Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Reactions to the Model X

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
How many of you have tried to sit in the 3rd row in a regular minivan?
It is usually difficult to get in and out of and you force the mid-size children to go back there. If you need to seat more than 5 people, this is a huge step forward. You sacrifice roof racks, but I personally have dealt with the annoying 3rd row many many times, but have only once or twice dealt with a roof rack. For my bicycles I greatly prefer a hitch mounted bike rack. I don't care about the roof rack.

I am eager to see one in person.

Getting in and out of the third row in the prototype last night was nearly impossible for me, a 5'11" male, due to lack of room between the front of the rear seats and the back of the second row.. BUT, the second row of the prototype was not sliding fore/aft, and I was told that it will in production models. This could help quite a bit.

I feel like the Model X design makes some major strides forward in the automotive industry, but Tesla still didn't sell it to me.
They definitely should have focused more on the control and responsiveness of the dual motor AWD system. This is a serious performance upgrade, offering world-class acceleration and a better turning radius in a big vehicle. (the video mentioned it being tighter than a mini cooper, but the 12,500lb Mitsubishi-FUSO FE125 boasts the same thing). Hopefully some promising stats will surface once Alpha builds hit the road.
Also, the way Tesla managed to replace traditional side mirrors with non-intrusive video feeds is amazing. I know that it's pending regulatory approval, but the drag reduction, ease of visual cross-check, and possibility of traffic alert/recognition that this system provides is really the sort of next-generation feature that people expect in an EV. "Man--my car's so old it still has side mirrors" is the kind of comment drivers could be making a decade from now. I like that ModelX went there and brought it on a non-concept car (see: Ford Vertrek)
As far as the unveiling presentation goes, the soccer-mom focus on how easy it is to get in/out of and the storage space was way overdone IMO. It caters to geriatrics and parents of infants. I haven't seen any market studies, but I imagine that relatively few people will select a ModelX (~$100k fully loaded) over an Audi Q7 ($60k fully loaded) because it's easier to unbuckle the kids. Elon does have five boys and disposable wealth, so I can't fault him for catering to his needs.
The falcon wing/doors don't work for me either. Despite the "many iterations" it's still an inelegant solution. Seems like way too much engineering just to be able to say "It's not a minivan." At best, modify it to full length (thanks PV4EV) or offer standard doors as an option for more SUV-minded folks. My biggest gripe with the falcon wing doors is the wide arc it cuts once it reaches waist height. Did anyone else notice how it almost clipped the ModelS in the demo video? Click this link and jump to about 6:30 and you'll see what I mean: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZbDdJGpNJpQ Looks way worse than the click & drag demo at http://www.teslamotors.com/modelx
All I can come up with for now. Jury's still out, but I'll be looking forward to new updates.

Imagine sitting in the second row seat and closing the door in the rain. As the door closes, your knees and your back will get soaked. And you have no ability to close the door any faster.

I have absolutely no idea how you get that impression. The door completely covers the area like an umbrella. I seriously doubt the designers are that stupid. The bay area Tesla is in isn't exactly a dry climate. They're familiar with rain.

Last edited:
My biggest gripe with the falcon wing doors is the wide arc it cuts once it reaches waist height. Did anyone else notice how it almost clipped the ModelS in the demo video? Click this link and jump to about 6:30 and you'll see what I mean: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZbDdJGpNJpQ Looks way worse than the click & drag demo at http://www.teslamotors.com/modelx
All I can come up with for now. Jury's still out, but I'll be looking forward to new updates.

You realized that those two cars were 'close parked' where you probably wouldn't be able to get out or in of either car with traditional doors. As an avid 'close parker' You really have to be ~18" away from the other auto to squirm out of a traditional door.

Getting in and out of the third row in the prototype last night was nearly impossible for me, a 5'11" male, due to lack of room between the front of the rear seats and the back of the second row.. BUT, the second row of the prototype was not sliding fore/aft, and I was told that it will in production models. This could help quite a bit.

Also did the 3rd row. 5"11" and equally wide ;). Was a little clumsy but no different than some normal 2nd row backseats. And the 2nd row was motorized (passenger side) and they moved it forward for me. It was sloww so maybe why they did it sparingly.

Last edited:
That's about what JB said. Heavier weight but range augmented by having two regen systems.
Range is not augmented by 2 regen systems...one is all you need unless you routinely exceed the capacity of the one motor...and that seems highly unlikely, if there's a limit it's going to be at the inverter or battery level, not the motor level.

Somebody did...it doesn't make sense unless you exceed the regen capacity of one motor... glad to hear how that reasoning is flawed.

Based on only what I have read on this forum, regen is limited by the fact that the cars are RWD. With the cars being AWD more regen is allowed, therefore allowing more range to be recovered. Not saying it will get you a lot more range to make up the reduced range cause of the weight, but there have been plenty of threads where people talked about the advantage of AWD and increased regen.

-Shark2k

The
test track" was woefully short. Nothing like the Fremont event where we hit 70-80. As it was they ran out of Roadster room. I counted 45 and there may have been others sent somewhere else.. Getting in and parking there was painful. From that aspect the EVent would be better at an airport.

attachment.php?attachmentid=4189&stc=1.jpg

Model X Parking.jpg

Last edited:
I like it. I'd like to see the design of the rear changed a little bit to give it some 'bite', but otherwise I think it's pretty cool. I agree that the gull-wing rear doors are going to prevent canopy racks on the vehicle? Why buy an 'suv-type 4wd vehicle' when you can't take too-big-for-the-car items with you?

It'll be interesting to see how they address some of these flaws, still have time to change things around.

Last edited:
Somebody did...it doesn't make sense unless you exceed the regen capacity of one motor... glad to hear how that reasoning is flawed.
The problem isn't that there's any electrical limitation with rear-wheel only regen, but you can only regen up to a certain amount with the rear wheels only before you run the risk of upsetting the balance of the car, especially if you make any sudden direction changes. Essentially you will be traction limited far before you reach any electrical limitations.

Any sports car driver can tell you what will happen if you suddenly let off the throttle in a high-compression RWD car going around a corner and it's even worse if the road is slippery.

Given that the front wheels do most of the braking under moderate to heavy braking loads due to forward weight transfer, being able to use both the front and rear tires for braking will let you recover much more energy in more situations safely.

Depending on the state of charge of the battery, it's quiet conceivable that one could brake using regen only as quickly as the car can accelerate if you're able to use all 4 wheels for regen.

Given that the front wheels of the X will only have half the power of the rear wheels, you can't quite brake that hard, but 100+kW of regen plus whatever the rears can also contribute should be possible with AWD and would be quite a bit more powerful than what current production EVs limit regen to.

That said - chances are that Tesla will limit regen power to something around supercharger power levels to avoid damaging the pack.