Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ready to pull the trigger - 2019 SR vs 2020 LR+?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Can anyone help me understand what the difference is between the LR+ and the LR model? Seems like the hardware is identical. Is it just software that squeezes the extra 17 miles of range from the batteries? Any other differences? Thanks! Rick

Can anyone help me understand what the difference is between the LR+ and the LR model? Seems like the hardware is identical. Is it just software that squeezes the extra 17 miles of range from the batteries? Any other differences? Thanks! Rick
Nobody really knows yet as few if any LR+ cars have been delivered, but there’s speculation that a good chunk of the additional range is due to the new aero-friendly Tempest wheels, and Musk has said prior Raven cars will get “software updates” to enable some of the additional range.

Nobody really knows yet as few if any LR+ cars have been delivered, but there’s speculation that a good chunk of the additional range is due to the new aero-friendly Tempest wheels, and Musk has said prior Raven cars will get “software updates” to enable some of the additional range.

Yes, and the batteries get very 'springy' at high states of charge such that it isn't as easy to predict behavior as it is in the mid charge band.

And it could even be that some benefit is evident only under very specific conditions.

Until there are some cars giving real data, it will be hard to tell. Imo it is a fine marginal improvement and no just switching to larger wheels could easily negate the increase.

I'm starting to be convinced that the extra $7k cost to go with the 2020 LR model may be smart. While I don't plan on doing many road trips, the extra range will always be a plus for this car, and it does get extremely cold here in Nebraska, which will reduce the range dramatically.

I actually thought the blue color (that's the color of the 2020 LR model available) would be my preferred color until I saw the Midnight Silver Metallic color. My wife went with the Midnight Silver Metallic for her new Model 3, so I'm starting to see the advantage of having two different colors for our Teslae also... I'm starting to see the advantage of the white interior also (very modern and uniquely Tesla).

You’ll love blue. I miss my ‘old’ P100D LoL.
817B5735-12E2-48CC-A756-DC02231F95BB.jpeg

Attachments

• 98A602CB-9EAE-48D4-B18F-E002084084E1.jpeg
    98A602CB-9EAE-48D4-B18F-E002084084E1.jpeg
    694.3 KB · Views: 24
You might save a few $$$ if you can find a demonstrator. You'd have to hunt around and be prepared for a lot of patient calling each Tesla sales office (if that's even possible). Just tell your self that you are going to enjoy the journey whatever in throws at you!

Not sure what the Tesla site shows you, but look under new inventory for cars with a few thousand miles on, then when you have located the car, call directly to try and get a deal. Doesn't always work and it helps if you can find a sales agent that's prepared to work with you.

I went Midnight Silver but was really tempted by a nice Blue just pre Raven 100D. I'm really not feeling any remorse at having slightly older Raven, but having highest capacity battery is a real benefit however far you drive.

I'm starting to be convinced that the extra $7k cost to go with the 2020 LR model may be smart. While I don't plan on doing many road trips, the extra range will always be a plus for this car, and it does get extremely cold here in Nebraska, which will reduce the range dramatically.

I actually thought the blue color (that's the color of the 2020 LR model available) would be my preferred color until I saw the Midnight Silver Metallic color. My wife went with the Midnight Silver Metallic for her new Model 3, so I'm starting to see the advantage of having two different colors for our Teslae also... I'm starting to see the advantage of the white interior also (very modern and uniquely Tesla).

It sounds like you are trying to convince yourself. Extra range will not always be a plus in your car as you said yourself you don’t need it on average day and don’t take a lot of road trips. Cold weather wont have an impact on battery if you charge every day at home and your not commuting 200 miles a day, it shouldn’t matter.

What will always be a plus is the $7,500 in your bank account. Go with the SR and save yourself money.

I would **not** pay the $7500 in your case. You seem, like me, not use the car for long road trips frequently. Your car will be used rarely and around town. It will be plugged in most of the time and if you want to extend the range in winter simply pre-heat the car for an hour before you take a long trip. You will be fine even without pre-heating!

Here is a tip: Use A Better Routeplanner and see how far away your closest superchargers are. With that site, you can plug in Nebraska Winter temperature and headwind, starting battery %, etc and then see how far you can go. It's very accurate.

I'm not saying that an LR doesn't make sense for some people but the standard range is enough range for most.

The advantage with the LR is on long (500miles+), multi supercharge trips. And even then not to skip superchargers but to charge faster at each stop. With a standard range, you will have to charge the battery to a higher state-of-charge to make it to the next charger. The higher the percentage the slower the charge so it really adds time compared to an LR. You can use A Better Routeplanner to see the difference. It's rare to find a trip where the SR needs to make an extra stop compared to the LR - but the total trip time does go up, a lot, on long trips.

For a single supercharge stop (say a trip of 3-400 miles) the difference in charge time is not that bad (the SR takes perhaps 20-40 minutes longer to charge up). If you need to charge more times in a single day then an LR makes sense. I never make car trips of 500+ miles in a single day so for me, the extra $7500 wasn't worth it.

I'd take the 2020, sounds like a better deal to me. LR+ also has more horses and torque, resulting in faster acceleration. it'll also resale better because of the new model year - while MYs are not really relevant to Teslas it is still somehow a selling point in the used car market.

I'd take the 2020, sounds like a better deal to me. LR+ also has more horses and torque, resulting in faster acceleration. it'll also resale better because of the new model year - while MYs are not really relevant to Teslas it is still somehow a selling point in the used car market.

Good point about the model year having an impact on the resale. I think that's a carryover from "traditional" car manufacturers that is likely to continue to factor into buyers' minds for the immediate future. If you go to buy an ICE car that is leftover from the previous year, there's almost always a substantial discount due to the extra year of depreciation on the car.

So perhaps with the newer model year, coupled with the extra 88 miles of range (a 30% increase over the SR model), the Blue 2020 LR car is the best overall car for me. And the Blue exterior/White interior, silver wheel color combo is starting to grow on me!

Thanks to all who have provided their opinions on this subject! Keep them coming, as I am making my final decision today.

Okay, I've officially placed the order for the 2020 LR Model S! Thanks to everyone for their great advice/thoughts!

I'm going to end up paying $78,490 for the car (which includes the destination charge). I feel that this is a solid deal, especially when I plugged in a custom order for an identical 2020 LR+ model and came up with a total price of $84,190. My discount will be $5800, and I actually prefer the silver wheels on my LR model to the new Tempest wheels that are included.

I will be picking up my new Model S tomorrow at lunch! Can't wait! Now I need to read all the posts talking about what to look for when I pick up the car! Should be a fun ride back to Omaha (200 miles)!

Okay, I've officially placed the order for the 2020 LR Model S! Thanks to everyone for their great advice/thoughts!

I'm going to end up paying $78,490 for the car (which includes the destination charge). I feel that this is a solid deal, especially when I plugged in a custom order for an identical 2020 LR+ model and came up with a total price of $84,190. My discount will be $5800, and I actually prefer the silver wheels on my LR model to the new Tempest wheels that are included.

I will be picking up my new Model S tomorrow at lunch! Can't wait! Now I need to read all the posts talking about what to look for when I pick up the car! Should be a fun ride back to Omaha (200 miles)!

Congratulations! You're lucky, I'll (probably) have to wait another agonizing two months until I get my MS :(... Europe sure does have long wait times. Enjoy the awesome car.