Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ready to Confirm; One Last Question. Please Advise.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm ready to confirm my order. Right now, I have the P85, 19" wheels (standard wheels), and a bunch of options. (I don't want the 21" wheels). The question i have is whether i should get the air suspension or stick with the standard suspension. I will be driving the car to and from work (i work in downtown DC; lots of potholes) and then having fun on the weekend. My concern/issue is if i get the added performance of the P85, am i silly not to get the added performance of the air suspension. Or is the standard suspension perfectly suited for the extra power of the P85?

Your thoughts?

I'm ready to confirm my order. Right now, I have the P85, 19" wheels (standard wheels), and a bunch of options. (I don't want the 21" wheels). The question i have is whether i should get the air suspension or stick with the standard suspension. I will be driving the car to and from work (i work in downtown DC; lots of potholes) and then having fun on the weekend. My concern/issue is if i get the added performance of the P85, am i silly not to get the added performance of the air suspension. Or is the standard suspension perfectly suited for the extra power of the P85?

Your thoughts?

Get the air suspension you won't regret it. You're already spending that much already might as well throw it it lol. And that's how I got from 60 to a P85. Lol

I use the air suspension all of the time to avoid bottoming out on certain driveways and gutters. It automatically will revert to normal suspension height above 20 mph, so probably won't make a difference driving over potholes in the city unless you keep the speed down consistently.

Did you get a chance to test drive with and without the air? I just ordered the P85 with 19" wheels and vacillated about the air suspension as well. That was until I actually drove them with and without back to back. I'm sure there is a personal preference to it, but I got the air. Even speed bumps seemed to be better with it IMHO.

I have the coil suspension but I had a loaner with the air for about 600 miles. To me, the air was more plush and soft. The standard coils I prefer because I am in better feel of the road, yet still very comfortable. Where the air suspension sort of wallows like a soft pillow, the coils are tight and in better control.

The reason I had originally bought standard coils is because as a pro mechanic, I see plenty of very expensive air suspension failures. Air suspension is very complicated Rube Goldberg in order to perform a very simple task.

My car is an S85. If I was getting a P85, I would want to coils all the more!

About choosing 19's, I agree with you.

My biggest regret is not having gotten the dual chargers (significantly more to retrofit) ... my biggest fear is having gotten the air suspension. The ride might be harsher on the springs but the cost of repairs, and the slight "disconnectedness" in handling, make me wonder if I made the right choice. Of course, it's still a blast to drive and I really don't worry about it until a thread like this comes along.

I was in the same spot a couple of weeks ago when I placed my order. The day before I drove one with air-suspension for the first time (was my 3rd test drive). While it may have been in my head, but it did seem much smoother and controlled over Chicago's sh*tty streets. It's not like it turns the Tesla into a Crown Vic...

Thanks to all of you. You guys are great. I went with the Air. Confirmed my order today. Woo hoo. Just finished a bottle of champagne with my wife and we are celebrating.

Congrats! And yay, another Maryland Model S owner! :-D

- - - Updated - - -

Congrats!!!

Just confirmed mine as well. Will be interested to see who gets the VINs and ultimately delivery quicker.

Congrats! :)

Thanks to all of you. You guys are great. I went with the Air. Confirmed my order today. Woo hoo. Just finished a bottle of champagne with my wife and we are celebrating.

Congrats!!!

Just confirmed mine as well. Will be interested to see who gets the VINs and ultimately delivery quicker.

Awesome--congrats guys! The wait begins...it will be worth it!

Congrats! My order went in yesterday as well. Very different in placing an order for the Tesla compared to the conventional car sales.

Congrats on the car. I think the active air and 19" will serve your needs best.

Yes this is very unconventional. Instead of having one salesperson who has their next paycheck hinging on your selection of options, you have 10+ sales people that live with the car giving you good advice for free!