Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

REAL interior shots

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I believe this is our first shot of the black leather with red piping

p.php.jpg

oh and that carbon fiber actually looks pretty nice on the dash and armrest!

Another

p.php.jpg

Did you finally go with Lacewood?! No regrets about the CF interior?!

I've got lacewood in yes. I asked my rep if I could change my order when I saw pics of the cars next weekend. She said that should be fine. I'm curious how Piano black holds up to finger prints/dust, and how the CF looks on all that expanse of dash. It looks like it's much more matte now, which should help with finger prints and dust a bit. I really liked the way Jurvetson's car looked like it had leather or matte piano black on the dash.

@bb, i'm in the same boat... black interior, debating matte or glossy obeche. was also leaning toward glossy after test drive because it had some actual colors in it, unlike the matte which seems just kind of warm grey... but i'm having second thoughts, or something.. just don't want it TOO glossy. like some sort of toy.

i have black leather and warm wood finish in my car (bmw) now and love it, just trying to get close to that really....

i have black leather and warm wood finish in my car (bmw) now and love it, just trying to get close to that really....

Me too. I ended up ordering the glossy trim yesterday since the matte looked too drab to me. It is quite shiny but I think it looks a bit more finished. Realistically, either will look good with black leather and it just comes down to personal preference. Good luck with your decision...

@grisnjam, thanks for the pix! Makes me feel even better about my decision.

Interior of R#1079:

Tan Leather.
Glossy Obeche.

I like all the trims, and I also wonder if there could be some better options overall, but...
Why the Obeche? I actually like the wood. I like the grain, the contrast with the uniform leather. I know, I know - it has been called Detroit, dated, many things - but it is not dated. Well, let's say it's as dated as a wooden baseball bat. Wood is the only finish that has stayed the test of time. Like 90 years. And it is real wood (veneer, I am sure, yes), not plastic or composite. The matte lacewood and obeche are very nice, but I held the gloss obeche in daylight in NYC and White Plains - there is depth and color - warm colors - that come out. Much more so than the matte, to my eye, which seemed a little greyish. Fingerprints? Yes, but the trim is only on a few frequently touched surfaces - the console and area behind and around the cup holders. For me the wood brings a warmth and -yes - a connection to the past I can't wait to see change in the light and feel as I drive. I spoke with Elon about this and I am pretty sure that is why he chose the obeche gloss. Okay, so I made that up - gotcha. But he did choose obeche gloss. :cool:

It's a real shame what they did to the lacewood. I'm still getting it, but it used to be so cool in the original samples. I guess it was just too expensive to produce.

This is one of the items that could easily become a choke point for production. The various interior panels (except piano black) are likely made by an outside vendor. If they can't keep up with Tesla's demand then the entire line comes to a halt awaiting those parts.

The same thing happened with the aerodynamic wheels. The vendor can't pull it off and then Tesla gets egg on their face.

Interior of R#1079:

Tan Leather.
Glossy Obeche.

I like all the trims, and I also wonder if there could be some better options overall, but...
Why the Obeche? I actually like the wood. I like the grain, the contrast with the uniform leather. I know, I know - it has been called Detroit, dated, many things - but it is not dated. Well, let's say it's as dated as a wooden baseball bat. Wood is the only finish that has stayed the test of time. Like 90 years. And it is real wood (veneer, I am sure, yes), not plastic or composite.
I'm also a fan of wood interiors.
The matte lacewood and obeche are very nice, but I held the gloss obeche in daylight in NYC and White Plains - there is depth and color - warm colors - that come out. Much more so than the matte, to my eye, which seemed a little greyish.
If I don't get to see them for myself, I may go with your recommendation here. You're, what, the third person who preferred glossy obeche to matte obeche despite not particularly wanting glossy. I have been having trouble deciding between the matte and glossy obeche.
(There is something I don't like about the lacewood pattern.) I hope I get a chance to see them.

Hope you have a chance to hold a sample of the woods. My opinion is just an opinion. However, the comment I made about the depth and colors revealed in the gloss is noticeable and others have commented the same, and the only question is then whether you want that. A tesla rep indicated he expected the gloss to b less scratch able which I found counterintuitive. Said the gloss is protected by the coating. Came up as I was concerned about stuff put on the console scratching, and the console is made from the same wood finish. I would not bank on his opinion though. you know, I have seen several of the finishes and they all step up to he plate and are great looking in this Sweet looking car. It's all a win win choice.