Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Real life experience with Xcelerate warranty?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I want to share my experience here as an X-care user who just used the warranty for the first time today.
I researched into ext warranty last year when my 2016 S warranty expired. We originally didn't plan to keep it and wanted to trade it in for an X. Then we decided to keep it as second EV. That's when the original warranty expired and we bought the 4 years ext warranty.
Fast foward to this year and about 10K miles later, my headlights went out with the common symptom of dim light and yellowing eyebrows. I know this is something that Tesla will replace under warranty and X-Care will do too.
So I called X-care to let them know in advance and then book the service appointment via the app. Tesla came today and replaced both headlights in 30 minutes. Then I gave them the car to call X-care to settle my bill.
Since he never dealt with X-care before, he has to contact his manager to see how this works. Eventually, they figured this out and my bill is only $100 deductible as expected.

Honestly, I was a little skeptical of whether they will deny everything and let me hold the bag but they come through without issue.
I think the X-care purchase we made would be a good investment as we plan to keep this S for a couple more years.

I want to share my experience here as an X-care user who just used the warranty for the first time today.
I researched into ext warranty last year when my 2016 S warranty expired. We originally didn't plan to keep it and wanted to trade it in for an X. Then we decided to keep it as second EV. That's when the original warranty expired and we bought the 4 years ext warranty.
Fast foward to this year and about 10K miles later, my headlights went out with the common symptom of dim light and yellowing eyebrows. I know this is something that Tesla will replace under warranty and X-Care will do too.
So I called X-care to let them know in advance and then book the service appointment via the app. Tesla came today and replaced both headlights in 30 minutes. Then I gave them the car to call X-care to settle my bill.
Since he never dealt with X-care before, he has to contact his manager to see how this works. Eventually, they figured this out and my bill is only $100 deductible as expected.

Honestly, I was a little skeptical of whether they will deny everything and let me hold the bag but they come through without issue.
I think the X-care purchase we made would be a good investment as we plan to keep this S for a couple more years.
So very pleased to have helped, and for your very kind report. XCare's mission is to support our community, and we're always happy to hear folks have been well taken care of. [email protected]

Reactions: byeLT4 and EL0NTRK
I have been reviewing the items that are not covered by X-care (section 4 of the contract). The list is quite extensive and should be reviewed carefully. I am having trouble finding the value in their coverage after reading so it is likely not a good deal for me.

Brent has been great in answering my questions. Definitely no sales pressure.

I have been reviewing the items that are not covered by X-care (section 4 of the contract). The list is quite extensive and should be reviewed carefully. I am having trouble finding the value in their coverage after reading so it is likely not a good deal for me.

Brent has been great in answering my questions. Definitely no sales pressure.
I have compared this exclusion list with Tesla's extended warranty exclusions. Did you find any major differences?

Reactions: XCare EV
I have been out of warranty for a while. I just rebuilt the rear air shocks due to corrosion around the bottom O Ring. No other issues with the car. I was lucky to have the door handles updated and the MCU replaced before the factory warranty was up. In my case, I have to consider what is left to worry about. In my case the x-care costs between 68 and 95 dollars per month depending on the length of coverage. Brent has said they cover about 27,000 dollars worth of potential repairs. I think it is fantastic that you can get an extended warranty.

so neither Tesla nor anyone else will cover the DU, which is probably the most likely costly item to fail? that's disappointing. Is there anyone out there who will cover the DU under extended warranty? If it ever does fail, it's almost certain at this point that it failed due to abnormal wear brought on by any number of well documented defects in these over the years...

yeah, it's a tough call. my DU+battery warranty ends this dec. my bumper to bumper ends this June. I'm trying to figure out if it's worth getting an extended warranty right now or get a new car, based on the fact that any warranty I get doesn't cover any parts of the drivetrain, which is a pretty big hole.

Reactions: DerbyDave
so neither Tesla nor anyone else will cover the DU, which is probably the most likely costly item to fail? that's disappointing. Is there anyone out there who will cover the DU under extended warranty? If it ever does fail, it's almost certain at this point that it failed due to abnormal wear brought on by any number of well documented defects in these over the years...
Happy to address this. Now that Tesla has been mass producing vehicles for nearly a decade (if you exclude the Roadster) there are more and more used DUs available from vehicles that have been totaled. A quick search of auto salvage yards (especially in larger markets for Tesla like CA/TX/IL/FL) should provide suitable replacements at a fraction of the retail price for a new/reman. unit from Tesla. Gruber Motors also could be a good resource for battery/DU servicing. One of the main problems people have reported is bearing malfunction, and there are lots of indy shops springing up to service/reman these units as well.

