Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Real life daily commute range

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

MY-user

MYLR, 5s, OD9/10, received on Nov. 29.
Sep 15, 2021
Colorado
Ok, I have about 500 miles on my Y. Here's my impression for the daily commute usable range. When I took the picture below the car was 80% charged and the projected range was 217 miles.
217/0.8=271 mile range for 100% to 0%.
Deduct 10% for the rapid range loss that will happen in the first year and we are at 244 mile range.
The optimal usage of the battery is between 80% and 30%. So, 80-30= 50% this means the daily commute distance is 122 miles.

With that said I was using everything the car has to offer. Steering wheel heater, seat heater for myself and my wife and our kiddo when he was with us, preheating the car before using it etc.

122 miles is about 2x of our typical daily drive. Not bad overall but new car buyers need to know what to expect.

Attachments

• 20211208_065658.jpg
    20211208_065658.jpg
    182.6 KB · Views: 7,117
Ok, I have about 500 miles on my Y. Here's my impression for the daily commute usable range. When I took the picture below the car was 80% charged and the projected range was 217 miles.
217/0.8=271 mile range for 100% to 0%.
Deduct 10% for the rapid range loss that will happen in the first year and we are at 244 mile range.
The optimal usage of the battery is between 80% and 30%. So, 80-30= 50% this means the daily commute distance is 122 miles.

With that said I was using everything the car has to offer. Steering wheel heater, seat heater for myself and my wife and our kiddo when he was with us, preheating the car before using it etc.

122 miles is about 2x of our typical daily drive. Not bad overall but new car buyers need to know what to expect.
Although you have only driven less than 1000 miles you seem to have things well sorted out. If you find yourself in a situation where you would want additional range, if only as a cushion, just slow down 5 or 10 MPH. The difference in efficiency is eye opening. Driving at 65 MPH instead of 70 MPH can improve your Wh/mile efficiency and range by 9%, almost 20% if you slow down 10 MPH. Think of it is as built in battery reserve.

Although you have only driven less than 1000 miles you seem to have things well sorted out. If you find yourself in a situation where you would want additional range, if only as a cushion, just slow down 5 or 10 MPH. The difference in efficiency is eye opening. Driving at 65 MPH instead of 70 MPH can improve your Wh/mile efficiency and range by 9%, almost 20% if you slow down 10 MPH. Think of it is as built in battery reserve.
I appreciate the tip! My plan for now is to use all that the car has to offer and not worry about the efficiency. I like going 80 in a 75mph zone :)
The range is not an issue as the car is charged to 80% each night.

No offense, but I don't think 500 miles of drivng experience gives you any right to publish valuable predictions.

Do come back with another one at 10K. Perhaps you'll be surprised too that this one might have been a bit premature.
None taken! I welcome input from all even if disagree with me. The way the car is used I will have 10k in about 6-7 months.

Reactions: GOVA
I’ve had my YP for 2 weeks, 1600 miles, love the thing. No way I’m slowing down to get more range and higher efficiency. Figure there’s a reason there are chargers everywhere including one at my office and home garage.
I’m enjoying the car the all it has to offer.

Drove from LA to Scottsdale yesterday, 375 miles, stopped twice to charge, one 30 min and the other 15 and another bathroom break. Cruising speed range 75-85, with passing bursts up to 100, 7 hours trip time, about 1-1/4 hours longer than my gas car.

like going 80 in a 75mph zone
No problem! But that's you, and that's why it doesn't make any sense for you to determine what kind of range other drivers will get. Others might not use "all it has to offer", or they might have a slower commuting speed, or they might be commuting in below-freezing temperatures. It's good that you've figured it out for yourself, but you can't translate that to other people.

No problem! But that's you, and that's why it doesn't make any sense for you to determine what kind of range other drivers will get. Others might not use "all it has to offer", or they might have a slower commuting speed, or they might be commuting in below-freezing temperatures. It's good that you've figured it out for yourself, but you can't translate that to other people.
I see this forum as a place to exchange ideas and experience. Sure there are many variables like the weather and driving style but I feel those who use the car the way I do could find my posts useful.

Reactions: boulder.dude
Drove from LA to Scottsdale yesterday, 375 miles, stopped twice to charge, one 30 min and the other 15 and another bathroom break. Cruising speed range 75-85, with passing bursts up to 100, 7 hours trip time, about 1-1/4 hours longer than my gas car.
That's the hardest thing to do... keeping the speeds at sane levels.

Btw what is this rapid range loss in the first year business? My 80% charge on a MYP 7-8 months old now is 235m give or take. If you charge like an idiot you can miscalibrate the battery and get misleading range estimates...

I usually throw it on AP and just chill so I don't get tempted.
I was on AP when a car that was going slower and about 0.5 car lengths ahead of me began drifting into my lane. I instinctively took over and my car "jumped" about 2' when I fought the AP.
What would you (and others who use AP) do in a situation like this? Do you trust the AP to do the right thing or take over?

I was on AP when a car that was going slower and about 0.5 car lengths ahead of me began drifting into my lane. I instinctively took over and my car "jumped" about 2' when I fought the AP.
What would you (and others who use AP) do in a situation like this? Do you trust the AP to do the right thing or take over?
It's natural to fight AP. I think it'll be a long time before we humans learn to trust it. That said, just tap the brake to disengage, its a safer way to take control. Grabbing the wheel like that creates situations that can well, get hairy.

• Informative
Reactions: MY-user
I’ve had my YP for 2 weeks, 1600 miles, love the thing. No way I’m slowing down to get more range and higher efficiency. Figure there’s a reason there are chargers everywhere including one at my office and home garage.
I’m enjoying the car the all it has to offer.

What cities did you stop and supercharge? I’m also in La Verne and looking to take that same trip.