TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

REAL interior shots

Discussion in 'Model S: Interior & Exterior' started by AnOutsider, May 30, 2012.

1. artsci

artsci Sponsor

Are we sure the Signature dash is covered in leather? I have doubts -- it's not a good material for the kind of constant exposure to the sun that a dash top receives and thus would not hold up well.

2. Oyvind.H

Oyvind.H Member

Well, no. I just assumed it was leather. Thought I read it somewhere, but as you point out, other fabrics are better. The most important for me is still that the dash and doors look leather-coated. It gives the interior a luxury feeling :)

3. MikeK

MikeK R#129, TSLA shareholder

The biggest difference I've noticed is that the entire headliner in the Performance cars is Alcantara.

4. Twiddler

Twiddler Member

I have been told by multiple store employees that all headliners will be alcanatra (including my P60) - is this not the case?

5. shokunin

shokunin P85 & M3

Production headliner was supposedly microfiber.. I think it was neroden who was commenting on the different headliner materials.

6. felixtb

felixtb RsEU502,Sp+14274,XpEUSig4

as far as I know. alcantara is a brand and their product is the worlds best known automotive finishings microfiber..........but just the same a microfiber. and the name has become synonymous with the product kind of like a xerox copy...........

7. MikeK

MikeK R#129, TSLA shareholder

I have definitely seen two different headliner materials in the demo cars, and I have on one of my videos from the Palo Alto event a brief snippet of a Tesla person demonstrating the difference to another customer.

However, perhaps things have changed, and they are all Alcantara now. I'd be delighted if so -- the headliner in my friend's Sig Performance was very nice.

- - - Updated - - -

(The other material was more of a woven textile, by the way.)

8. brianman

brianman Burrito Founder

I really like it, and I don't mind sharing with non-Sigs on this one. :)

9. bosgig

bosgig Member

Does anyone know whether cleaning the Alcantara will be a problem, particularly with the tan interior? Sorry, showing some ignorance here, but it seems like it would stain easily relative to leather. I may have that totally backwards since it's a microfiber.?.?

10. jerry33

jerry33 S85 - VIN:P05130 - 3/2/13

The Alcantara upholstery in my 2004 Prius have no stains after 140,000+ miles and I haven't been particularly careful. It's the leather that will have the problem (and unfortunately, you're forced into leather to get heated seating--someone screwed up big-time there).

11. ModelS1079

ModelS1079 Member

This is not only very true, but also a key point. The test car at White Plains is Blue with Tan interior and I was impressed - happily so - by the black accents supporting the tan - or are they tan accents on black? In any case, it looks more fast and much less Chevy than I feared when I ordered tan. I want the warmth of tan, but the sleekness of black. I do have many pics of this and will try and upload.

12. contaygious

contaygious Active Member

Performance gives the Alcantra headliner

"The $3,500 Upgraded Interior includes all items in the $1,500 Nappa Leather Interior package, plus an Alcantara headliner ($1,900 on a Porsche Panamera), additional leather treatments and Alcantara seat bolsters ($600), Carbon Fiber décor option ($500 on Audi S7), and contrast color piping on seats ($200). This package rolls up to between $4,200 and $4,700 (depending upon if you choose the Carbon Fiber Décor on not), but was included in the Performance Package "

13. PhilMul

PhilMul Member

I am totally confused with your shots at this point :) The top five shots show the tan interior to be almmost ivory white. The last shot of the series shows the tan to be darker and more of a light saddle color. What is the real color; ivory whitish or darker tan?

We have ordered a Pearl White P85 with the grey interior, but now maybe I should switch to the tan if it is ivory white in reality. Of course if someone has the Pearl White with the Grey interior and it works, please reply to my post as I am very confused at this point :)

14. dsm363

dsm363 Roadster + Sig Model S

PhilMul: Looking at pictures on the web can be difficult. The white balance may have been off on the original pictures too. Is there any chance you can make it to a Tesla store to look at actual samples or maybe a local owner can let you see their car?