress would nearly fit inside. And a long board (I assume he meant a surfing board, which wikis out to 9-12'.) Sure, yep, the doors didn't exactly fold into two little wings on top of the car. But they did form a ceiling and wall that could provide protection from the elements should there be a downpour... and you could stand up to get things done inside the car before departure, increasing comfort in some situations.

I missed two things that I flew out to hear in person. 1] the price. 2] the range. Was I distracted by something, or did Elon simply leave these details out?

He left them out. Overall his talk was pretty sparse on details. But on the website it says 60 Wh and 85 kWh battery options and 4wd is an option so pricing should start around $60 K and go up from there.

I like it quite a bit. I'm a little concerned about the falcon doors being able to open in some parking garages. There are couple that I use periodically that are just barely high enough for the suburban to drive in. Anything over 7 feet isn't going to work.

If the falcon doors are opened by electric motors one could expect the possibility to open them partially (3/4) or perhaps a sensor like a parking sensor that stops the door just short of the ceiling. Doubt that they havent thought of the possible problem.

In my eyes it looks like a love child between a Cayenne and a Prius at first glance :) The falcon doors are ugly, but are closed 99.9% of the time so who cares?

Just my €0.02

I asked one of the designers up on stage what the range would be and he said just slightly less than the Model S, maybe 5% or so due to the increased weight of the larger body.

The falcon doors make quite a statement! I'm not sure how practical they are. They'd take some getting used to I think, but pretty cool. I put a deposit down on a production model - #17. How often am I on such the automotive cutting edge? Never until now!

I like it a lot!
Much better then I thought! Love the Falcon doors. They are much more practical then standard doors. Sliding doors are also good, but this looks much more impressive. If you have kids and you have motorised rear doors, you can never go back to classic doors!

I guess I will skip the Model S and reserve the Model X as soon as possible!

I've noticed some comments here and elsewhere disparaging the sloping rear of the Model X, wishing for a more boxy rear-end, and also others wishing for a wagon version of the Model S.

While I understand the pure aesthetic side of the argument, more boxy vehicle designs pay too much of an aerodynamic (and therefore range) penalty for a first-generation EV, when range and battery cost is still such a critical issue. This restricts the Tesla 'design language' for the foreseeable future. I don't think we'll see aerodynamically-inefficient Tesla vehicles for quite a while.

The only other EV option with a more traditional boxy SUV style is the Toyota RAV4 EV, coming soon.

I strongly prefer the long, powerful lines of the Model S, but I think they've done a good job translating that look into the taller Model X. Not the car for me, but a competitive entry vs. the Q7 and 5 Gran Tourismo.

There's going to be a gag reaction when the pricing is released, and TM did a poor job preparing people to hear it. The press is citing $50-$70k. They're wrong. TM is only offering the 60kWh and 85kWh battery, so they cheapest the X could possibly be is $68k base (before tax credits); more likely, TM will need to charge more for an X than an S to preserve margins, because the production cost has to be higher. I think we're looking at $70k (pre-tax) entry, running up to $120k for the Performance AWD Signature.