Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

READ: Blink Chargers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

lorih

May 12, 2013
In their K-8 filing Ecotality states concerns over technical issues (see quote below).

"Further, the Company is facing some uncertainty regarding the resolution of a phenomenon occurring in some of the Company’s previously installed EVSEs which causes overheating, and in certain rare cases melting, of the connector plug that connects the EVSE to the electric vehicle when charging."

Note: Author is not recommending or condemning Ecotality or their products. I just want to be sure everyone is aware of potential problem. Please consult Ecotality if you are concerned about your charging station. I have no other information, nor any recommendations.

Last edited:
I think this was said to be a case of "bad crimps" in some of the J1772 plug-ends installed in some of their charging stations.
I think they tried to replace many of them with "thought to be better" versions, but I don't know if the "new improved" really solves the problem, and/or if some of the "thought to be faulty" ones are still "in the field".

Some related old threads:

http://www.teslamotorsclub.com/showthread.php/12425-Blink-J1772-Connector-(REMA-Brand)-overheating

WTB-Roadster charge port for my Rav4

In their K-8 filing Ecotality states concerns over technical issues (see quote below).

"Further, the Company is facing some uncertainty regarding the resolution of a phenomenon occurring in some of the Company’s previously installed EVSEs which causes overheating, and in certain rare cases melting, of the connector plug that connects the EVSE to the electric vehicle when charging."

Note: Author is not recommending or condemning Ecotality or their products. I just want to be sure everyone is aware of potential problem. Please consult Ecotality if you are concerned about your charging station. I have no other information, nor any recommendations.

Appears they rolled out their "fix" for this... Impacted units are now limited to a max of 17 Amps...