Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ready for a Second MS - need help specs

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Good Evening!

I've been a happy AP1 - MS85 owner going on 4 years now (it's my wife's daily). Got the MCU2 retrofit and car is just like new!

Have a CT on preorder and was going to wait but a new member of the family is coming this April and need a 4 seater to replace my daily (2 seat convertible).

I was going to get a "beater" used M3, but with used prices of M3 LR and AP 2/2.5 MS within 3-5k of each other both with FSD, a MS makes so much more sense to me.

That being said, I´m in the market for a used MS directly from Tesla.

Questions for the group experts:

1. The biggest difference between AP 2 vs. 2.5 is the ability to record sentry via usb. Is this correct? And this is resolved by a 2500 mcu2 retrofit?

2. AP2.0 with FSD should get the 3.0 hardware based on my research. Does this include the newer front radar? If not, is the older front radar of the 2.0 going to be a problem with FSD?

Any other differences? I am looking at 75s and 75Ds. I don't live in snow (LA) and have been fine with my MS85 for years. I don't mind RWD (or maybe I just don't know what I am missing?;))

Also, if I missed some previous threads from my search, I apologize in advance and please feel free to link to them.

Thank you!

1. The biggest difference between AP 2 vs. 2.5 is the ability to record sentry via usb. Is this correct? And this is resolved by a 2500 mcu2 retrofit?

The two main differences are a.) the inability to record sentry events with AP2/MCU1 and b.) the AP2.0 cameras use a different color filter on them which limits/reduces the colors seen/recorded to a degree. Note that I wouldn't exactly call the AP2.5 cameras color accurate but they are better than the 2.0 cameras which appear almost sepia toned. No difference in terms of actual functionality between the cameras based on what people have said but my thinking is that Tesla changed them for a reason.

2. AP2.0 with FSD should get the 3.0 hardware based on my research. Does this include the newer front radar? If not, is the older front radar of the 2.0 going to be a problem with FSD?

Correct about the upgrade to 3.0 FSD computer. Does not include the new cameras or the front radar. Neither should make a difference. The more cynical people would probably say that anything resembling actual FSD that would need a better radar wouldn't happen in the next few years.

Any other differences? I am looking at 75s and 75Ds. I don't live in snow (LA) and have been fine with my MS85 for years. I don't mind RWD (or maybe I just don't know what I am missing?;))

After driving both an 85 and an 85D, I much prefer the dual motors. This is of course only subjective personal opinion as I live in an area where rain/snow/ice are common in the winter (usually).

Thank you! This is really helpful.

I am down to my final 3 options (all within 2-3k of each other)

1. 75 AP2.5
2. 75D AP2
3. 90D AP2

Range is king, but last time I was researching, it seems a lot of people were having problems with the original 90 pack of the 16 MS'

Need some of the group's experience decoding some terminology from TeslaCPO.i

On the below, what are the terms

1. CH05
2. FMP6
3. LT5C
4. TIG4
5. APH3 (I am assuming this has had the AP HW3 retrofit?)
6. FR04
7. S32C

Really appreciate any input! If I missed the terminology section in the website, please let me know.

Thank you!

upload_2021-1-14_23-37-41.png