Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ready for Zombie Apocalypse!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Transitioning to Electric Vehicles has made me more aware that we are dependent upon the electric companies for reliable power. I decided to search for a used generator and install it on my home for backup power. I am now ready for Elon's Zombie Apocalypse! I thought everyone here would enjoy seeing some photos.

Found the generator I was looking for 30 KW Engineers Special in Los Angeles. It was previously used by Nextel as backup power for a remote cell site. This Generator is set up to produce either single phase or three phase with the flip of a switch. It was previously set up to monitor all parameters of the generator remotely from a cellular data link. It has a 120 gal tank which would run for some time if necessary. It burns about 1 gal per hour with a moderate load. It is powered by a 62 HP John Deer turbo diesel. I paid $7500 and it has 5000 hours on it.

View attachment 84761

The seller told me that it weighed 6000 lbs, and when I got there it was 8200 lbs with 900 lbs of fuel on board! It was a little much for my 1/2 ton pickup. I melted my catalytic converter, started a small fire, but Cal Fire was going the opposite direction, saw it happen and put it out immediately. You may see a little smoke in the background.

View attachment 84762

Well finally got it home, and in position with help from my friends at Johnboys Towing.

View attachment 84763

I fabricated a connection point with Cam Loks to keep the generator portable.

View attachment 84764

I dug about 300 feet of trench with Direct burial wire and control wires. I used 2/0 aluminum good for up to 190 amps as service entry.

View attachment 84765

This terminated at my meter panel where there are 2 X 200 amp services.

View attachment 84766

On the opposite side of the meter panel I installed 2 X 200 amp automatic transfer switches.

View attachment 84767

These automatically start the generator in the event of grid loss, and once weekly for 20 minutes to exercise the generator.

View attachment 84768
View attachment 84771

This was a fun project and everything went together seamlessly. When going on an exercise cycle, I dont even notice the transition in the home. Monitoring the voltage, the generator runs at only several volts less than the utility power.

This generator has no problems charging the Tesla even at the full 80 amps from the HPWC.

View attachment 84774
This is so bad ass.... wish I had the funds to do this. I have 10kw gas genset... Wish it was diesel but I only paid $750 for it and it had less than 20hrs on it :-o I am backfeeding my panel with a 50A circuit (poor man's transfer switch) that's about all I can afford right now. Solar will come later and then we'll do it up all the way (hopefully)

This is so bad ass.... wish I had the funds to do this. I have 10kw gas genset... Wish it was diesel but I only paid $750 for it and it had less than 20hrs on it :-o I am backfeeding my panel with a 50A circuit (poor man's transfer switch) that's about all I can afford right now. Solar will come later and then we'll do it up all the way (hopefully)

Are you using a proper interlock that secures your main "off" when you backfeed?

(*please* say "yes")

Are you using a proper interlock that secures your main "off" when you backfeed?

(*please* say "yes")

My electrician said I can put an interlock on there yes... :) He explained the danger of not having this on and doing things wrong... He said at a minimum I should document the proper sequence, and if I don't go with the interlock I should have the generator cable under lock and key with explicit instructions on how to back-feed and un-backfeed the panel laminated in a clear plastic baggie zip tied to the cable... :scared:

I'm tempted to not do the interlock... talk me into it if you think it's a "must have"

- - - Updated - - -

Okay I did a little more research and these are a lot cheaper than I thought so I emailed my electrician and asked him how much more...

My electrician said I can put an interlock on there yes... :) He explained the danger of not having this on and doing things wrong... He said at a minimum I should document the proper sequence, and if I don't go with the interlock I should have the generator cable under lock and key with explicit instructions on how to back-feed and un-backfeed the panel laminated in a clear plastic baggie zip tied to the cable... :scared:

I'm tempted to not do the interlock... talk me into it if you think it's a "must have"

It is absolutely, positively a must-have, no exceptions, period. Any electrician who told you that you didn't need an interlock or transfer switch is not an electrician.

You may not be the only one operating the switchover. Or, in a hurry, you may think you opened the main and instead bypass that step. Even when properly documented, it's too easy to skip a step, and you won't know it because things will be working. You could be charged with manslaughter as a result.

Several friends of mine are linemen, and while they do as much as they can to protect themselves by treating lines as if they're always hot, accidents still happen. Ronnie Adams, Jr. was killed in July, 2005, when a homeowner in Alabama failed to open the main circuit breaker and backfed the grid with his generator. The utility he was working for was cited for some safety violations, but the point is that he shouldn't have died anyway.

"Suicide cords" that have two male connectors and use another outlet to backfeed are called that term for a reason... A friend of mine had to be pried off a "suicide cord" with a 2x4 because he made the mistake of energizing the cord before it was plugged in to the other end - and he's a smart guy, just reversed two steps.

And finally, should you forget, it's likely your generator windings will burn up due to the power company grounding the phases while they work on them.

Interlocks are inexpensive, there really is no reason not to use them.

It is absolutely, positively a must-have, no exceptions, period. Any electrician who told you that you didn't need an interlock or transfer switch is not an electrician.

You may not be the only one operating the switchover. Or, in a hurry, you may think you opened the main and instead bypass that step. Even when properly documented, it's too easy to skip a step, and you won't know it because things will be working. You could be charged with manslaughter as a result.

Several friends of mine are linemen, and while they do as much as they can to protect themselves by treating lines as if they're always hot, accidents still happen. Ronnie Adams, Jr. was killed in July, 2005, when a homeowner in Alabama failed to open the main circuit breaker and backfed the grid with his generator. The utility he was working for was cited for some safety violations, but the point is that he shouldn't have died anyway.

"Suicide cords" that have two male connectors and use another outlet to backfeed are called that term for a reason... A friend of mine had to be pried off a "suicide cord" with a 2x4 because he made the mistake of energizing the cord before it was plugged in to the other end - and he's a smart guy, just reversed two steps.

And finally, should you forget, it's likely your generator windings will burn up due to the power company grounding the phases while they work on them.

Interlocks are inexpensive, there really is no reason not to use them.

Sold.... email sent. I'm putting one on. Thanks for talking me into this. My electrician is a friend and a really easy going guy, so he was trying to give me options... but at the end of the day he should've explained it more forcefully...

Last edited: