Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Reactions to the Model X

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
MotorTrend had this about range:
Read more: Tesla Model X Prototype Preview Ride - Motor Trend

Not sure if that is based on their own calculations or if they got it from someone.
Theory:
1. Tesla person said "10 to 12 percent less".
2. Motor Trend person said, "ok let's use 11%".
3. Motor Trend person did napkin calculation: 300mi * 0.89 = 267mi.
4. Motor Trend person mis-remembered the S ranges as 160/240/300 (instead of 160/230/300) because the progression is mathematically prettier.
5. Motor Trend person did napkin calculation: 240mi * 0.89 = 213.6mi. ~= 214mi.

I have a generally positive impression of the Falcon doors. Not because of any supposed "wow factor", but rather because I think they would indeed be very practical in terms of loading/unloading people and things.

They also allow more interaction/communication between the those sitting and those standing in front of the car. In my experience with family trips, that was always crucial in the 10 minutes before departure and after arrival, which in turn often set the tone for the drive or afterwards.

I thought the interior looked very attractive and very roomy. Unlike some people I quite like the dashboard.

I like the free-flaoting screen. Space-age in a nice way, contrasting with what to me seems a retro style dashboard. Though I think otherwise I prefer the Model S dashboard.

I like the AWD technology.

And now everyone wants AWD on the Model S. ;)

i was thinking the same thing when i saw the reveal but now i'm wondering if the X is gonna be a huge hit. it keeps growing on me, that's for sure. the biggest concern for me is gonna be the range. i would absolutely get it if the range was about 400 or the supercharging network was a little more set up or defined better as to locations. i have my reservation for the S and certainly can't convince my wife to get the X so i am gonna have to choose between the two. if i get the X i would want it to definitely be the family vehicle.

i was thinking the same thing when i saw the reveal but now i'm wondering if the X is gonna be a huge hit. it keeps growing on me, that's for sure. the biggest concern for me is gonna be the range. i would absolutely get it if the range was about 400 or the supercharging network was a little more set up or defined better as to locations. i have my reservation for the S and certainly can't convince my wife to get the X so i am gonna have to choose between the two. if i get the X i would want it to definitely be the family vehicle.

I think that by the time you would receive delivery of the Model X, the supercharger network will be pretty well-developed.

Crossposting some of this from the door poll thread. Though I'm not getting the X, I was at the event and have some thoughts on the X.

I'd have preferred if Tesla had stayed a little more mainstream with regard to the rear doors. With Tesla offering the means to electronically slide the second row forward (rather than collapsing the seats manually and rolling them forward like in a minivan), traditional doors would have been just fine for the typical, unfortunate third row occupants (teens, shorter adults, pets).

Getting kids into carseats in the second row does get easier with the falcon wings but, as someone said earlier on this thread, in my opinion, the falcon doors will unfortunately turn a loooooot of folks away (after we fanboys/fangirls have been completely tapped) from the X - it's hard enough to convince the average Jane Carbuyer to go 'crossover EV' but, with the wings... :frown:

The first sight of the S had me hooked - a super sporty, sexy, yet practical sedan that also happened to be an EV with unprecedented range! The X has ended up looking more gimmicky - Tesla and their boosters such as we all have to go the extra mile to convince folks that the benefits outweigh the perceived "concept car impracticality".

Also, many of the SUV and minivan owner friends of mine do not ever park them in their garages - they'd rather park them in the driveway and use the garage space for other purposes; mind you, this is while choosing to park sedans or smaller cars in the garage. This'd most likely not be an option with the X since it needs to be plugged in and most folks would want to have a charging station or 240V outlet inside the garage. The falcon wings - which, I admit, have been proven to fit (virtually, of course) in typical garages by Norbert, NigelM and others - have just made that equation far more complex. I, for one, cannot pull it off as the wings of the X (when parked next to the second car in the garage) would have taken a liking to the overhead shelves that I have all around in the garage (I had the shelves built with about 6' 3" clearance from the ground).

I'd have preferred if Tesla had stayed a little more mainstream with regard to the rear doors. With Tesla offering the means to electronically slide the second row forward (rather than collapsing the seats manually and rolling them forward like in a minivan), traditional doors would have been just fine for the typical, unfortunate third row occupants (teens, shorter adults, pets). ...

That night I rode in the 3rd row. It was a decent amount of space all around. When in I got that bigger inside than outside feeling.

When I went to get out I was making an awkward show of it with my big still camera in my hand. A Tesla employee hit a button on the side of the 2nd row seat and it crept forward. Very slowly. Pretty good for a prototype really.

That night I rode in the 3rd row. It was a decent amount of space all around. When in I got that bigger inside than outside feeling.

When I went to get out I was making an awkward show of it with my big still camera in my hand. A Tesla employee hit a button on the side of the 2nd row seat and it crept forward. Very slowly. Pretty good for a prototype really.

I've been using the 'bigger on the inside than it is on the outside' quote. People get it. Well okay, my friends do. :)

Last edited:
The front grill on both Model S and X look horrible. Like a large fish mouth ready to eat something. Not classy at all.

Model X does not have the sleek look like the Model S did. Nor does it have the sleek look that the infiniti x35 SUV has.

Disappointed. This is blah, bloated, and a blimp.

This design is blah. I am not impressed with the design. It looks like a lemon. Or a bloated blimp. You don't see any the sleek look like the Model S has, nor do you see any of the racy looks of the Roadster. That article below does have some things we need to think about.

Let it all out buddy.

There is a lot going on for a car that doesn't have a radiator:

nose.jpg

I'm feeling "on the fence" myself...somehow it seems very busy compared with a sleek interior. Dr Who syndrome?

Last edited: