TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Reading SMS Text loud?

Discussion in 'Model S' started by miemrich, Jun 12, 2019.

1. miemrich

miemrich Member

When I had my Windows phone connected to my Tesla in 2012, incoming text messages were read to me and I even could answer by speaking a response.

Since I have a new Android phone this does NOT work anymore.

Does someone have a solution for this function? Is there an App which will read my text messages to me? And even transmit my answer?

Thanks for any help.

2. Qbenjamin

Qbenjamin Frugal But Classy!

Interesting, my 2014 MS didn't have the capability of reading texts aloud period. Neither did my M3, so I'm wondering if I was doing something wrong..?

3. Chaserr

Chaserr Member

That was a function of your phone playing audio through Bluetooth, Tesla has never had this native.

• Like x 1
  4. miemrich

miemrich Member

Yes, I'm aware that it was Windows Phone which had this capability and not Tesla. But I'm wondering if there is an Android App which can do the same for me?

5. buzescu

buzescu Member

Google assistant

• Like x 1
  6. jlv1

jlv1 Twice as much fun

I had my phone to my wife and she reads the text aloud.

• Funny x 3
  7. P100D_Me

P100D_Me Member

The two other cars in our garage can read texts out loud, I can respond by voice, all done via the cars infotainment system and not the phone smart assistant (Android phone). You would think Tesla could do this but no, not even a notification on screen you got a text, I find it pretty embarrassing they can't do this when even a modern $15K Korean car can.

• Like x 3
  8. MarkJ

MarkJ Member

I've been using "SMS, my Car and Me" on my android phone successfully for the last 5 years. Can also read out FB messenger, WhatsApp, as well as texts. Probably others too but I only use these. Replying to texts with template replies is possible.

• Informative x 1
    • Like x 1