Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Real Life Experience with Xpel?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I drive about 100 miles in my new MS every day and want to protect it from rock chips etc on the freeway. I see that many owners have Xpel applied on their cars. Before I plunk down the serious $ needed to wrap my car, I would love some insight on pros and cons, life of the product before degradation, looks etc. Any and all feedback welcome.
Thanks in advance!

I had mine done 3 days after I picked it up. Wrapped the entire care in Xpel and have had it for about a week now. Due to all the other comments about self healing and protection if offers the paint I trust it enough to protect against scratches.

It's been raining for a few days now and there are water marks on the xpel wrap. I plan on coating the wrap, wheels, and chrome trim with optimum and then opti-glass for all glass surfaces.

aatMaJ4.jpg

Attachments

• unnamed.jpg
    unnamed.jpg
    75.9 KB · Views: 61
Reactions: joebiker25
Like you, I also drive 100 miles daily (95% freeway). I plan on keeping the MS for at least 8 years, and hopefully longer, so went with the Xpel in hopes of keeping the car looking good for years to come. 23,000 miles into the journey, I am very happy with the product. It has saved me from one door ding and one shredded tire (both left stubborn marks on the film which I was able to buff out with zero damage to the underneath paint). No discoloration that I can see, 14 months in.

One other big benefit: I had Opticoat applied over the Xpel and it makes car care ridiculously easy and worry free. You can go to town on the Xpel with a microfiber towel and not worry about swirls or scratches when scrubbing.

My entire car is wrapped but one could argue to have just the front end done. Wrapping the doors gives you some protection against dings though. There may also be some very slight color difference in a wrapped panel vs one that is not wrapped, particularly in bright sunlight.

With regard to the front end, I have picked up a handful of tiny scuffs and pits in the Xpel. Some are on the frunk lid (or hood, if you prefer) but most are on the bumper. None of the scuffs and pits have made it into the paint, but you can see and feel them when looking closely, and some are discolored as well. The question then becomes, when do you care enough about the appearance to pay for a replacement layer of Xpel? It has done its job well but it will look beat up eventually. I will probably have mine replaced around the 2 year mark, but not yet sure.

Hope that helps.

We have wrapped a lot of TMS's completely with Xpel and everyone's feedback has been that they are super happy. But as a heads up, your #1 factor in being satisfied or not will be the installer. If you are going the full body wrap route, it's pretty important to interview a number of installers to be sure you are getting the right one for your needs. A great installer can use inferior film and the owner be super happy for the life of the film. A bad installer with incredible film will leave an owner unhappy from day one.

We have wrapped a lot of TMS's completely with Xpel and everyone's feedback has been that they are super happy. But as a heads up, your #1 factor in being satisfied or not will be the installer. If you are going the full body wrap route, it's pretty important to interview a number of installers to be sure you are getting the right one for your needs. A great installer can use inferior film and the owner be super happy for the life of the film. A bad installer with incredible film will leave an owner unhappy from day one.
Thanks. I am sold on the Xpel for the front and back but still iffy on the Opti-Coat pro for the rest of the car. Thoughts on cost/benefits?

Thanks. I am sold on the Xpel for the front and back but still iffy on the Opti-Coat pro for the rest of the car. Thoughts on cost/benefits?

I just finished applying cquartz to the entirety of the car and coated all glass surfaces with opti-glass. I am pretty happy with the outcome and for less than $200 and about 8 hours of my time I am pretty happy with the beading of the water on the car. We'll see how long it lasts though. Apparently the cquartz is supposed to last 2+ years even in a harsh Minnesota environment,

I did a full body wrap of my silver metallic MS with Xpel stealth a few weeks ago. I wish I would have gotten it a month earlier... the new front fascia is a magnet for rocks and other road debris. The shop I took it to is fantastic. Proven Automotive Concepts - Timeline | Facebook
Awesome!
I would love to see pics of your MS as I haven't seen too many silver refresh MS pics.
Thanks!

I just finished applying cquartz to the entirety of the car and coated all glass surfaces with opti-glass. I am pretty happy with the outcome and for less than $200 and about 8 hours of my time I am pretty happy with the beading of the water on the car. We'll see how long it lasts though. Apparently the cquartz is supposed to last 2+ years even in a harsh Minnesota environment,
Were you able to buy the product as a consumer?

Originally took delivery of my '13 S P85+ with Tesla's own Paint Armor (a plastic wrap).

Unhappy with their Paint Armor, had it stripped off -- bubbles, inadequate coverage. (Tesla subsequently stopped offering Paint Armor a few months later, and it has never returned.)

Full paint correction plus OptiCoat plus OptiGlass.

THEN wrapped front and sides in Xpel.

Discovered that I can't be trusted with such a nice thing. Wound up with a significant scratch on my rear bumper. That cost a week for the car to stay at Hollis Auto Body in Massachusetts, plus $1700. Remember: it's an aluminum body. More expensive to repair than steel.

THEN wrapped the rest of the car in Xpel.

My not-very-scientific calculation is that I've saved another ~$8K-$10K in body work from subsequent scrapes, bumps, dings, etc. Instead, I've spent a few hundred dollars peeling and replacing pieces of Xpel.

Keep in mind that Xpel will NOT save you from sufficiently energetic interactions with other matter. A big enough impact will leave a real dent in your car that Xpel can't save you from. A deep enough scratch, etc.

Perhaps another way to put this: I'm looking at replacing my '13 P85+ with a '16 P100DL. When I do, I will definitely wrap the whole darned car in Xpel. Not quite as sure whether I'll bother with OptiProducts again -- while I have no complaint about them, neither am I sure I really need them.

Alan

Were you able to buy the product as a consumer?

Yes, I got both items off of Amazon.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005DZJ7VA/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00GULM1U0/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Again the Cquartz is supposed to last like 2 years before needing reapplication, and the optiglass says 6 months before reapplciation, but there are some people that say they're going on 1.5 years without reapplication and the water still beads up on the glass.

Another alternative to the optiglass is rainx or aquapel. I don't like rainx because it leaves streaks in the glass no matter how I apply it (maybe I'm just bad at using rainx) it also eats through my windshield wipers, and I've never used aquapel, but I've heard good things.

Just as a heads up for those who may not know this. Xpel is a brand of the technology, which is formally named 'paint protection film' (AKA: clear bra, clear film, etc.).

I would urge you to also consider ClearGuard Nano by Prestige Film Technologies. Prestige is a Japanese company and their film, CGN, has incredible clarity, a 10-year warranty and a thickness of 8.2 mils. They also happen to be the creators and manufacturers of what is highly regarded as the best tint on the market(and very popular among Tesla owners); Photosync. Learn more about the company here: ClearGuard Nano SR™ | Prestige

Dealers can be located here:
Dealer Locator | Prestige

I am happy to answer any questions about CGN that you may have.