Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Reading Speed Limit Signs – Autopilot Crippled

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
FIXED!

I've been testing this after ever software update, with no improvement — until now. Today's update got my car reading 70 MPH and 75 MPH perfectly.

I got the impression that a lot of people who live in the big city never even ran into this issue. I live in a small town at the intersection of two rural, non-divided highways with 70 and 75 MPH limits, which meant that this was a significant nuisance every single time I left town, and again every time I left most of the towns that I passed through on my travels. For the last few months it has been the primary annoyance with my car. And now, all is sweet again. Thanks, Tesla!

FIXED!

I've been testing this after ever software update, with no improvement — until now. Today's update got my car reading 70 MPH and 75 MPH perfectly.

I got the impression that a lot of people who live in the big city never even ran into this issue. I live in a small town at the intersection of two rural, non-divided highways with 70 and 75 MPH limits, which meant that this was a significant nuisance every single time I left town, and again every time I left most of the towns that I passed through on my travels. For the last few months it has been the primary annoyance with my car. And now, all is sweet again. Thanks, Tesla!
Nice! But it sure would be better if you tell us what version you updated to, and what version you came from. "Today's update" means pretty much nothing.

Reactions: M3BlueGeorgia
Well, that's the latest (see TeslaFi.com Firmware Tracker). Don't know what you updated from, so it could have improved any time in the past.

I've been taking everything (non-beta) that they send me, especially since I've been wanting this issue addressed.

Also note… Autopilot can now both decrease and increase speed automatically as it passes through different speed zones. I'm not sure when this began. All I know is that when I got my car back in March it would only decrease to the new, slower limit+5. After passing through the speed zone, when the limit increased again, I had to bump the "max" back up manually every time. I grumbled some, but I soon got in the habit of doing that, and it wasn't really until today that I tried letting it do its own thing again.

When entering a slower speed zone, it automatically drops to limit+5, as it has always done. When entering a faster zone, it automatically increases to limit+5. However, I think the highest speed it will increase to is whatever it had set before it automatically reduced. So, if I had max set to 60 and then enter a 50 zone, it will automatically reduce to 55. But when I leave that area and enter a 70 zone, it will automatically increase back to 60 where it was before, not to 75.

BTW, I had to rewrite that paragraph several times to try and make it both accurate and understandable. I hope I succeeded!

Last edited:
I've been taking everything (non-beta) that they send me, especially since I've been wanting this issue addressed.

Also note… Autopilot can now both decrease and increase speed automatically as it passes through different speed zones. I'm not sure when this began. All I know is that when I got my car back in March it would only decrease to the new, slower limit+5. After passing through the speed zone, when the limit increased again, I had to bump the "max" back up manually every time. I grumbled some, but I soon got in the habit of doing that, and it wasn't really until today that I tried letting it do its own thing again.

When entering a slower speed zone, it automatically drops to limit+5, as it has always done. When entering a faster zone, it automatically increases to limit+5. However, I think the highest speed it will increase to is whatever it had set before it automatically reduced. So, if I had max set to 60 and then enter a 50 zone, it will automatically reduce to 55. But when I leave that area and enter a 70 zone, it will automatically increase back to 60 where it was before, not to 75.

BTW, I had to rewrite that paragraph several times to try and make it both accurate and understandable. I hope I succeeded!
And yet, there's no telling what they may have sent you unless you tell us. The date might give a clue, but not necessarily. For future reference, if you want to be informative on things like this, please include the firmware version you are coming from, the version you have updated to, and everything relevant about the vehicle (which would mean things like model, build date, upgrades, autopilot hardware version, what country you're in, etc.). Any and all of those might make a difference in the behavior of your firmware.

Or not. Just depends on how useful you want the information to me. Anything is better than nothing. A lot is better than a little.

The manual describes how it adjusts the speed and what settings you can make. Near as I can tell it now works as advertised. Of course everything will be different with V11 next month.

We've got one in my town where they lowered the speed limit from 55 to 45. They put the sign about 50 feet ahead of the GPS map marker. So my MY with HW3 reads the sign as 45mph, then 50 feet further changes to 55mph. It's not an issue but it could be very aggravating if it was the other way around.

The manual describes how it adjusts the speed and what settings you can make. Near as I can tell it now works as advertised. Of course everything will be different with V11 next month.

The settings seem pretty useless to me, as far as I've been able to tell. None of them have any effect on the speed that Autopilot selects when it reads a sign and changes up or down. It always goes to either limit+5 or the last speed that you selected during that AP session, whichever is lower.

I would actually rather have it go to limit+0, but there doesn't seem to be any way to set that.

FIXED!

Updated to 2020.48.10 from 2020.44.25 yesterday (12/12/20). Today the car for the first time read speed limit signs >60 mph! Until now, they would not even show up on the screen, but every sign of 60 and below displayed perfectly. Today 65 mph and 70 mph signs were displayed and the speed using autopilot responded to the change. Fantastic update. Really helps me out as I travel on non divided roads with a 65 mph limit. Prior to this update, the car was limited to the last speed limit sign it saw prior to the 65 mph limit.

After the last update to my model 3 I took a trip from Madison, WI to Chicago, IL. I was curious why my car would drop from 70 mph down to 55 or 60. It turned out that the car was reading speed limit maximums signs...for trucks. Sure enough, set at 70 and every time I would pass a truck speed limit sign, the car would slow down. This was happening so often I finally turned autopilot off and drove manually. Is there any way to turn this off? if this is discussed somewhere else, I apologize, but also please direct me to the postings. (2018 model 3 dual-motor running 2022.45.15

Reactions: ai4px