Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ready to order 60D, hold off until 4/15?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The recent announcement that Tesla is discontinuing the 60 kWh pack in the MS is finally pushing me over the edge to purchase. I simply don't need or want to pay more for the 75. However, it was just around this time last year that Tesla announced some nice updates, including the refreshed front fascia and LED headlights.

Thoughts on waiting an additional 3 weeks to see what might be in store for the MS? I suppose "worst case" I could order 4/15, select the latest available delivery timeframe, and wait out the 1 week cancelation period to hedge against any upcoming changes. Thanks in advance.

The recent announcement that Tesla is discontinuing the 60 kWh pack in the MS is finally pushing me over the edge to purchase. I simply don't need or want to pay more for the 75. However, it was just around this time last year that Tesla announced some nice updates, including the refreshed front fascia and LED headlights.

Thoughts on waiting an additional 3 weeks to see what might be in store for the MS? I suppose "worst case" I could order 4/15, select the latest available delivery timeframe, and wait out the 1 week cancelation period to hedge against any upcoming changes. Thanks in advance.

Those updates Tesla announced last year as part of the refresh came after the Model S was currently sporting the same style since 2012. And with AP 2.0 hardware brand new i highly doubt there are going to be any major changes between now and then. Unless you want to wait 2-3 extra weeks for your car i'd order now ;) but that's just me.

Reactions: OBX John
Yes wait for the last minute to finalize, there's no downside to that. Additionally, you could make the Tesla sales team part of your decision process. Possibly they share some more information by then. But wait until after April 1st, when their end-of-quarter sales fever is over.

Agree on waiting till April 15th and waiting the week before auto-confirming. If you did so on Jan 15th, it made it so you could cancel your unlimited supercharging order and get 100D at no penalty (deposit refunded).

Who knows how they will try to incentivize Q3. My guess is something like cancelling 90kw and 75kw trims and offering an 80kw option where the 80kw is offered at the same "discounted" rate as 100D was to 90D. Thus making the entry level trim more appealing than the 75kw pack currently is. Could be more interesting than new battery packs though. Lots of stuff to improve and differentiate from the 3: MCU/instrument display, charging speeds, more luxury interior, an interior that takes eventual self driving into consideration.

At worst nothing happens and you keep your 60kw. :D

Agree on waiting till April 15th and waiting the week before auto-confirming. If you did so on Jan 15th, it made it so you could cancel your unlimited supercharging order and get 100D at no penalty (deposit refunded).

At the same time, the longer you wait, the less time you own a Tesla. Every quarter will offer something new or better than the previous. My earlier comment was just suggesting keeping your near options open by ordering on the last day of the offer so you improve your chances of seeing what's coming next.

Finally, don't stress, aside from AP1 and AP2, nothing that big has come that has made waiting for a Tesla vs owning one right now worth it in my opinion. Plus, this should put your mind at ease for a bit: Twitter

Order today. Cancel day 6 after re order is placed. Rinse repeat till last possible day before 60 gets the axe. Then push delivery back as far as possible (till you need a car).

Puts you in the drivers seat.. as much as tesla will allow. Hedges against price increases, etc.

Reactions: davidc18
I think it depends what you what or are looking for. What change could Tesla give in the next quarter that would make you wish you had waited? I'm sure something will change in the next couple quarters, but if you're going to be happy with the car, then you should get it because that's always going to happen.

For me, my personal side: I ordered an S85 in 2013. AP1 came out in fall of 2014. I missed it by a big margin. I didn't regret anything though, I just knew that I really loved the idea of Autopilot. So I decided to wait for a major hardware revision. Well... AP2 came out and I'm picking up my AP2 car in a week (trading in my S85).

My viewpoint is: Autopilot is just about the most major thing I care about. Given they just did a major revision, I think I'm pretty safe on that front. The price point is good so price changes don't matter to me, auto-presenting doors don't matter to me (rumor), even something as drastic as a HUD doesn't matter to me. Each of those things could happen and I'd shrug and be happy with my car. If they dropped some insane new Autopilot hardware refresh I'd be pretty upset at myself, but I don't think that's likely.

So... what is going to make you happy?

I'm glad we ordered when we did as we wanted the perfed seats in the PUP package and before long they pulled them. Glad we didn't wait. They sometimes do things overnight like the perf being pulled, the interiors having less of a selection choice among the various parts; pretty sure both of those weren't pre-announced. Don't remember hearing when exactly they were pulling the 60 but if it meets your needs including your budget why wait for something else to come along. They could change up car colors and interiors and maybe you wouldn't care for the choices or the streamlined ordering selections that seem the way they are going now. What if they ended the ModelS60 sooner than expected and you felt pushed into the M3 which is a smaller car because you didn't want to spend the $s for a 75? Would you be okay with that? I know the cars are an expensive purchase for most and you want to make the best decision but don't over think it if you like what you see. Did you go for a test drive yet?

Just picked up our MS and absolutely love the size and pretty much everything about it. Being that you are on the east coast if you order now I think you could even have your car by late April-mid May possibly--east coast getting delivery before west coast. They seem to be flying off the assembly line right now and running 3 shifts. Good luck with whatever way you go.