Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Reactions to the Model X

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
attachment.php?attachmentid=4242&d=1329095744.jpg
To me, it looks like the mesh portion is the bottom of a sliding door with the black part being the opening for some Knight Rider weapon.

Might just be a troll. Let us know (via PM) if action should be taken. Seems harmless so far.
Seems like there's been a pretty big influx of brand new folks here purely to complain about the X. I don't particularly mind the criticisms, but it seems a bit unhinged to me for someone that wasn't a Tesla person to begin with to go to the trouble to go find a forum and do the registration just so they can complain.

Could be worse ...

mitsuka.jpg

Mitsuoka Orochi

If the mere thought of snakes makes you shiver, you might find the Mitsuoka Orochi's serpentine stare uncomfortably familiar. Named for a giant mythical Japanese eight-headed snake, the Orochi sports a mouth-like grille, reptilian-looking quad headlights and a wide, triangular-shaped front end that make it appear ready to attack.

Roadster doesn't. In any case, I was referring to a radiator in the classic ICE where you need air flowing over a water filled container. The liquid cooling in the Model S (and I guess the X) runs through the AC and is not water cooled AFAIK.
Ok, so it's late and I've been drinking so please forgive me but I recall from some early Model S pics/discussion that they showed the front end with large "radiators" on each side and they were saying that one was for the cabin and the other was for the motor, PEM, battery cooling.

Why wouldn't they make use of the passive cooling from the motion of the car pushing air over the radiator to help cool the components?

Guys, this stuff is discussed in other threads. You may not want to call that thing under the hood of the Roadster (with the big fans on it) a radiator, but it certainly is a heat exchanger. And the Model S has at least three heat exchangers in the front. One of which is a radiator for the water cooling loop of the motor and inverter (kept around 60C).

Guys, this stuff is discussed in other threads. You may not want to call that thing under the hood of the Roadster (with the big fans on it) a radiator, but it certainly is a heat exchanger. And the Model S has at least three heat exchangers in the front. One of which is a radiator for the water cooling loop of the motor and inverter (kept around 60C).

Thanks, doug and TEG for coming to my defence. On the style front, the reason that the Model S (and probably X) have THREE radiators/heat exchanges in separate apertures is for aerodynamic efficiency. This is why the final Model S looks very different in the nose from the design prototype. I had this explained to me in detail, in person, by Jerome Guillen, Model S Program Director, when he was in Vancouver last year. The idea was to separate the drivetrain cooling from the people cooling functions. In cooler climates, with limited air conditioning use (like BC :smile: ), the Model S (and presumably the X) can close louvers over those heat exchangers to block air flow and reduce drag. Pretty darn clever, if you ask me!

For the sake of brevity my original post was trying to make the point that neither the Roadster, the S or the X require a front grill á la ICE's. I didn't intend to divert this thread to a technical one on the differences between heat exchangers, radiators or anything else. My point (albeit maybe missing the mark) was that the front end of the X could have been designed looking very different to a standard car....

I think they kept some sort of conventional-ish looking fronts of the S and X because we're used to seeing that on cars. If they pushed the envelope too hard, it might come across as weird. The 2020 S probably won't have anything other than the barest suggestion of a grille. Just enough to suggest the "Tesla design language" or whatever car designers call it.

I think they kept some sort of conventional-ish looking fronts of the S and X because we're used to seeing that on cars. If they pushed the envelope too hard, it might come across as weird. The 2020 S probably won't have anything other than the barest suggestion of a grille. Just enough to suggest the "Tesla design language" or whatever car designers call it.

Maybe that part is also made out of plastic to avoid damage in those little bumps that happen occasionally in stop'n'go traffic...

I agree. Look at the number of comments about the Falcon doors (people either seem to love them or think they're a gimmick). They're trying to come up with a common design language and if they stray too far from what a traditional car looks like, they might alienate too many potential buyers.

I think they kept some sort of conventional-ish looking fronts of the S and X because we're used to seeing that on cars. If they pushed the envelope too hard, it might come across as weird...

Yes, some were concerned that we might get this:
01-ied-tesla-eye-conceptopt.jpg

But instead got something more conventional looking (not counting the somewhat wild Falcon doors and camera mirror replacements.)