Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ready for a CPO

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Good afternoon,

So I've been browsing these forums heavily and watching reviews and videos for a while now about the Model S, more specifically the S60.

My wife and I talked and decided that we would like to take the plunge and go all electric. She owns a stage 2 tuned wrx and I own a wrx as well. I've had a few lexus and toyota vehicles so this is gonna be something new for us.

Budget wise CPO seemed like the right move, and also the warranty is a great thing to have from what ive been reading.

We dont plan to buy for the next couple of months but I have been prepping and doing my reasearch.

-Already looked at my finance options (72mo)
-got an insurance quote for full coverage
-already called my local dealer so i could visit and test drive
- my dad is an electrician so im not worried about placing outlets. Already spoke to him about it and hes got it covered.

Im looking at models between 2013 and 2014. Are there any drawbacks to a 2012 model?

Auto pilot is not a deal breaker. I like driving my cars and if the model s60 does good by me then we plan to purchase a second tesla with autopilot in the future.

We dont road trip often but we might. So the 85 is an option if i get a good deal..

I guess thats it. If you guys have any advice or if i left anything out please chime in.

I do realize its a few months from now but I do like to have these sorts of things planned out in advanced.

Thanks!

Don't delay, that just makes it longer till you drive the best car ever made.
We bought an early 2013 via CPO 6 months ago. We picked the 85 to make 300 km in the winter round trip on a single charge.

Notes :
1. The 60 wasn't produced until spring 2013, so there aren't any 2012's.
2. Early 2013 S85 's like ours run strong and are excellent value on CPO site.
3. Look up Hanks excellent "ev cpo" app, it's what we used to find the best deal.

Get cracking! :)

As much as you may love driving.... you'll love relaxing while Autopilot does the boring stuff more. I would watch for a good deal on a CPO car with Autopilot. There are some white unicorns out there that can be really good deals - 60's and P85's with autopilot. They are out there!

This is the exact same boat we were in a month ago. We ordered a CPO S60 at the end of December (2014, 19k miles, VIN 37xxx) that had exactly the options we cared about and nothing more (leather seats, Supercharging, Tech Package) for $50.5k. We hardly road trip so the 60's range is perfectly sufficient for our regular driving needs (taking kids to school, etc). No AP but I figured that whoever traded it in was upgrading to AP so AP indirectly helped us get a good deal on the CPO model. Like you, we figure that eventually we'll get my wife a Tesla too that has AP, so the lack of AP on my car didn't bother me that much. I love driving it.

We took delivery at the end of January and absolutely love the car. From asking around on TMC, my understanding is that the important VIN thresholds for build quality are around 10k and 50k (AP) or so. So when browsing the CPO site I feel like there's probably not a huge difference in most 2013 vs 2014 models in terms of build quality.

I'm assuming that while you were researching financing options you found Alliant. They have excellent rates, and we got our loan through them. Hope that helps!

Thank you all for the replies!

I did register and check out Hank's site. I am located in NY for what its worth. I'd prefer not to have to ship the car since there seems to be some good models right here and I'm not too far. But if the right car came along with the right price then the shipping may be worth it.

I'm sure if I test drive it I would take the plunge and buy sooner, who knows.

This is the exact same boat we were in a month ago. We ordered a CPO S60 at the end of December (2014, 19k miles, VIN 37xxx) that had exactly the options we cared about and nothing more (leather seats, Supercharging, Tech Package) for $50.5k. We hardly road trip so the 60's range is perfectly sufficient for our regular driving needs (taking kids to school, etc). No AP but I figured that whoever traded it in was upgrading to AP so AP indirectly helped us get a good deal on the CPO model. Like you, we figure that eventually we'll get my wife a Tesla too that has AP, so the lack of AP on my car didn't bother me that much. I love driving it.

We took delivery at the end of January and absolutely love the car. From asking around on TMC, my understanding is that the important VIN thresholds for build quality are around 10k and 50k (AP) or so. So when browsing the CPO site I feel like there's probably not a huge difference in most 2013 vs 2014 models in terms of build quality.

I'm assuming that while you were researching financing options you found Alliant. They have excellent rates, and we got our loan through them. Hope that helps!

That's good to know I will check out alliant, I have seen quite a few members talking about them.

As much as you may love driving.... you'll love relaxing while Autopilot does the boring stuff more. I would watch for a good deal on a CPO car with Autopilot. There are some white unicorns out there that can be really good deals - 60's and P85's with autopilot. They are out there!

Wouldn't mind getting it with the car but even if I don't the second one I get will have it for sure. Hoping that when I'm ready there will be one with AP floating around.

Tesla does not have dealers. They have sales stores. :wink:

Haha I'll try to remember that!

Might want to expedite those plans! :biggrin: Check this out. 85 kWh Model S P09994 | Tesla Motors

High miles, but with CPO warranty that won't matter.

Nice find, thanks for sharing!

http://ev-cpo.com

When you register on Hank's site (it's free) you are able to use the search bar to look for specific options and narrow the list of cars to consider.

