Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Read trunk lid, rubbing against bumper:

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Anyone noticing the same scuffs?

3E8CB108-F623-44C5-9473-EEBEF96AAAD7.jpeg
5FCA7714-AA6A-494B-8F28-E9B79E0F1FB5.jpeg
962F485B-43BA-4309-AB1E-61C8D219C603.jpeg

I can’t speak for M3P Driver, but on mine there’s about a 1/8” gap on the left and right corners and in the very middle which are where all the contact points are. This sucks because it’s not something that i would have been able to notice upon delivery as it requires repeated opening and closing to damage the paint surface like this.

BTW, do you still have that gorgeous Acura? Loving your Tesla?

Yes - I still have it and thanks for the Acura compliment !! It is 1 of 84 Yellow/Onyx NSXs for the 1997 Model year. Total production run of 1997 NSXs was 338 cars. Had thoughts of selling it for a 2019 NSX or a mid-engine Corvette, but not in any hurry....

Love driving the Tesla P3D so far and it is definitely quicker from 0-60 mph than the Acura. ....by a lot !!! The car was just covered in Xpel Ultimate Plus, tinted and chrome deleted. I decided to get the whole car covered, because there is a lot of road construction around here and the paint just seems to attract scratches. Any thoughts of ppf for your Tesla ??

Yes - I still have it and thanks for the Acura compliment !! It is 1 of 84 Yellow/Onyx NSXs for the 1997 Model year. Total production run of 1997 NSXs was 338 cars. Had thoughts of selling it for a 2019 NSX or a mid-engine Corvette, but not in any hurry....

Love driving the Tesla P3D so far and it is definitely quicker from 0-60 mph than the Acura. ....by a lot !!! The car was just covered in Xpel Ultimate Plus, tinted and chrome deleted. I decided to get the whole car covered, because there is a lot of road construction around here and the paint just seems to attract scratches. Any thoughts of ppf for your Tesla ??

What a special NSX, I can imagine it would be incredibly difficult to part with that one. Have you noticed value has increased or remained steady, recently? I bet you especially notice how well it corners, compared to the Tesla, with the lower ride height?

I'd love to see pics of your Tesla, sounds like you've customized it well. I've not noticed as many scratches on my silver car, but I'm sure they'll be coming, I'm debating xpel, any regrets? What was cost?

Also, you may have already posted, did you take the $5k refund and give up free supercharging? Or, were you not in that category?

What a special NSX, I can imagine it would be incredibly difficult to part with that one. Have you noticed value has increased or remained steady, recently? I bet you especially notice how well it corners, compared to the Tesla, with the lower ride height?

Thanks - I love the NSX and the handling is more responsive on curvy roads. I would say the ride of the NSX is slightly harsher than the Model 3, but I'm sure it's all tire related. The issue with the NSX is parts availability and most parts are no longer available new from Honda/Acura. There have been reports of cars being totaled because of cracked or broken windshields or door glass. I have seen the prices increase since I've had the car.

I ordered my Model 3 Performance in November, so I wasn't part of the $5K refund. Still haven't gotten my spoiler and badge yet either....beginning to wonder if I will ever get it !!

I have no regrets getting Xpel Ultimate Plus installed. I've had the front end of my previous 9 cars wrapped in ppf, but the Tesla is the first one I've had the entire exterior covered. There seems to be constant road construction around Northern CA and I seem to have bad luck and attract all of the flying rocks and gravel....getting at least the front end and rocker panels covered should be considered..depending of course on your driving environment. Redline Reviews on You Tube just did an update showing rocker panel paint chips.

I parked under a tree, so the car is covered in pollen right now. I'll post some pics after a wash.

In the meanwhile I bought some Xpel film and covered the contact points of the edges of the trunk lid and on the bumper. I also covered the bumper sill as it was already showing some scratches from groceries, stroller etc, despite being very careful. Super easy to install and can get a 6” x 84” roll of it on amazon for pretty cheap.

I am having the exact same issue on my 2020 Model 3.
Trunk is hitting the rear bumper on one side, causing paint wear and chips.

It is pretty minor, as the trunk closes fine, looks good from the outside, and the minor paint chips can be touched up.

Tesla was going to send mobile service... so I thought, “Great!”
Then I received a text saying “It needs to be fixed at the service center.”

I’d rather fix it myself if possible.

Seems like a simple adjustment?
What was the solution for the OP?

Will turning the stop (marked in green in my photo) counter clockwise fix the problem?

1AA83866-E8F8-4142-8E72-3244711EA08D.jpeg
0D9FA08A-8FD8-4E54-8B1B-096567DBB226.jpeg

Mine does this and I gaave up on it, you can adjust the stoppers on the truck lid that rest of the taillights to hold it up higher but then the trunk didnt sit low enough.

if you climb in the trunk and close it you can see how badly the trunk lid contours to opening, i see daylight thru mine even tho everything looks fine on the outside