Reactions: Deaf Paul
yeah, it's a tough call. my DU+battery warranty ends this dec. my bumper to bumper ends this June. I'm trying to figure out if it's worth getting an extended warranty right now or get a new car, based on the fact that any warranty I get doesn't cover any parts of the drivetrain, which is a pretty big hole.
Agreed. At 8 years, decision is to run without protection for the big items that may not be worth replacing if they fail. If car has been good, most people would think you are fairly depreciated, and take the chance things will go well for years to come. I don't think I could own a Tesla out of all warranty periods -- not a Mercedes, BMW, Audi, Porsche or any car that is expensive to repair. For me, it just seems time to play it safe and get another at that point.

Reactions: byeLT4
Happy to address this. Now that Tesla has been mass producing vehicles for nearly a decade (if you exclude the Roadster) there are more and more used DUs available from vehicles that have been totaled. A quick search of auto salvage yards (especially in larger markets for Tesla like CA/TX/IL/FL) should provide suitable replacements at a fraction of the retail price for a new/reman. unit from Tesla. Gruber Motors also could be a good resource for battery/DU servicing. One of the main problems people have reported is bearing malfunction, and there are lots of indy shops springing up to service/reman these units as well.
interesting point. may be possible to replace DUs for cheap, potentially solving that problem and leaving just the battery as the big main problematic failure. Very slowly some external sources for battery repair are growing too, but you have to be willing to ship your car :/
one vote for keeping car

Agreed. At 8 years, decision is to run without protection for the big items that may not be worth replacing if they fail. If car has been good, most people would think you are fairly depreciated, and take the chance things will go well for years to come. I don't think I could own a Tesla out of all warranty periods -- not a Mercedes, BMW, Audi, Porsche or any car that is expensive to repair. For me, it just seems time to play it safe and get another at that point.
also good point. there's all the hassle of trying to source parts and just one bad item not within a warranty can cost almost what the car is worth at this point. that's a vote for replacing the car

Thanks for the feedback. I’m considering getting the XCare warranty when my pre owned model x comes in. My main concern for not having an extended warranty is with falcon doors and this being a mobile super computer. My main consideration for not getting one is the unlimited miles until 2026. I could burn through some miles on paper. So splitting down the middle might be straddling the remaining factory warranty + 10 months and say 8500 miles. I wonder if that would extend the life of the warranty miles wise? Apply the 50k warranty after racking up miles not before.I know it would likely increase the cost of the warranty but it might prolong coverage. My only other concern is no power train coverage with XCare. Perhaps it’s pointless or would cost too much per policy? Tesla tells me they can replace cells now so battery should not be a huge issue. Apparatly the power train is mainly two motors. They had no repair estimate for me there. I tend to be a warranty guy and will probably get this at some point. Thanks again for the feedback.
So glad to help you with your XCare membership this month! So glad we got you in prior to 50k miles, for the best pricing!!!

Here's what I like to call NEW MATH

If you purchase an 8 year/100k miles warranty at new vehicle purchase time for your Model 3/Y, the price is $2797. If you purchase a 4 year/50k miles warranty at the end of your factory warranty, the cost (at today's pricing) is $3563.

Even if you get to the end of your factory warranty and decide to move on to another car, you can transfer the warranty to a private buyer for a $50 transfer fee, charge them $3000 for the warranty (saving them $563) and make $153 for yourself, or ride out your XCare warranty for a net savings of $766 over the 4/50 warranty.

This is truly the definition of a no lose situation, and the savings for X and S are even higher.

If you are planning a long relationship with your Model S/3/X/Y, a little planning goes a long way!

Happy to serve our community, hit me up for a no hassle intro and quote: [email protected] www.xcelerateauto.com/x-care and scroll down to the calculator for quote examples (more available when you inquire). Cheers! Brent

Reactions: byeLT4 and gbailey
Sorry for the necro-thread resurrection - I am also sniffing around for an aftermarket warranty just to give myself some options. I don't have a Tesla yet, but most likely will end up with one past its warranty (both basic and powertrain) just to stay within budget, but I don't like the fact that some of these "dealers" just automatically tack their plans on for an extra $4,000 without so much as a 'by-your-leave'... so I'd like some other options. They make it sound mandatory, I suspect that's where they make most of their money.

What about that Car Shield? Anyone have dealings there? I had a home warranty that was called Home Shield, I don't know if they are related entities, but it was pretty good and definitely paid for itself.

If the X-care guy cares to chime back in - do you provide warranties that cover pretty much everything? Or is it similar to the "exclusionary" one offered by the dealer, which carefully excludes all of the things you might really want covered? I'll head over to the website and see what info is there...

Reactions: ironwaffle