TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC
Start a Discussionhttps://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/tags/

Ready to pull the trigger on MS60

Discussion in 'Model S' started by mrtian97, Mar 17, 2017.

Tags:
  1. mrtian97

mrtian97 Member

Guys and gals,
    Due to Tesla discontinuing the MS60, I maybe thinking to pull the trigger. Looking to minimize option, only one I will order is Tan leather Seat.

Couple questions:
    1. Is it true that MS interior is poor quality like some ppl said in the forum? for $70K car, I would expect otherwise

2. Is the interior really rattles?

Thanks for your help. I am planning to keep the car for 8 yrs

2. Tam

Tam Active Member

I ordered textile seats and they have continued to be great for over 4 years, over 87,000 miles with all the abuse of dogs, kids, spills, adults, various cargo, garden wood chips, fertilizers and rocks...

Why don't you stop by a Tesla store and see them for yourself?

Not in my case.

3. doubleohwhat

doubleohwhat Supporting Member

I switched to a Model S from a BMW 550i. I have to admit that the 550i interior was a nicer. The Model S interior is not poor by any definition though. I'd compare it to a lower end BMW.

I expect we'll see a more refined Model S interior in the future.

I have no clue what the general consensus on this one is but yeah, I have some rattles in my 09/2016 S60. I plan to have them addressed when I take the car in for the annual service. All of the (three) rattles I have are in the dash in various locations.

The catch is that the Model S is an amazing car to drive. So overall the above are minor issues.

4. AEdennis

AEdennis Active Member

As @Tam mentions... go to a store... you're in Southern California.

The Model S interior hasn't improved through the years. We've had our car since 2013 and over 71k miles later... and the interior is great.

If you're anywhere near Orange County, the OC Tesla Club is having our bi-monthly meeting on Sunday morning and you can talk to dozens of owners about their cars there.

I agree with @doubleohwhat... as an ex-BMW guy, I've said that the 2013 Model S was a 7 outside and 3 series inside... now, the newer ones are closer to a 5 series inside.

5. mrtian97

mrtian97 Member

Thanks, I will check out the OC Tesla club this sunday. My current car is 2014 bmw 328, the car drives great but the interior not so much. I been to the Brea store and test drove model S.
    Any suggestion which store has best service in So Cal?

6. Cricket88

Cricket88 Member

My 12/16 MS75 (upgraded 60) has a rocking next gen drivers seat that is being replaced next week by the service center (developed 2 weeks after delivery), a passenger seat that has cracking leather (noticed at delivery), a drivers door that just recently started creaking when opening. A faint rattle started to develop on my dash top (if you tap on it you can replicate). Center console also rattles now when the lids are shut. Not complaining, just pointing these out. I know I'm not the only one with similar issues so it's definitely not an isolated thing

I would compare the fit and finish quality to that of a nicely loaded Accord EX-L. Most of the money you're spending is going into the tech and propulsion system, so obvious budget cuts have to be made somewhere...

• Like x 1
  7. ucmndd

ucmndd Member

I've put 10k miles on my Dec '16 MS 60, have one obnoxious rattle in the back seat around the seatbelt anchor that I've temporarily fixed with a little bit of foam. Other than that, rock solid so far.

I think the interior is great. I prefer the clean, minimalist look over the "benchmark" German brands. If you're the type of person that spends their time looking at the seat stitching through their bifocals or feel that the lack of an illuminated vanity mirror is a 19th century affront to your privileged existence, then you're probably going to find reasons to be disappointed.

If you're a bit more chill, you'll love it. Best car I've ever owned.

• Like x 2
  8. doubleohwhat

Is it near the center?

9. Cricket88

Cricket88 Member

Mine is on the hood over the gauge cluster...

10. Cricket88

Cricket88 Member

As a new owner, (and in retrospect) my advise is to not use the price tag as a benchmark for the fit and finish. Set realistic expectations and you will be happy with your purchase.

Also don't read too much into some of these gripes because you will find a lot of people that were clearly expecting Porsche quality and the first thing they scream is: "expected this and expected that" for a "fill the blank $$"

• Like x 4
  11. doubleohwhat

Ah, I have that one as well. if you tap on the hood it rattles. I also have a rattle in the dead center of the top of dash. My last rattle is somewhere on the passenger side (haven't narrowed it down yet).

