Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Real estate available for superchargers in NJ

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Panacea

TSLA Shareholder/Believer
Feb 9, 2013
NJ
Does anybody know who I should contact to discuss a parcel of land located on a major highway, next to a diner that is open 24/7 and just 1.5 miles off the NJ Turnpike? I have discussed this with the NJ store but no one seems to know who the best person to contact. The NJ supercharger promise isn't moving as fast as I would like and I am getting my car in 16 days, lol. I only hear that the original location on NJ Turnpike is mired in bureaucracy.....

Many thanks!

Tesla is in definite active discussions (within the last week or so) with the New Jersey Turnpike Authority for the 'installation of the charging stations at select service area facilities.' 'NJT wants to support EVs and preliminary discussions to locate possibly two Supercharger stops along the Turnpike, one at Molly Pitcher, between exits 8 and 8a southbound and another one in that general vicinity northbound.' as per other NJ Tesla owners that had inquired directly with NJT employees this past week.

Anyone...Bueller? I should have been more clear...this is my property that I want to develop...and since I take delivery tomorrow (pass the smelling salts,lol) I would love to have this 0.61 acre parcel of land, located 1.5 miles off Turnpike Exit 9 developed with a service center and/or superchargers. So, ANY assistance in whom to contact would be much appreciated. Cheers!

Last edited:
Tesla is in definite active discussions (within the last week or so) with the New Jersey Turnpike Authority for the 'installation of the charging stations at select service area facilities.' 'NJT wants to support EVs and preliminary discussions to locate possibly two Supercharger stops along the Turnpike, one at Molly Pitcher, between exits 8 and 8a southbound and another one in that general vicinity northbound.' as per other NJ Tesla owners that had inquired directly with NJT employees this past week.

This would be awesome as it is the exit that I take to get to my in-laws house in Manalapan, NJ.

Does anybody know who I should contact to discuss a parcel of land located on a major highway, next to a diner that is open 24/7 and just 1.5 miles off the NJ Turnpike? I have discussed this with the NJ store but no one seems to know who the best person to contact. The NJ supercharger promise isn't moving as fast as I would like and I am getting my car in 16 days, lol. I only hear that the original location on NJ Turnpike is mired in bureaucracy.....

Many thanks!

I contacted them via website/supercharger page and detailed my suggested area w/ reasons why it's a prime location (i.e. immediately off major road/lots of shops/nice restaurants/growing area w/ lots of unused space still)

I contacted them via website/supercharger page and detailed my suggested area w/ reasons why it's a prime location (i.e. immediately off major road/lots of shops/nice restaurants/growing area w/ lots of unused space still)
Many thanks rjcbox! I have done that many times as well. Doesn't hurt to keep trying though. :smile:

I'll only believe it when I see it. every time someone asks they say something different. this is just another round of "I'm going to make up an answer to give to you."

I've gotten confirmation from a Tesla Store employee about a supercharger in Edison, NJ but not the others. In all honesty, there is no need for more than 1 supercharger (or both sides of NJ Turnpike) in NJ. Darien CT and Newark DE are only 170 miles away from each other and Edison NJ will cut that almost down the middle. Would really be a waste of money - and those other 2 locations are right by Edison....

Aaron

PS - When I drove to Richmond, VA the other day for the Supercharger ribbon cutting, I scoped out some the rest areas on the turnpike but didn't see any evidence yet of construction.

I've gotten confirmation from a Tesla Store employee about a supercharger in Edison, NJ but not the others. In all honesty, there is no need for more than 1 supercharger (or both sides of NJ Turnpike) in NJ. Darien CT and Newark DE are only 170 miles away from each other and Edison NJ will cut that almost down the middle. Would really be a waste of money - and those other 2 locations are right by Edison....

Aaron

PS - When I drove to Richmond, VA the other day for the Supercharger ribbon cutting, I scoped out some the rest areas on the turnpike but didn't see any evidence yet of construction.

Agreed. Edison would be very nice for me, because it would allow me to charge before hitting the city and to top off on my way home (since I don't have a place to charge when I stay with relatives up there). But you don't need three different locations.

As I said in another thread, the more I think about a supercharger at TP service plazas, the less plausible it seems. Not only would you need one on either side of the highway (as opposed to a single location, like in DE), you'd also restrict access to those people that were ON the TP itself. Someone on the Garden State, e.g., would have to get on the TP, charge, drive dozens of miles in the wrong direction, turn around, and then drive dozens of miles back to get back on the Garden State. Putting it at an exit makes a lot more sense.

I was just at the service center in Springfield and I was told off the parkway where it meets route 80. Bottom line, it is a crap shoot. I guess we will find out when it opens.

Route 80 (I80) is further north and heads west from the George Washington Bridge.

The only bad thing about being off the NJ Turnpike, is that you now have to pay the toll then when finished, get back on the turnpike again. The benefit of course, as said, would be that you could have 1 location instead of 2.

Rutgers University is right off the NJ Turnpike at exit 9 - there's also a Holiday Inn Express right off the exit. Perhaps 2 possible locations...

Aaron

Aaron

Then why put ones in Darien and Milford. Besides Tesla Store employees don't know anything about where they are putting these things so I wouldn't put much stock in what they say until we start to see construction.

Then why put ones in Darien and Milford. Besides Tesla Store employees don't know anything about where they are putting these things so I wouldn't put much stock in what they say until we start to see construction.

Milford, CT only has 2 chargers on each side of the highway and may not have room (or the rights) to add more chargers, so they decided to put 4 on either side in Darien, 30 miles away to be able to handle the growing number of Model S drivers in the Northeast.

Most likely, Tesla will install 8 charging bays (like they just did in Richmond, VA) in the Edison, NJ area - especially if they build it off of the Turnpike. That should be enough to handle the load for the immediate future....

Aaron

Milford, CT only has 2 chargers on each side of the highway and may not have room (or the rights) to add more chargers, so they decided to put 4 on either side in Darien, 30 miles away to be able to handle the growing number of Model S drivers in the Northeast.

Most likely, Tesla will install 8 charging bays (like they just did in Richmond, VA) in the Edison, NJ area - especially if they build it off of the Turnpike. That should be enough to handle the load for the immediate future....

Aaron

This is what I was getting at. There is your reason for more than one Supercharger site in NJ.

Besides without knowing where it would be you have no way to make the assumption that they would be able to put in 8 bays. On top of that as they are finding out in CA 8 bays is not enough in some places. As we have growth of Teslas out here we will start running into the same problems. Add to that the fact that last time I used Darien south it was packed, and at least one of the other cars had just done a range charge at Milford and stopped at Darien to "top off".

Feeling neglected here in South Jersey. We need a SuperCharger for roadtrips to/from Pennsylvania to/from the great beaches of Cape May and Atlantic City resorts. May I suggest EXIT 41 off AC Expressway, The Shops at Cross Keys in Sicklerville as an awesome location. Plaza is immediately accessible travelling West or East on AC Expressway, just off exit ramp. This is a newly built plaza w/ lots of good food and shops: http://www.theshoppesatcrosskeys.com/ Their website is not updated, but for food there's Sushi, Tex-Mex, Italian, Chinese Buffet, Sports Bar, new Steakhouse just opened & Starbucks to name a few. http://www.stoltzusa.com/documents/shopsatcrossss.pdf Tons of parking spots available. If you have similar suggestions, Tesla can be contacted here: http://teslafactory.wufoo.com/forms/supercharging/

Last edited: