Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ready to order car

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have been on the edge of buying one of these for a couple weeks now. My lease for my current car is up in February but would be willing to put the car in my garage now.

Still need to decide S or X.

Longest drives are Walnut Creek to Sacramento and Walnut Creek to Modesto. The 75kw battery will be plenty? Anything past sacramento or modesto I'll just fly. Maybe on an icy day I would drive to Fresno but thats a once or twice a year event. Would the bigger battery even help for that?

My driveway is fairly steep. front of Chevy volt scrapes everytime. Does that suggest I need to get the air suspension? or does the S fixed suspension have higher clearance, has anybody here had both?

If I ordered the car now and something new came out between now and delivery date, would I get that feature? Is it a tossup? Is anything expected to be released between now and February?

Still trying to decide to 1. order car, have it delivered in February 2. order car, have it delivered now 3. order car December or January and have it delivered in February. Any advice?

Any other suggestions?

I have been on the edge of buying one of these for a couple weeks now. My lease for my current car is up in February but would be willing to put the car in my garage now.

Longest drives are Walnut Creek to Sacramento and Walnut Creek to Modesto. The 75kw battery will be plenty? Anything past sacramento or modesto I'll just fly. Maybe on an icy day I would drive to Fresno but thats a once or twice a year event. Would the bigger battery even help for that?

My driveway is fairly steep. front of Chevy volt scrapes everytime. Does that suggest I need to get the air suspension? or does the S fixed suspension have higher clearance, has anybody here had both?

If I ordered the car now and something new came out between now and delivery date, would I get that feature? Is it a tossup? Is anything expected to be released between now and February?

Still trying to decide to 1. order car, have it delivered in February 2. order car, have it delivered now 3. order car December or January and have it delivered in February. Any advice?

Any other suggestions?
75 kWh is plenty
Yes, you'd need air suspension.
If you ordered now, the delivery date might be December/January. Nothing new is going to come out in that time frame. Early next year or maybe even later this year we'll see another event about the Model 3, but nothing regarding the S/X. That is unless they are hiding a special feature for the next Model 3 event.

If you order the car and have it delivered this year then you can take the tax credit on your taxes after the new year. If you wait until January February then you have to wait until next year to see that money.

This is all, of course, assuming you don't want the Model 3.

Any other suggestions?

S or X comes down to passenger capacity. S looks better, is cheaper. And do you need AWD?

With a 75KWH there is no where you really can't go because of the supercharger network.

My Volt scrapes on my driveway too, so I have to backup at an angle when I enter the street. I don't know if my ordered Model X will do the same. I think the Volt air curtains are just really low to the ground.

Nothing new should appear if you order now for Feb delivery. You order in Feb, something new might get announced at the time you take your car. :)

This is all, of course, assuming you don't want the Model 3.

Model 3 won't fit his time frame at all. 2018 deliveries for new reservations if I recall. :)

S or X comes down to passenger capacity. S looks better, is cheaper. And do you need AWD?

With a 75KWH there is no where you really can't go because of the supercharger network.

My Volt scrapes on my driveway too, so I have to backup at an angle when I enter the street. I don't know if my ordered Model X will do the same. I think the Volt air curtains are just really low to the ground.

Nothing new should appear if you order now for Feb delivery. You order in Feb, something new might get announced at the time you take your car. :)

Model 3 won't fit his time frame at all. 2018 deliveries for new reservations if I recall. :)

I have a deposit down for the model 3 but I'm just not going to wait that long. I'm ready now. :). when that comes out I'll defer my purchase unless it has something really cool or the P version is sub 4 seconds, full autopilot and sub 100k!

I wouldn't bet on that. I'm expecting a new MCU and a rejiggering of the battery sizes yet this year as they switch over to the P100D style construction for the entire line. Although those are relatively minor things.... and what the heck... you can wait forever.,

• Informative
Reactions: MXWing
Do you have a family? Do you regularly drive people around? It sounds like you don't plan to ever road trip, but note that while I put 4k miles a year on my Acura, once I got my Model S, I averaged well over 15k miles a year. You may drive it more than you think you will.

I have a deposit down for the model 3 but I'm just not going to wait that long. I'm ready now. :). when that comes out I'll defer my purchase unless it has something really cool or the P version is sub 4 seconds, full autopilot and sub 100k!

I bought a pretty basic Model X. My hope is 3+ years from now there is a some version of a Tesla that does sub 4 seconds for sub 100k.
It doesn't need any AP functions though at all.

Because if it is a sub 4 second car, I will be driving it myself. :D :D :D :D :D

Do you have a family? Do you regularly drive people around? It sounds like you don't plan to ever road trip, but note that while I put 4k miles a year on my Acura, once I got my Model S, I averaged well over 15k miles a year. You may drive it more than you think you will.

No family. Single. I have a Cessna 182RG though. I'm banking the Tesla will replace the 182 on 200 mile roundtrips and closer. knocking out my common Sacramento and Modesto flights, saving me money. Autonomous freeway driving is a very attractive reason to drive. As well as doing away with finding transportation once I get there...

Reactions: Pluto
No family. Single. I have a Cessna 182RG though. I'm banking the Tesla will replace the 182 on 200 mile roundtrips and closer. knocking out my common Sacramento and Modesto flights, saving me money. Autonomous freeway driving is a very attractive reason to drive. As well as doing away with finding transportation once I get there...
I'd get an S in your situation, especially if you're set on a 75kWh pack. You'll get more range compared to the X, just in case you need it. Plus, the S is cheaper, more reliable, and more utilitarian than the X.

A reason you might want an X is if you have mobility issues. The S is low and tight for some people.

This is coming from someone who owns one of each.

I'd get an S in your situation, especially if you're set on a 75kWh pack. You'll get more range compared to the X, just in case you need it. Plus, the S is cheaper, more reliable, and more utilitarian than the X.

A reason you might want an X is if you have mobility issues. The S is low and tight for some people.

This is coming from someone who owns one of each.

S is more fun to drive: it is lower.
X has a most awesome windshield (now every other car feels claustrophobic) , and is easier to get into.
Which do you want?

If you don't love (or really hate) Falcon wing doors, that's a wash.
If you don't need the extra packing space, that's a wash.

So I would pick from that, and, I agree with Ohmman, that's probably a S for you as a single.

Reactions: Drucifer
Longest drives are Walnut Creek to Sacramento and Walnut Creek to Modesto. The 75kw battery will be plenty?

I live near Sacto and do the reverse of this on a couple of times a week to the East Bay, SF or SJ. The question to ask is what are you doing when you get to Sacto or Modesto and what are your destination charging options. There are a couple of things to consider:
  • During the winter you will see a drop in range as the temp drops and heading back to WC, you may have to contend with headwinds, which will steal range
  • How much driving around will you need to do once you get to your destination?
  • What are your charging options at your destination--there are 4 SCs near Sacto, but the are all east of the city
  • If you don't have great charing options at your destination, you need to make sure you have enough range to get to your destination and then get back to a Supercharger on the return trip most likely Vacaville for Sacto and Mantenca for Modesto
So, all that being said, a 75 is probably fine with the understanding that you might need to use Vacaville and Manteca as your backup SCs. BTW, there is a strong rumor another SC is coming to the I5 corridor to plug the gap between Harris Ranch/Manteca and Corning which should also be helpful for you.

Reactions: Pluto and golfpilot
Since you don't have a family and less necessity for the excess space provided by the Model X, I would personally go with the Model S and save some money. However, the Model S is lower and may struggle with your driveway situation, so suspension modification would be a great consideration. Post pics of which car you decide on!

After reading a bunch of forums and some help from here. Sounds like every option is a good option worth getting. Going to go with the 75D model s

I am going to skip on the upgraded audio because my ability of recognizing good audio from bad is about a -5/10.. I am also skipping the winter kit. It doesn't get real cold here and the car will be garaged 98% of it's time with me.

trying to pick Silver out with Black interior or black out with tan interior. Then I am ordering

Reactions: ohmman