12. Cricket88

Cricket88 Member

I'm not even going to try tapping those areas lol I might wake up a dormant loose harness.

• Funny x 1
  13. AEdennis

AEdennis Active Member

#13 AEdennis, Mar 17, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 17, 2017
    I did all my purchasing direct with Tesla and picked up at Fremont. As for Service, they're all great. Just find what is most convenient for you.

This is a broken pice on the dash...

Mine was repaired two years ago. Bring it in for service and they can take care if it... I would suggest making a reservation if you want a loaner.

14. ucmndd

ucmndd Member

Well said.

• Like x 1
  15. Troy

Troy Active Member

Last edited: Mar 18, 2017
    Have you thought about buying a CPO Model S and switching to a Model 3 in December this year? Buying any Tesla now will move you to the top of the Model 3 reservation list. Listen here from 48:13 to 49:08. Because you are in CA, you should have your Model 3 by the end of this year. Instead of an S60 with 210 mi range and 5.5s 0-60, you could have a Model 3 with 300 miles range and better performance. The cabin space is expected to be the same as well. In addition, the Model 3 will supercharge 18% faster than the Model S because it will be 18% more efficient, just like the Model S supercharges faster than the Model X.

16. mbhforum

mbhforum Member

Coming from a 2010 BMW 3 series, I think the MS interior is comparable. Now of course that car is half the price, but as others have mentioned, your paying for other things such as the technology.

I ran this poll last month and there are bigger complaints besides interior:

What is the one thing you can change????

17. Hotlobstah

Hotlobstah Member

I purchased my S60 the morning it became available and love it. I think the interior is great and every person I've had in my car is totally blown away. In 8 months and 12000 miles I've never had it into service nor have had any problems with rattles or whatever. Take comments on this forum with a grain of salt. Many OCD software engineers I think ;).

• Like x 1
  18. BerTX

BerTX Active Member

Mine (built 9/2016) definitely has rattles in the dash on certain road surfaces. Some are in he areas where the dash layers are sandwiched together, and Service dealt with some of those. They seem to recur, and now some similar noise is coming from he air vents. I have a rattle in the passenger side rear door panel when the car goes around curves. Probably just a loose clip or something.

Remember that some of the noise reported is because the car drivetrain is quiet, so you hear things sometimes that normally would be drowned out by engine noise.

I have no real comment on interior quality. It seems fine to me, but then I don't have high expectations. I don't buy luxury cars, and I keep cars for 15-20 years. I'm more interested in how long they last. I have had no issues with the interior materials, and it is the nicest interior I have owned.

• Like x 1
  19. mrtian97

mrtian97 Member

Thanks for everyone's feedback, after further considerations, I decided to sit out this time since I won't need the car right away, my 328 lease won't be up until end of Aug, and I also have my Fiat 500e. I have reservation for Model 3, placed on April 1 last yr, I may opt for used Model S instead, seems $50,000 range for 3 yrs old CPO with 85 kwh would be better route with extended warranty that Tesla provide with the cpo.
    My worry with Model 3, the car look remind me of Mazda 3 (from the drive around that showed in another thread).

20. AnxietyRanger

AnxietyRanger Well-Known Member

1. Yeah, the interior is pretty bad quality-wise. It has a nice minimalistic design ethos to it, though, but it is closer to a Volkswagen or a low-end BMW at best, than a premium car. The dash is pretty nice thanks to the constantly updating software platform it runs, with the screens and all, but beyond that it is very mediocre at best, with very basic styling, very basic seat controls etc.

2. I haven't had many rattles, but sound insulation is pretty bad.

I am not against the minimalist style at all, but the material quality, interior features etc. simply aren't there yet. Unfortunately it has not gotten much better since 2013-2014... (quite the contrary, Tesla has e.g. limited trim choices even more) so a lot of people are hoping for an interior upgrade sometime in the future.

Incidentally, this is just being discussed on the Model X side: Model X Interior Design