TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Reactions to the Model X

Discussion in 'Model X' started by Fr23shjive, Feb 9, 2012.

Tags:
  1. brianman

brianman Burrito Founder

Theory:
    1. Tesla person said "10 to 12 percent less".
    2. Motor Trend person said, "ok let's use 11%".
    3. Motor Trend person did napkin calculation: 300mi * 0.89 = 267mi.
    4. Motor Trend person mis-remembered the S ranges as 160/240/300 (instead of 160/230/300) because the progression is mathematically prettier.
    5. Motor Trend person did napkin calculation: 240mi * 0.89 = 213.6mi. ~= 214mi.

2. Norbert

Norbert TSLA will win

They also allow more interaction/communication between the those sitting and those standing in front of the car. In my experience with family trips, that was always crucial in the 10 minutes before departure and after arrival, which in turn often set the tone for the drive or afterwards.

I like the free-flaoting screen. Space-age in a nice way, contrasting with what to me seems a retro style dashboard. Though I think otherwise I prefer the Model S dashboard.

And now everyone wants AWD on the Model S. ;)

3. Robert.Boston

Robert.Boston Model S VIN P01536

+1 : I think you nailed the origin of the faux precision.

4. WarpedOne

WarpedOne Supreme Premier

It *will* happen.

5. jcstp

jcstp Active Member

I guess it's one of those cars you have to see in person to fully understand them!

For now the MODEL S has more WOW-factor than the MODEL X in my opinion!

6. setritt

setritt p6652

i was thinking the same thing when i saw the reveal but now i'm wondering if the X is gonna be a huge hit. it keeps growing on me, that's for sure. the biggest concern for me is gonna be the range. i would absolutely get it if the range was about 400 or the supercharging network was a little more set up or defined better as to locations. i have my reservation for the S and certainly can't convince my wife to get the X so i am gonna have to choose between the two. if i get the X i would want it to definitely be the family vehicle.

7. Todd Burch

Todd Burch Voltage makes me tingle.

I think that by the time you would receive delivery of the Model X, the supercharger network will be pretty well-developed.

8. gg_got_a_tesla

gg_got_a_tesla Model S: VIN 65513, Model 3: VIN 1913

Crossposting some of this from the door poll thread. Though I'm not getting the X, I was at the event and have some thoughts on the X.

I'd have preferred if Tesla had stayed a little more mainstream with regard to the rear doors. With Tesla offering the means to electronically slide the second row forward (rather than collapsing the seats manually and rolling them forward like in a minivan), traditional doors would have been just fine for the typical, unfortunate third row occupants (teens, shorter adults, pets).

Getting kids into carseats in the second row does get easier with the falcon wings but, as someone said earlier on this thread, in my opinion, the falcon doors will unfortunately turn a loooooot of folks away (after we fanboys/fangirls have been completely tapped) from the X - it's hard enough to convince the average Jane Carbuyer to go 'crossover EV' but, with the wings... :frown:

The first sight of the S had me hooked - a super sporty, sexy, yet practical sedan that also happened to be an EV with unprecedented range! The X has ended up looking more gimmicky - Tesla and their boosters such as we all have to go the extra mile to convince folks that the benefits outweigh the perceived "concept car impracticality".

Also, many of the SUV and minivan owner friends of mine do not ever park them in their garages - they'd rather park them in the driveway and use the garage space for other purposes; mind you, this is while choosing to park sedans or smaller cars in the garage. This'd most likely not be an option with the X since it needs to be plugged in and most folks would want to have a charging station or 240V outlet inside the garage. The falcon wings - which, I admit, have been proven to fit (virtually, of course) in typical garages by Norbert, NigelM and others - have just made that equation far more complex. I, for one, cannot pull it off as the wings of the X (when parked next to the second car in the garage) would have taken a liking to the overhead shelves that I have all around in the garage (I had the shelves built with about 6' 3" clearance from the ground).

9. vfx

vfx Well-Known Member

That night I rode in the 3rd row. It was a decent amount of space all around. When in I got that bigger inside than outside feeling.

When I went to get out I was making an awkward show of it with my big still camera in my hand. A Tesla employee hit a button on the side of the 2nd row seat and it crept forward. Very slowly. Pretty good for a prototype really.

10. Doug_G

Doug_G Lead Moderator

Since the motor is above the axle, does that mean AWD will consume part of the Frunk in the Model S? (Maybe the extended back part, which the X doesn't have?)

11. goyogi

goyogi Member

Agreed. I like the more open feel. It would also reduce seal points.

12. bonnie

bonnie Oil is for sissies.

I've been using the 'bigger on the inside than it is on the outside' quote. People get it. Well okay, my friends do. :)

13. vfx

vfx Well-Known Member

Well I stole it from you and the good TV Dr. :)

14. TEG

TEG TMC Moderator

15. mailscotty

mailscotty Member

The front grill on both Model S and X look horrible. Like a large fish mouth ready to eat something. Not classy at all.

16. vfx

vfx Well-Known Member

Ironic because it is entirely vestigial. There is no actual grill. It's more understated that the Volt's faux grill.

17. gg_got_a_tesla

gg_got_a_tesla Model S: VIN 65513, Model 3: VIN 1913

#117 gg_got_a_tesla, Feb 12, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 12, 2012
  18. AnOutsider

AnOutsider S532 # XS27

Let it all out buddy.

19. bonnie

bonnie Oil is for sissies.

I noticed that. A total of four posts and all extremely negative.

20. NigelM

NigelM Recovering Member

#120 NigelM, Feb 12, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 12, 2012
    There is a lot going on for a car that doesn't have a radiator:

nose.jpg

I'm feeling "on the fence" myself...somehow it seems very busy compared with a sleek interior. Dr Who syndrome?