Done and done, Thanks! Looks like the added models since I last visited.

Don't delay, that just makes it longer till you drive the best car ever made.
We bought an early 2013 via CPO 6 months ago. We picked the 85 to make 300 km in the winter round trip on a single charge.

Notes :
1. The 60 wasn't produced until spring 2013, so there aren't any 2012's.
2. Early 2013 S85 's like ours run strong and are excellent value on CPO site.
3. Look up Hanks excellent "ev cpo" app, it's what we used to find the best deal.

Get cracking! :)

Thanks for that info! Good to know!

Hey curryx if you live or work in Long Island check out Sperry federal credit union. I just financed with them and got a great rate. PM me and I can send you a referral code and a bank contact. Good luck.

Thanks for the tip. I'm located in queens, not sure if that matters. I'll check it out anyway. Thanks!

Who knows??? We all do! If you take a test drive, all planning goes out the window. Trust us. :)

Haha! I can only imagine. I guess if that happens it wont be too bad of thing. Well it will be sometime this week, lets see what happens.

So after doing some more research I think I've narrowed some things down as far as what I'm truly looking for in this CPO.

I mapped a couple of routes I would be taking as well as trips that we sometimes take to go fishing.

Again for me every little bit of savings is a good thing especially since I've seen a bunch of accessories I will need and they are not cheap from the Tesla store by any means.

(center console, shades for the rear and roof, HPWC, roof rack, all weather mats)

- Pano roof is a must since I need the roof rack for my kayak.
- S60 is perfectly fine with the distances I'll be driving.
- Tech Package - From what I have seen all the CPO's have them.
- No Air suspension. I plan to keep the car for a while and I'm sure at some point I will have to shell out money for a repair once they go bad.
- I prefer a 2014 but I will go with a late 2013 model, only because I know they added things like park sensors and folding mirrors.
- Autopilot is not at the top of my list.

That's pretty much it. I've seen some in the low 50's and one right around 50k in Tan leather which im not wild about but I will keep looking and weighing my options until I'm ready to order.

I went CPO back in October
Tesla is awesome.
But make sure you get the options that work for you
I needed air suspension because of some parking situations requiring a higher setting
and GPS remembering to raise and lower is awesome. And that its under warranty is also cool
I went with the 85 battery option. Normal miles are fine but sometimes I have a lead foot and the additional miles
is great. Also plan on big trips so thats another reason for me going 85.
Good Luck and post pictures when you gets one.
P.S. after getting my car I had Tesla do some work on it. So I got a 2014 Loaner
It was a P85 with 21' rims and silver with no pano like mine
I had it for two weeks
I did not like the mirrors always going in and out
the 21" package was too rough
scraped a couple times without air suspension
parking was cool with the beeps and color warnings
it had ultra high fidelity which mine did not and I could not tell the difference
I was glad to get my 2013 back. Once you go red you never go back

Last edited:
Again for me every little bit of savings is a good thing especially since I've seen a bunch of accessories I will need and they are not cheap from the Tesla store by any means.

(center console, shades for the rear and roof, HPWC, roof rack, all weather mats)

In New York I really doubt you'll need the shades. We drove to California during a heat wave (113 in the Sacramento Valley) and didn't notice any excess heat through the pano. You might also try the car without the center console, many of us like the car without it.

Well I finally went for a test drive today with my wife. WOW. That's all I have to say.

No I didn't end up buying but I will be putting down my deposit MUCH earlier than I anticipated.

We drove the P90 model with Ludicrous mode ON. Literally stuck to my seat. Auto pilot was def. amazing and while I will not be getting it on my first tesla, we both decided it will be a must have on the second one we get.

After seeing the car I want the center console insert for sure I was not a fan of that huge space. Love the quiet and the way the coil/spring setup drove. Just have to get used to the way the car slows down after you let off the accelerator.

That's what I want. But right now, those deals don't exist. I saw an S85 with Autopilot on EV-CPO for ~$70k in late December, but right now the cheapest Autopilot car is actually an inventory 90D, which has been the case most of the times I've checked the last two weeks.

If I could just find a nice 85 or 70D for $65-70 with AP and Pano and cold weather... (The 70D configuration I would order new is $90k, $80k after rebates, so anything over $70k doesn't feel like much savings for going CPO.)

After seeing the car I want the center console insert for sure I was not a fan of that huge space. .

I felt the exact same way, it's very awkward at first.

But then I got two small leather boxes (see: http://www.wayfair.com/Piel-Leather-Small-Jewelry-Box-2351-VW1045.html) which just fit in the space (they were much cheaper back then)...

Now I love the open space, and the two boxes give me just enough space to stash little stuff that accumulates (change, mints, wires,keys, glasses, etc).

I find the open space really drives home the point to passengers that this car is different. Very different.

edit photo:

attachment.php?attachmentid=47258&stc=1&d=1397597211.jpg