Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Real life experience with Xcelerate warranty?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
What if I sell my car that has XCare...what are my options?
You have 2 options;
1.) XCare is transferrable to any new owner for a $50 fee, which can be paid by either party. Most of our members who sell their vehicles privately, transfer the warranty to the new owner. In almost every situation, the XCare member was able to sell their vehicle for more with the warranty. Someone trying to buy a Used EV would much rather buy a car that is covered, versus one that is not.
2.) If you trade your vehicle into a dealer, then you can request a cancellation for a pro-rated refund. We will issue you a refund for the un-used portion of the warranty.
In almost every case, an XCare member is better off selling their vehicle with XCare versus getting pro-rated refund, they usually come out with more money in the vehicle’s resale value.
When I have an issue with my vehicle, where do I take it?
How are repair claims paid?
Can I cancel my warranty at any time?
Of course, you can cancel at any point. If you totaled your vehicle, sold it, donated it, or simply no longer want to the coverage any longer, you can always cancel for a pro-rata refund. We will issue you a refund for the un-used portion of the warranty. If you sell the vehicle, we highly recommend looking at transferring it as part of the sale to increase your overall value.

Contact Us​

Just finished using our XCare for the first time and what an exceptional process! From the time I called to approval was ~3 hours. They asked a few simple questions and done! After the deductible, the repairs for the left and center active aero and ducting was ~$1200.

To the XCare team, thank you! You have a great process in place that is proactive and responsive.

@DerbyDave take it to Teslas Service Center. Get their estimate for repairs, call/e-mail XCare, they will approve/deny and notify you. Tesla makes repairs and is more often than not paid directly by XCare, leaving you to pay the deductible when you pick up the vehicle. If XCare doesn’t pay directly, then you front the funds and XCare will refund you, assuming the repairs were approved. My experience this week was great and I’d recommend XCare to any Tesla Owner.

Just finished using our XCare for the first time and what an exceptional process! From the time I called to approval was ~3 hours. They asked a few simple questions and done! After the deductible, the repairs for the left and center active aero and ducting was ~$1200.

To the XCare team, thank you! You have a great process in place that is proactive and responsive.

@DerbyDave take it to Teslas Service Center. Get their estimate for repairs, call/e-mail XCare, they will approve/deny and notify you. Tesla makes repairs and is more often than not paid directly by XCare, leaving you to pay the deductible when you pick up the vehicle. If XCare doesn’t pay directly, then you front the funds and XCare will refund you, assuming the repairs were approved. My experience this week was great and I’d recommend XCare to any Tesla Owner.
I was responding to @arc_nwr on canceling the contract and how the refund is computed. He sold his car. Most people would probably want to buy the remaining term on the X-Care warranty and transfer coverage. This coverage can really increase the resale value of the car.

So glad we could help! We're here for OUR community, we all drive Teslas and we know these cars very well. Have a great 2023!

Brent, I definitely want to add drive train and battery coverage to my existing extended warranty on my 2017 S but how does that work if you are only going back 5 years but I still have 3 years on my Tesla drivetrain and battery warranty?
Sorry for the late reply, must have missed this one! We will be releasing our battery/drive unit coverage in late Q1 of this year in most markets. We will be covering EVs build on or after 2016 (big change!) and like classic XCare the coverage goes forward from the date of purchase, and remaining factory warranty is baked into the pricing. For example, if you have 3 years remaining Tesla Battery/Drive Unit coverage, an 8 year policy is basically a 5 year extension.

Stay tuned!

Reactions: malken00 and GeoG
Sorry for the late reply, must have missed this one! We will be releasing our battery/drive unit coverage in late Q1 of this year in most markets. We will be covering EVs build on or after 2016 (big change!) and like classic XCare the coverage goes forward from the date of purchase, and remaining factory warranty is baked into the pricing. For example, if you have 3 years remaining Tesla Battery/Drive Unit coverage, an 8 year policy is basically a 5 year extension.

Stay tuned!

Interesting; can you provide some more information please?? Dates? Details of coverage? Will XCare require additional monitoring hardware??

All the final details are still being hashed out, but we will release Battery and Drive Unit as a stand alone option with a $500 deductible. Full replacement coverage will be provided. Battery charge to at least 70% same as Tesla battery warranty. Options for newer vehicles (2016 and newer) to get package coverage (XCare and Battery and Drive Unit) for bundled price for new policies. All other details will be coming soon. If you'd like to be one of the first with details submit this form and we'll put you on the alert list. XCare Battery + Drive Unit Wait List Cheers! Brent

Stay tuned!
Wow. Your response times to emails are definitely quick.

Reactions: malken00
All the final details are still being hashed out, but we will release Battery and Drive Unit as a stand alone option with a $500 deductible. Full replacement coverage will be provided. Battery charge to at least 70% same as Tesla battery warranty. Options for newer vehicles (2016 and newer) to get package coverage (XCare and Battery and Drive Unit) for bundled price for new policies. All other details will be coming soon. If you'd like to be one of the first with details submit this form and we'll put you on the alert list. XCare Battery + Drive Unit Wait List Cheers! Brent
Will there be discount similar to the bundled price if we already have the standard xcare warranty?

Reactions: Noahweb and Daveb25
Hi TMC community, just a quick update on XCare! We are still scheduled to release our XCare Premium (with battery and drive unit coverage) at the end of March 2023 for all vehicles 2016 and newer and with less than 100,000 miles at the time of purchase. As a result, rates on qualifying vehicles will raise as a result of the increased coverage, and vehicles that do not qualify will also see a slight rise in cost. What this means for people considering coverage is the following: If your vehicle age plus the coverage selected does not exceed 8 total years (2019 getting a 4 year/50k warranty is an example, as the coverage would not go past the 8 year Tesla battery/drive unit warranty) then it may be wise to purchase before the coverage change, to avoid a price rise. If you have a 2015 or older, you should also consider purchasing soon. Lastly, for those who are content to cover the current equipment without battery and drive unit coverage (very light miles users or those who simply don't see the value in paying extra for these components to be covered) it may also be worth considering purchasing now.

If you are a heavy miles user (20k miles/year or more) then battery and drive unit coverage is likely more important, as these components will be covered up to 250k miles.

If you would like to be informed when XCare Premium releases, please fill out the link below and we'll hit you up the day it drops.

Greetings TMC! XCare has recently celebrated a milestone with over $1 Million in paid claims, with over 90% paid directly to Tesla! Why do we celebrate paying that many claims? Because behind every claim is an XCare member who avoided the stress, the financial hardship and the uncertainty involved when something goes wrong with their Tesla!

Since 2019, XCare has been providing world class coverage for our EV community, and we want to thank all of our members on Tesla Motors Club Forum who have trusted us to help them sleep well at night, knowing their car is under our protection. With over $1M in paid claims we are repaying that trust...every day.

XCare. First, and still the best. www.xcelerateauto.com/xcare for a free online quote.

Last edited:
Any update on when the battery/drive unit warranty will be available?
We should release the coverage shortly. We are awaiting final approval now from the individual states. All details on our side are complete.

If you currently have a vehicle that is outside of factory warranty coverage, you can purchase XCare now and add Battery and Drive motor coverage a la carte later. Model year 2016 Teslas will qualify for the additional coverage add on until December 31, 2023. This will likely be a more expensive option than purchasing XCare Premium, but one service issue while waiting for the release could easily erase the difference in pricing. If you'd like to talk through your particular scenario, email me at [email protected]