TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Reading speed limit sign confusion

Discussion in 'Model X: User Interface' started by Chickenlittle, Jul 22, 2016.

1. Chickenlittle

Chickenlittle Active Member

havent seen before but noticed that there is a school zone speed limit sign that indicates when yellow light on school in session and speed 25. Of course my car believes speed limit is 25 regardless of whether light is on or not. Started to think of other areas car could be confused such as a sign posting minimum speed limit, truck speed limit or time specific speed limits. I am not sure how they will be able to sort this out unless gov standardizes conditional speed limit signa

2. kort677

kort677 Active Member

the system reads the speed limit, not the times it is in force, if the sign is there that is what the car thinks is the speed limit.

3. JenniferQ

JenniferQ Member

I was very impressed on my last 1000 mile drive that it does not ever register the "Trailering Speed Limit" signs on the freeway. So happy about that. Otherwise, just push that go pedal and carry on. It will get there eventually.

4. FarmerDave

FarmerDave Member

The car also does not recognize "END" signs such as END 35. It's irritating on rural roads which are 55 unless in a town where it is posted less. I have to turn off Autopilot in order to do the speed limit!

5. kort677

kort677 Active Member

you could just apply foot pressure to the accelerator peddle to make the car move faster without disabling the AP

• Like x 1
  6. SW2Fiddler

SW2Fiddler Bannd Member

HOV lanes have their own speed limit changes that can get "read" from a normal freeway lane. My S is a 2014 "classic" but I had an AP Loaner that did this. 45 mph in a 65 zone, LOL

7. Chickenlittle

Chickenlittle Active Member

The problem is more than I appreciated. Still love the speed limit sign reading it does but above comments indicate only one more reason to stay alert

8. FarmerDave

FarmerDave Member

That's true, but no cruise control for the next 15-20 miles?