Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Reactions to the Model X

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The front grill on both Model S and X look horrible. Like a large fish mouth ready to eat something. Not classy at all.

I tend to agree. To me it's like they are trying to emulate the grill of an ICE which needs all of the air intake to cool the gas burning engine. The actual intakes are fairly small. I feel they need to accentuate the smallness of the actual intakes and set themselves apart with a new looking and innovative front perspective. JMHO......

Hope 4 negative posts don't upset anybody. I do agree Model S and X have much more positive aspects than the negative. However, Tesla can look at the comments from a constructive standpoint to improve on. Perhaps I will buy one of them anyway.

Hope 4 negative posts don't upset anybody. I do agree Model S and X have much more positive aspects than the negative. However, Tesla can look at the comments from a constructive standpoint to improve on. Perhaps I will buy one of them anyway.

It's not that you upset anyone (well not that I know of) - it's just that we get trolls here at times, and a sure way to identify is that they show up, make a lot of negative comments, and then go away. You have to wonder as to the motivation ...

So welcome. :) Have you ridden in a Model S or Roadster yet?

i was thinking the same thing when i saw the reveal but now i'm wondering if the X is gonna be a huge hit. it keeps growing on me, that's for sure. the biggest concern for me is gonna be the range. i would absolutely get it if the range was about 400 or the supercharging network was a little more set up or defined better as to locations. i have my reservation for the S and certainly can't convince my wife to get the X so i am gonna have to choose between the two. if i get the X i would want it to definitely be the family vehicle.

By the time it ships, range may go up over what they can quote now; by the time you are ready for your first battery replacement in 7-8 years, range will definitely go up!

It's not that you upset anyone (well not that I know of) - it's just that we get trolls here at times, and a sure way to identify is that they show up, make a lot of negative comments, and then go away. You have to wonder as to the motivation ...

So welcome. :) Have you ridden in a Model S or Roadster yet?

Thanks. No I have not ridden either one of them but watching Tesla for years. They are the real thing and head of the pack because of their innovation.

The front grill on both Model S and X look horrible. Like a large fish mouth ready to eat something. Not classy at all.
I'm kind of surprised at this kind of reaction this late in the game. Unless I remembered it wrong, most people liked the styling of the original Model S prototype (grille included) and Tesla has pretty much stuck to that design for both cars.

Here's the grille discussion:
http://www.teslamotorsclub.com/showthread.php/2487-Model-S-prototype-front-ends

The grille wasn't vestigial in the original prototype (but became so after the new vents on the alphas).

attachment.php?attachmentid=4242.jpg

When we say the S does not have a radiator we are say it's not the traditional big roundish shape with a grill in the center of the cars nose. People are used to seeing the mouth of the car.
Those days are history. EVs do not need as much air to cool (and radiators are more efficient) The S and X have paint or surface material changes like the Chevy Volt.
vf.jpg
2011-chevrolet-volt-grille-photo-275364-s-1280x782.jpg
Nissan-Leaf.jpg

The LEAF is pretty successful by replacing the grill with a charge part door.

It's tough to make the design jump and totally eliminate what people have been accustomed to for 100 years.

As you see in the X image there are two small vent holes at the lower part of the black center shape but most of the air flow is nowadays done with the radiator at the bottom 1/8th of the car's front. This is much better for aerodynamics. The mouth on the S image below is just black plastic.

model-s-official-6b.jpg

Last edited: