Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Real Leather or Synthetic?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

timf

Apr 14, 2013
Michigan
The Model S interior has many surfaces that appear to be leather wrapped, but which of these surfaces (if any) are real leather vs. synthetic?

With the seats they make it clear what you are getting - synthetic with the textile seats, or real Nappa leather. However, no mention is made of the seat selection influencing the rest of the interior other than limiting your choice of trim to piano black vs. wood. The steering wheel, dash, and door panels all appear to be the same regardless of seats. I've noticed the steering wheel texture is different than other cars with leather-wrapped steering wheels that I've driven. Is this because it and the rest of the interior is really a synthetic material?

When looking closely at my interior, I noticed the following pattern: If your skin regularly touches it, it's leather. If not, it's fake. So while the seat surfaces are leather, the sides are vinyl. The arm rests in the door are leather but the rest of it is plastic.

Kevin,
Interesting note about the vinyl coated leather. I will have to try the water test sometime and see how it does.

When looking closely at my interior, I noticed the following pattern: If your skin regularly touches it, it's leather. If not, it's fake. So while the seat surfaces are leather, the sides are vinyl. The arm rests in the door are leather but the rest of it is plastic.

I think this is correct, except you forgot about the stearing wheel, which I believe is also leather, and it fits your pattern.