TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Real Leather or Synthetic?

Discussion in 'Model S: Interior & Exterior' started by timf, Jul 24, 2013.

1. timf

timf Member

The Model S interior has many surfaces that appear to be leather wrapped, but which of these surfaces (if any) are real leather vs. synthetic?

With the seats they make it clear what you are getting - synthetic with the textile seats, or real Nappa leather. However, no mention is made of the seat selection influencing the rest of the interior other than limiting your choice of trim to piano black vs. wood. The steering wheel, dash, and door panels all appear to be the same regardless of seats. I've noticed the steering wheel texture is different than other cars with leather-wrapped steering wheels that I've driven. Is this because it and the rest of the interior is really a synthetic material?

2. kevincwelch

kevincwelch Active Member

#2 kevincwelch, Jul 24, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 24, 2013
    We had this discussion before, and I don't recall any real resolution of it.

As far as I know, the seats are leather. Everything else that looks like it's leather may not be. Regardless, there is probably some layer of protectant (vinyl?) on the seats. But, I wonder and wonder.

3. ChrisPDX

ChrisPDX Member

When looking closely at my interior, I noticed the following pattern: If your skin regularly touches it, it's leather. If not, it's fake. So while the seat surfaces are leather, the sides are vinyl. The arm rests in the door are leather but the rest of it is plastic.

Kevin,
    Interesting note about the vinyl coated leather. I will have to try the water test sometime and see how it does.

4. Andrew Wolfe

Andrew Wolfe Roadster 472 - S 440

I think that Signature and Performance are all leather - others are leather only on seating surfaces.

5. markb1

markb1 Active Member

I think this is correct, except you forgot about the stearing wheel, which I believe is also leather, and it fits your pattern.