TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

REAL interior shots

Discussion in 'Model S: Interior & Exterior' started by AnOutsider, May 30, 2012.

1. AnOutsider

AnOutsider S532 # XS27

I believe this is our first shot of the black leather with red piping

p.php.jpg

oh and that carbon fiber actually looks pretty nice on the dash and armrest!

Another

p.php.jpg

2. mlascano

mlascano S Sig #722

The black leather/red pipping does look nice!

From this pic, does anyone see the "retractable cover" for the pano roof? Still waiting to see proof of its existence...

3. AnOutsider

AnOutsider S532 # XS27

I don't, but I was worried about the lighter-colored ceiling -- no more! Looks pretty good :)

4. gg_got_a_tesla

gg_got_a_tesla Model S: VIN 65513, Model 3: VIN 1913

Did you finally go with Lacewood?! No regrets about the CF interior?!

5. NigelM

NigelM Recovering Member

Partial discussion here: More-factory-pics

6. mlascano

mlascano S Sig #722

7. AnOutsider

AnOutsider S532 # XS27

I've got lacewood in yes. I asked my rep if I could change my order when I saw pics of the cars next weekend. She said that should be fine. I'm curious how Piano black holds up to finger prints/dust, and how the CF looks on all that expanse of dash. It looks like it's much more matte now, which should help with finger prints and dust a bit. I really liked the way Jurvetson's car looked like it had leather or matte piano black on the dash.

8. pguerra

pguerra Member

Super important for buyers in Texas!!! Otherwise it'll be like a high tech greenhouse with cracked leather seats when parked outside, uncovered.

9. jomo25

jomo25 Active Member

Have to agree on this point. From these pics, the lighter colored ceiling looks less obnoxious. But I still want more pics of this before I move away from the tan leather interior in my saved design.

10. AnOutsider

AnOutsider S532 # XS27

#30 AnOutsider, Jul 16, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 13, 2016
    Here is a video with black leather and lacewood interior:

11. heems

heems Member

Any one can point me to an interior picture of black leather + matte obeche?

12. bbmertz

bbmertz Model S: P4909

A picture of black leather with glossy Obeche would be helpful as well. I'm still debating between matte and glossy. Was leaning toward matte based on the website, but now considering glossy after visiting the Fashion Island store.

13. grisnjam

grisnjam P6316

From the motortrend photo set:

Black with Glossy Obeche.jpg
    Black with Glossy Obeche 2.jpg

14. dtich

dtich #P708

@bb, i'm in the same boat... black interior, debating matte or glossy obeche. was also leaning toward glossy after test drive because it had some actual colors in it, unlike the matte which seems just kind of warm grey... but i'm having second thoughts, or something.. just don't want it TOO glossy. like some sort of toy.

i have black leather and warm wood finish in my car (bmw) now and love it, just trying to get close to that really....

15. bbmertz

bbmertz Model S: P4909

Me too. I ended up ordering the glossy trim yesterday since the matte looked too drab to me. It is quite shiny but I think it looks a bit more finished. Realistically, either will look good with black leather and it just comes down to personal preference. Good luck with your decision...

@grisnjam, thanks for the pix! Makes me feel even better about my decision.

16. ModelS1079

ModelS1079 Member

Interior of R#1079:

Tan Leather.
    Glossy Obeche.

I like all the trims, and I also wonder if there could be some better options overall, but...
    Why the Obeche? I actually like the wood. I like the grain, the contrast with the uniform leather. I know, I know - it has been called Detroit, dated, many things - but it is not dated. Well, let's say it's as dated as a wooden baseball bat. Wood is the only finish that has stayed the test of time. Like 90 years. And it is real wood (veneer, I am sure, yes), not plastic or composite. The matte lacewood and obeche are very nice, but I held the gloss obeche in daylight in NYC and White Plains - there is depth and color - warm colors - that come out. Much more so than the matte, to my eye, which seemed a little greyish. Fingerprints? Yes, but the trim is only on a few frequently touched surfaces - the console and area behind and around the cup holders. For me the wood brings a warmth and -yes - a connection to the past I can't wait to see change in the light and feel as I drive. I spoke with Elon about this and I am pretty sure that is why he chose the obeche gloss. Okay, so I made that up - gotcha. But he did choose obeche gloss. :cool:

17. Schlermie

Schlermie P4932 - Delivery: 12/22

It's a real shame what they did to the lacewood. I'm still getting it, but it used to be so cool in the original samples. I guess it was just too expensive to produce.

18. Grendal

Grendal SpaceX Moderator

This is one of the items that could easily become a choke point for production. The various interior panels (except piano black) are likely made by an outside vendor. If they can't keep up with Tesla's demand then the entire line comes to a halt awaiting those parts.

The same thing happened with the aerodynamic wheels. The vendor can't pull it off and then Tesla gets egg on their face.

19. neroden

neroden Model S Owner and Frustrated Tesla Fan

I'm also a fan of wood interiors.
    If I don't get to see them for myself, I may go with your recommendation here. You're, what, the third person who preferred glossy obeche to matte obeche despite not particularly wanting glossy. I have been having trouble deciding between the matte and glossy obeche.
    (There is something I don't like about the lacewood pattern.) I hope I get a chance to see them.

20. ModelS1079

ModelS1079 Member

Hope you have a chance to hold a sample of the woods. My opinion is just an opinion. However, the comment I made about the depth and colors revealed in the gloss is noticeable and others have commented the same, and the only question is then whether you want that. A tesla rep indicated he expected the gloss to b less scratch able which I found counterintuitive. Said the gloss is protected by the coating. Came up as I was concerned about stuff put on the console scratching, and the console is made from the same wood finish. I would not bank on his opinion though. you know, I have seen several of the finishes and they all step up to he plate and are great looking in this Sweet looking car. It's all a win win choice.