Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Reactions to the Model X

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was at the event, liked the Model X much more than I thought I would, and ordered on the spot (P1 in Canada).

I suspect that many people complaining about the looks were not there in person. The vehicle looks MUCH more interesting, smooth and subtle in person than in photos/video. I am reminded about the reception the Ferrari 360 Modena first got in 1999. It was universally panned at first, but five years later was hailed as one of the most beautiful and innovative Pininfarina designs ever. And it became Ferrari's highest selling car ever, at the time. I find the lines of the Model X wonderful. It looks dramatic on first viewing, but does not tire the eyes with styling gimmicks-- it looks better and better the more you look at it and walk around it, and watch it drive. From 30 feet away, it does not look large at all; only when you get right next to it do you realize its scale. I think this will be a timeless design.

Falcon doors-- yes I had reservations at first, but functionally they seem well worked out, and will clearly be refined over the next year. I was able to button-hole Franz and asked him specifically about the height. He said that the necessary clearance is 7 feet, the same height as a standard garage door opening. So most people will not have a problem. They had to have tested this. and they can alway sacrifice a little bit of standing room to reduce the clearance an inch or two if need be.

Touch screen and dash design-- I like it actually much more than the S. The "floating" top of the touch panel makes it seem lighter and more accessible, visually. Overall, the interior felt better polished than the S, even at this early stage. The centre console is very nice. Those arm rests pull back to reveal two cup holders, BTW, I did it mysself.

I think the potential of the AWD is enormous. Yes, regen can be much more aggressive with 4 wheel balancing, as others have said above. The traction control should also be hugely better, increasing safety in rain and snow greatly. The turning circle was stunning. The first u-turn at the beginning of the test drive the X could do easily, while the S usually had to 3-point it! In fact, I asked Franz about this, and he said that at least in principal, they could get the car to spin on a spot (though obviously crunching the tires).

I went to the event wondering if we might convert our Signature S reservation to the X, especially because we live in western Canada, and have a 17% grade 200 metre long driveway. But now, my wife and I feel we really want to get both, to go with our dear Roadster-- a full complement of Teslas! We figure that we will keep these cars much longer than we have in the past, and that the long depreciation amortization will make up for the higher up-front cost.

I love it. I'm really looking forward to the Falcon wing doors. I live in rainy Oregon (we call mist "Oregon Sunshine") and I'm tired of standing in the rain while buckling my kid into his car seat. I think that the open Falcon door is going to provide a temporary cover while I'm doing that. Plus it'll make it easier to get the kids in and out in a parking lot. Also, Elon wasn't kidding about the 3rd row seats being inaccessible in an SUV with kids seats. We have 2 SUVs with 3rd rows and, in order to use them, we have to completely rearrange the seating configuration. It's a pain to say the least.

I was at the event, liked the Model X much more than I thought I would, and ordered on the spot (P1 in Canada).

But now, my wife and I feel we really want to get both, to go with our dear Roadster-- a full complement of Teslas!

Excellent feedback Vger! I'm gonna double-up on my TSLA stock! Oh wait, I've already spent all my savings on the stock I already bought. Darn. ;-)

Don't hold back, tell us how you really feel. Seriously, what were you expecting/ hoping for?

Originally when I heard "Model X" I was expecting more of an SUV, less of a crossover/minivan. Pretty much a standard-door, 5-seat version of what rolled out. And I was very excited about it.
But as soon as I found out it would hold 7 adults... meh. It's still in the minivan category in my book, albeit a quick one. And with all the focus on holding car seats, why it needs to go 0-60 in 4.4 is beyond me. Hope people still drive conservatively with kids in the car.

Originally when I heard "Model X" I was expecting more of an SUV, less of a crossover/minivan. Pretty much a standard-door, 5-seat version of what rolled out. And I was very excited about it.
But as soon as I found out it would hold 7 adults... meh. It's still in the minivan category in my book, albeit a quick one. And with all the focus on holding car seats, why it needs to go 0-60 in 4.4 is beyond me. Hope people still drive conservatively with kids in the car.

But you don't HAVE to put 7 adults in it :).

I suspect that my X will have most seats folded down the majority of the time, with 3 dogs roaming the back. And if the third row is an option, I'll pass - I can't remember the last time I needed space for 7 people. But I do want the space of the X. I'll get a custom liner made for the back, since it will also be hauling various Home Depot schwag, skis, bikes, camping gear, etc.

So SUVs designed to seat 7 people are minivans as well? I guess I'm just not getting where the "meh" comes from (I know my "meh" comes from the doors). They delivered on what you were expecting (and excited about), and focused on adding 2 additional seats and that's a meh?

What if they made a panel van version?

0301_06z+1952_chevrolet_panel_van+rear_interior_view.jpg

Could you stand up some (Zero) motorcycles in it?

• Funny
Reactions: ikjadoon
I wasn't planning on getting the Model X; I'm planning to get a Model S and keep my Roadster. That's enough cars! But I do have some thoughts:

The styling is about what I expected - a taller version of the S. It looks good (with the doors closed). Not as sexy as the S, but how could it be otherwise?

I have a generally positive impression of the Falcon doors. Not because of any supposed "wow factor", but rather because I think they would indeed be very practical in terms of loading/unloading people and things.

I don't think that the Falcon doors would be a particular problem in winter; if I don't clear off my regular car's doors off then I will get snow on my seat. If there was a very large amount of snow on the car and you opened both sides, then there might be an obstruction. Presumably the doors have some kind of protection against any sort of binding.

I thought the interior looked very attractive and very roomy. Unlike some people I quite like the dashboard.

They loaded an impressive amount of luggage in the trunk! (Never mind the stuck Frunk.)

I like the AWD technology.

If I was thinking of getting another crossover instead of a sedan I'd definitely go with it.