Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Real life experience with Xcelerate warranty?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So glad to hear the Xcelerate warranty for the Model S works smoothly.

I guess the moral of the story (to avoid not being able to upgrade to MCU 2.0) is if your MCU 1.0 dies, insist on the MCU 2.0 upgrade from the begining and have them order the MCU 2.0 and make sure it is in stock before they start work on the car?

So if you pay $2,500 for MCU 2.0, can you ask for MCU 1.0 back as "old parts?"

• Disagree
Reactions: cucubits

I didn't know anything about the MCU2 being hard-to-get. The way the SC put it to me (and another customer ahead of me in the covid line) was that MCU1 refurb at $900-odd could take weeks vs the MCU2 tomorrow. No brainer. I doubt I would have gotten the core had I asked for it...but I have way too much cr@p in the barn as it is...

Yes - I called the dedicated claim agent as I arrived (leaving a message) and she returned my call a few mins later. She had explained they very much prefer to pay direct that way over cutting a check later. Tesla guy had said previously they would have no dealing with 3rd party warranty due to past 'check is in the mail' syndrome, so the plan worked well. The guy only had to figure out how to process a split payment for the first time. Which he did, with good grace.

I have XCARE as well and had my first issue, luckily a minor one, repaired today. The passenger side front door handle would not present, so I called the number on the card, logged my issue and was instructed to contact Tesla to schedule the repair. The mobile tech (Ranger) came out to repair it and all worked well up to job completion.

I had hoped calling ahead would have handled all the billing items up front and I would have simply had to pay the deductible. Unfortunately, both the service provider and the tech stated they typically don't deal with third party warranty companies. At the completion of the job, I contacted XCARE, with the tech next to me (Social Distancing of course), and the XCARE representative after some time on hold as she processed the final invoice, provided the tech with a credit card number for payment of "their" portion. Unfortunately, the transaction would not go thru as the system would not allow the tech to bill to a credit card that did not have the same address as my Tesla Account address. We had been on with the rep for about 20 minutes so I asked if I could pay it and they reimburse me, which the rep agreed to, despite their preference to bill directly to Tesla.

All in all a good experience, but I wish the billing portions were a bit more user friendly and seamless.

rx

I would expect to have to pay, and get reimbursed by XCARE. Tesla apparently does not want to call and get advanced "approval" for repairs, nor do they want to fool with third party payments. I can call and get approval and pay, as long as XCARE reimburses me quickly. Too bad Tesla is too inflexible with customers as to make it as difficult as possible to use a competitor's product, unlike almost all other car dealers in the nation. Tesla should focus more on customer service. Perhaps some day?

So glad to hear the Xcelerate warranty for the Model S works smoothly.

I guess the moral of the story (to avoid not being able to upgrade to MCU 2.0) is if your MCU 1.0 dies, insist on the MCU 2.0 upgrade from the begining and have them order the MCU 2.0 and make sure it is in stock before they start work on the car?

Tesla likely recycles them, as they have precious metals and perfectly good parts for remanufactured units.

• Funny
Reactions: outdoors
Glad to see this thread. Anyone interested in getting their questions answered and concerns addressed, just hit us up at www.xcelerateauto.com/x-care, or email me directly at [email protected] We are a purpose driven company, and our goal is to get as many people to adopt the electric lifestyle and keep their cars on the road as long as possible. Also, Model 3 and Y do not have extended warranties available, but we can cover out to 10 years or 175k miles. Let us help, and keep the world transitioning to a sustainable future together.

Glad to see this thread. Anyone interested in getting their questions answered and concerns addressed, just hit us up at www.xcelerateauto.com/x-care, or email me directly at [email protected] We are a purpose driven company, and our goal is to get as many people to adopt the electric lifestyle and keep their cars on the road as long as possible. Also, Model 3 and Y do not have extended warranties available, but we can cover out to 10 years or 175k miles. Let us help, and keep the world transitioning to a sustainable future together.

So glad you are offering this service.

This makes the process of buying a used Tesla much less stressful.

Do you offer any sort of PPI process to "certify" a used car someone may want to buy with your warranty to protect yourself and the buyer of the used car? I assume after someone buys your warranty for a used car they bought, you will cover any repairs but what if, unknown to the new purchaser, the car was previously modified or a repair performed improperly by the previous owner?

So glad you are offering this service.

This makes the process of buying a used Tesla much less stressful.

Do you offer any sort of PPI process to "certify" a used car someone may want to buy with your warranty to protect yourself and the buyer of the used car? I assume after someone buys your warranty for a used car they bought, you will cover any repairs but what if, unknown to the new purchaser, the car was previously modified or a repair performed improperly by the previous owner?
Great question! We are currently in the developmental stages of a dealership training program to help resellers understand and educate the public on the various aspects of EV ownership, maintenance and "lifestyle" questions/concerns. As for certifying individual dealerships to spot illegal/improper modifications to a Tesla, we're not equipped to enforce something like that on a broad or scalable way, so we'll have to leave that to the market sadly. This is where finding a dealership with deep knowledge is so crucial to getting not only a good deal, but a truly good used EV. Of course, the usual history checks (CarFax et al) can also help spot a problem car, but ultimately these only provide so much data, and only from public sources. We do not inspect prior to coverage (besides a picture of the Tesla "T" screen to verify VIN and miles, and an instrument panel photo for S and X. Hope this is helpful, and thanks for the question!

It should be allowed, it’s Tesla’s mess. All MCU1 should get replacements at cost, no labor

Ok first of all, theres no such thing as a "bad/loose plug" killing the MCU, so i know your story about them tracing it to the trunk and re-pinning it is a load of croak.

your MCU coincidentally dying IS plausible, but you probably shouldn't have added that you upgraded to the MCU2 and xcelerate just didn't pay the difference.. there is currently no way to upgrade to MCU2 when your MCU1 dies, plenty have tried on this forum but everyone is only given the option to get a refurb or new MCU1, so the fact that you somehow got an MCU2 after your MCU1 died is... 100% not possible (at this moment) ;)

Reactions: OilSucks
This might help...with the benefit of that first experience, the payment transaction just completed even more easily for a door handle and front suspension work. The sequence that worked for me:

1) Call Xcare to get email info for your agent. Give them a heads up there will be a claim. That's all they seem to need until an estimate is available.
2) Schedule repair with SC.
3) As Tesla provide updated estimates for approval, go ahead and approve, forward copy to Xcare agent. This seems to be the only 'heads up' they need. (if something not completely covered like my MCU upgrade they will advise promptly)
4) As completion approaches, reply to the SC text message with Xcare contact info - phone, email and my policy# - request they copy final invoice to the Xcare rep and call for payment.
5) Arrive at SC to find Xcare paid already with the deductible taken by the SC from my card on record.

Nice that the SC here are now more comfortable to accommodate settlement this way.

This might help...with the benefit of that first experience, the payment transaction just completed even more easily for a door handle and front suspension work. The sequence that worked for me:

1) Call Xcare to get email info for your agent. Give them a heads up there will be a claim. That's all they seem to need until an estimate is available.
2) Schedule repair with SC.
3) As Tesla provide updated estimates for approval, go ahead and approve, forward copy to Xcare agent. This seems to be the only 'heads up' they need. (if something not completely covered like my MCU upgrade they will advise promptly)
4) As completion approaches, reply to the SC text message with Xcare contact info - phone, email and my policy# - request they copy final invoice to the Xcare rep and call for payment.
5) Arrive at SC to find Xcare paid already with the deductible taken by the SC from my card on record.

Nice that the SC here are now more comfortable to accommodate settlement this way.
Very pleased to hear of your experience, and happy we were able to help!

Reactions: Matty Bumpo
Thanks for the feedback. I’m considering getting the XCare warranty when my pre owned model x comes in. My main concern for not having an extended warranty is with falcon doors and this being a mobile super computer. My main consideration for not getting one is the unlimited miles until 2026. I could burn through some miles on paper. So splitting down the middle might be straddling the remaining factory warranty + 10 months and say 8500 miles. I wonder if that would extend the life of the warranty miles wise? Apply the 50k warranty after racking up miles not before.I know it would likely increase the cost of the warranty but it might prolong coverage. My only other concern is no power train coverage with XCare. Perhaps it’s pointless or would cost too much per policy? Tesla tells me they can replace cells now so battery should not be a huge issue. Apparatly the power train is mainly two motors. They had no repair estimate for me there. I tend to be a warranty guy and will probably get this at some point. Thanks again for the feedback.

I accept that i was wrong and i was out of line. it was just a bit odd for a first post but thanks for the proof, that does sound like good news then!! :):)
Though I was not part of this conversation, I will simply say I'm impressed that you would come back and say this. It's the sign of a good objective person that admits when they might have come to a wrong conclusion about something. It's something I try to do. Too bad that many others on here don't follow your lead :)

Last edited:
Reactions: ironwaffle
Just thought I'd post this link to reviews of X-Care on TrustPilot. So proud to see all of the positive experiences! Xcelerate is rated "Great" with 4.2 / 5 on Trustpilot
Well, I'm impressed that you would even come on this site to post. I'm about to get an extended warranty on one of my cars (2017 X) and I have been shopping around. As a side note, I went to your web site and found that getting a quote was very simple by email. Haven't gotten it yet, but it's only been a few minutes.

This was after I went to the site for one of your competitors and they REQUIRED a phone number just to get a quote. As I expected, they called me with HIGH PRESSURE sales tactics and wanted me to sign up on the phone without reviewing anything. I had to tell him at least 3 times I would not sign up on the phone without seeing what is actually covered. He wasn't going to take no for an answer so I finally said "you know, experience has taught me that when there is high pressure to buy, or statements like this deal is only good for a first time call, then there is likely a better solution out there and some issue with your company. As you are not listening to me, I am not going to sign up at all or even review your quote. I'm hanging up now, but thanks for your time."

I'm also pleased to see there are some customers with a good experience buying X-Care. Normally, I NEVER buy extended coverage for anything, but this car is so expensive that I like to reduce my chances of bigger repairs on some items. Even though it has run perfectly for 4 years without an issue, I'm not wanting to press my luck in the next 4 years :)

Thanks for the feedback. I’m considering getting the XCare warranty when my pre owned model x comes in. My main concern for not having an extended warranty is with falcon doors and this being a mobile super computer. My main consideration for not getting one is the unlimited miles until 2026. I could burn through some miles on paper. So splitting down the middle might be straddling the remaining factory warranty + 10 months and say 8500 miles. I wonder if that would extend the life of the warranty miles wise? Apply the 50k warranty after racking up miles not before.I know it would likely increase the cost of the warranty but it might prolong coverage. My only other concern is no power train coverage with XCare. Perhaps it’s pointless or would cost too much per policy? Tesla tells me they can replace cells now so battery should not be a huge issue. Apparatly the power train is mainly two motors. They had no repair estimate for me there. I tend to be a warranty guy and will probably get this at some point. Thanks again for the feedback.
Brent here with XCare. Happy to help whenever you are ready to chat. Send me VIN/miles and miles you drive per year and I'll shoot you some quotes. [email protected] or text 630-849-4233 to set up a call.

Well, I'm impressed that you would even come on this site to post. I'm about to get an extended warranty on one of my cars (2017 X) and I have been shopping around. As a side note, I went to your web site and found that getting a quote was very simple by email. Haven't gotten it yet, but it's only been a few minutes.

This was after I went to the site for one of your competitors and they REQUIRED a phone number just to get a quote. As I expected, they called me with HIGH PRESSURE sales tactics and wanted me to sign up on the phone without reviewing anything. I had to tell him at least 3 times I would not sign up on the phone without seeing what is actually covered. He wasn't going to take no for an answer so I finally said "you know, experience has taught me that when there is high pressure to buy, or statements like this deal is only good for a first time call, then there is likely a better solution out there and some issue with your company. As you are not listening to me, I am not going to sign up at all or even review your quote. I'm hanging up now, but thanks for your time."

I'm also pleased to see there are some customers with a good experience buying X-Care. Normally, I NEVER buy extended coverage for anything, but this car is so expensive that I like to reduce my chances of bigger repairs on some items. Even though it has run perfectly for 4 years without an issue, I'm not wanting to press my luck in the next 4 years :)
Always happy to help, and not an ounce of pressure here.