Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Reading Speed Limit Signs

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am not sure how this is suppose to work, or what is happening here. I have a Model S 90D, with HW2 and running the 8.0 software. My car passes many speed limit signs and never records them, however seemingly randomly a speed limit sign will pop up on the display, sometimes correct and sometimes not. I believe it is pulling the displayed speed limit signs out of a database on Tesla servers, based on previous Teslas seeing the signs. Here is why I think this:

On a recent trip from Daytona to West Palm Beach on I95, I went through a section of road under construction that was clearly posted as 60mph. The Tesla display continued to show 70mph. The construction was 13 miles long, plenty of 60mph signs along the way, apparently never read any of them. But ... shortly after I cleared the construction area, and the speed limit went back up to 70mph, the Tesla displayed a 60mph sign and alerted me I was now going too fast. That section of road was clearly marked as 70mph, however were likely 60mph a few weeks back when that section was under construction. It appears the display is pulling old data off the server as a default since the camera is not reading it (?)

So my question: is my Tesla not reading signs because there is a problem with the camera somewhere, or is this software not doing it at the moment? The demo I had on a model S, supposedly with the same hardware and software, did read signs during the demo.

Thanks for help.

It works probably 98% of the time in my area.

Occasionally it'll read the speed limit wrong. It'll do 25mph instead of 40mph (the shoulder speed limit is 25, main road is 40). And a few other cases of mistaken digits.

I'm up in the air right now on how the AP2 car is getting it's speed limit data. Is it via camera or is it GPS based? For the most part for me it is accurately interpreting most of the signs correctly. However, there are a couple of residential streets where is shows nothing even though there are speed signs posted all along the route. I have traveled these streets many times to see if it is a learning issue but so far nothing. It is also struggling to read signs in areas where construction work is being done. If is was using the cameras to read signs I would expect something more accurate than what I am seeing. If it is GPS based, I can understand it not getting right construction-based temp signs or speed limit signs in areas such as residential where the information may not necessarily be easily obtained.

I Have a 90 D with AP1 and it will occasionally limit my speed by recording the speed limit for trucks which is 65 while car speed limit is 80. I have to disengage My auto steering because it limits me to 65. It used to do this more often, so it's getting better and is a minor inconvenience so far.

AP1 uses Mobileye software running on its own custom processor. It was carefully tuned over time. Since Tesla dumped Mobileye, they are now implementing same functionality, and better, but they have to start over, so be patient as you can. The big advantage is that the AP2 software runs on the new Nvidia Tegra processor, which is many times faster than the older Mobileye processor.

There are road signs in our area that are ambiguous, located between two roads (mainlines, HOV lanes, exit ramps, adjacent roads), and it can sometimes be very difficult to determine which sign apply to which roads.

Human drivers tend to completely ignore the signs when it appears the signs don't apply to the road they are on.

But, if the EAP/FSD software tries to read every speed limit sign and improperly detects a speed limit sign, that could be more than just inconvenient, it might be dangerous to quickly slow down or speed up when the other drivers decide to ignore the sign.

Will be interesting to see how this works out with the new AP 2.0 software as more EAP features are enabled, and Tesla approaches enabling FSD.

I have AP1 and it definitely uses the camera, but I noticed it was getting confused with a particular type of sign that showed the speed limit as 25 mph and 40 km/hr. It would usually decide the limit was 40mph, but not always. I submitted a bug report with pictures and they said they would send it to the team.

So, report those weird signs that trick the camera/logic so they can test them

Reactions: BerTX