Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ready to go hard on a P90D

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
They will NOT give you smoother ride. Also, the air transmits more sound into the cabin than coils. I've made numerous back to back comparisons with an SPL meter with both identically equipped on multiple cars where the only difference is the air.

The coils provide a better ride and are quieter. If I were looking for a used MS today knowing what I know now, I'd pay extra to find an example without air.

Same goes for the pano roof. More noise and more hassles. I'd pay extra to find a used MS without the pano roof as well. Wish I'd left both of those off :(

I was not aware that the air suspension is noisier than the coils. When you say the coils provide a better ride are you referring to sharper handling or more comfort? If I remember correctly, you have significant knowledge and experience with this car. Given that, I better see if I can test both models before tomorrow night.

I knew the glass roof would be noisier and that certainly is a negative. I also's spent some time with a sound pressure meter and the car could use more insulation in that regard.

The 21s aren't as bad as everyone says, BUT there's not one single advantage to them unless you're going to be tracking the car...

i dono... looking damn sexy is a pretty clear advantage to me.
24666609313_087744303e_b.jpg

As to Air: Biggest asset when pulling up to a high curb at a parking spot. Or pulling off a concrete bumper with rebar sticking out (Good way to rip the underside of your car off). It's easy peasy to jack it up a couple notches. And better than that is they jack up with geofencing, so they automatically rise EVERY time you come to that street corner with the huge dips, or pull into Target with the 8" curbs. As to noise, hey, we are riding on high pressure tires. And sometimes rough roads. I don't care for a tenth of a decibel here or there.

The pano blocks 98% of the IR. I live right up there by the pano and have never noticed it being hot on my bald spot or anywhere else. It is not noisy, or at least mine is not. And I have more headroom, which I like, being 6'4". I rarely open it, but not being able to glance up at the beautiful cloud patterns or the trees as I drive along the road is something I would miss. Same for the moon at night.

But, it's your values. Mine may be different.

I have the same configuration on a P85D without Ludicrous. It's an awesome car. I have the pre-April 2014 suspension so I went with Air. I'd test drive it now to make sure that you're happy with the body roll at high speeds.

The car is a lot of money but it also performs like a supercar and no matter what, it'll be missing some luxury features no matter how you configure it. It's still worth it in my opinion and I've never once regretted my purchase.

This morning I went driving up the 1 from SF to Bodega Bay with a bunch of friends. One had a Porsche GT RS3 and the other was an Audi R8. They struggled to keep up. It was insanely fun.

Reactions: NOLA_Mike
I was not aware that the air suspension is noisier than the coils. When you say the coils provide a better ride are you referring to sharper handling or more comfort? If I remember correctly, you have significant knowledge and experience with this car. Given that, I better see if I can test both models before tomorrow night.

I knew the glass roof would be noisier and that certainly is a negative. I also's spent some time with a sound pressure meter and the car could use more insulation in that regard.

The spring rate on the air is linear. i.e. as the air spring compresses, the spring tension builds in a perfectly linear fashion. The coil spring rate is progressive and and allows a degree of travel with less spring rate until it compresses to a certain amount at which point the rate builds faster. This means a coil can can be softer in the normal range of small bumps but firmer when it has to compress more for going around corners and such.

This is why on the plus suspension, the sway bars are thicker for the air and thinner for the coil. In my opinion, the coils provide better handling too.

...but really what you should do is test both. And if you're ever going to be heavily loading up your MS with 800+ lbs of concrete, the air does come in handy as it will auto level the car for you.

I have the same configuration on a P85D without Ludicrous. It's an awesome car. I have the pre-April 2014 suspension so I went with Air. I'd test drive it now to make sure that you're happy with the body roll at high speeds.

The car is a lot of money but it also performs like a supercar and no matter what, it'll be missing some luxury features no matter how you configure it. It's still worth it in my opinion and I've never once regretted my purchase.

This morning I went driving up the 1 from SF to Bodega Bay with a bunch of friends. One had a Porsche GT RS3 and the other was an Audi R8. They struggled to keep up. It was insanely fun.

Thank you for your feedback.

As to your drive this morning, I have been in the same situation with my Corvette. Unless you are on a track it is very difficult to keep up with the Tesla on public roads. There is just too much lag (and noise) with the ICE cars

The spring rate on the air is linear. i.e. as the air spring compresses, the spring tension builds in a perfectly linear fashion. The coil spring rate is progressive and and allows a degree of travel with less spring rate until it compresses to a certain amount at which point the rate builds faster. This means a coil can can be softer in the normal range of small bumps but firmer when it has to compress more for going around corners and such.

This is why on the plus suspension, the sway bars are thicker for the air and thinner for the coil. In my opinion, the coils provide better handling too.

...but really what you should do is test both. And if you're ever going to be heavily loading up your MS with 800+ lbs of concrete, the air does come in handy as it will auto level the car for you.

I don't know about the 800 pounds of concrete, but have you seen my wife? Just kidding, I already called the showroom for a test drive of a coil model tomorrow.

Thank you for your feedback.

As to your drive this morning, I have been in the same situation with my Corvette. Unless you are on a track it is very difficult to keep up with the Tesla on public roads. There is just too much lag (and noise) with the ICE cars

Good point. The noise on the other cars was insane. It was hard to be discrete about anything.

Test drive and loaner cars are limited to 80mph (even the P90DL) so I found them a little hard to fully evaluate. At 75-80mph, with some hard lane changes on the highway, I was able to feel the body roll on a new model P90DL with air suspension. I don't feel it on my Pre-April 2014 P85D. I didn't get to drive a coiled P90DL.

I have 24 hours before my deposit goes hard on the following refreshed P90D. I am excited but it seems like a lot of money for a car that is missing some typical luxury features. Should I go through with this configuration and if I do, are there any changes you think I should consider to the following order?

Midnight Silver Metallic
Grey Next Generation Seats
Pano
Air Suspension
Dark Ashwood
Black Alcantara Headliner
Ludicrous Speed Upgrade
Tesla Red Brake Calipers
Autopilot
Smart Air Suspension
Premium Interior Package,
Ultra High Fidelity Sound

Aftermarket considerations, remove front license plate bracket, hardwire radar detector, additional tinting on roof or aftermarket roof shade.

Anything changes, additions or deletions I should consider before the $2500 deposit is at risk?
If you want performance, P90D Ludicrous is the way to go. It is the fastest 4 door sedan in the world in terms of 0-60 mph, as well as 1/4 mile. If you are looking for absolute performance, then go for it. If you are look at a good balance between "value" and performance, then go for a regular 90D.