Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Real life range figures?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi,

I see a handful of discussions about range and how bad the estimates are, I wanted to know what are people getting in real life? Trying to disregard ideal conditions like temperature etc

Its my first trip taking a long trip from the norm. Charged at home to 100% for the first time. The range showed 378km before leaving to Bathurst. 198km later i remain with 72km range left or 20%, and the first time seeing the battery indicator in Orange. A short fall difference of 100km approx. Outside Temp was mid to high 20's. Just sweating to the next stop dubbo if we make 2 stops on the way.

So

2015 Model S P85D 378km rated 80% usage = 188km

Or something not sound normal?

I live in Bathurst and Drive to Dubbo now and then. It depends on how far off track the stops are but I have no problem in P85D making the distance Bathurst to Dubbo. The trip planner on the Tesla is very accurate for me. If it is looking like it's going to get marginal and not so good for the battery(for me less than 10%)(usually I stay between 20% and 80%), I just slow down a bit till I get 10% left at my destination. Best thing I did was get the CC2 upgrade so I can charge at Orange if I want a detour.

Well based on TeslaFi's Leaderboard for a Model S P85D and removing the random data the average you should get is 345.95km.

and the first time seeing the battery indicator in Orange.
Oh My! I see that at least once a week, if not more. I see red every couple of months if I push it a little more :)

screencapture-teslafi-top-php-2020-12-29-18_22_40.png

I'm not going that far off track. About 15km on the way to Dubbo only.

CCS2 upgrade got delayed as I got too busy to get to Alexandria service for them to upgrade.

Ill check out teslafi. Ive used it a little bit and have been logging for nearly a year but the way this drive was in lucky to make it to 250km mark not near 340 hence Why I asked real life values.

The NEDC range is difficult to achieve, but can be done.
The Tank range is fairly easy to achieve by moderating the speed slightly.
But I find the Projected range very accurate, and only use this for long trips. I just drive to ensure I have a 10 kms buffer (or more if necessary for your personal comfort) between this range and the distance to go. Maybe reduce those 10kms a bit to avoid stale electrons when getting close to the destination.

Caveats - make sure there are no elevation rises and no adverse wind changes are forecast near the destination, and that the destination charger is actually working ( ABC3 - Always Browse Comments (on Plugshare)).

Hi,

I see a handful of discussions about range and how bad the estimates are, I wanted to know what are people getting in real life? Trying to disregard ideal conditions like temperature etc

Its my first trip taking a long trip from the norm. Charged at home to 100% for the first time. The range showed 378km before leaving to Bathurst. 198km later i remain with 72km range left or 20%, and the first time seeing the battery indicator in Orange. A short fall difference of 100km approx. Outside Temp was mid to high 20's. Just sweating to the next stop dubbo if we make 2 stops on the way.

So

2015 Model S P85D 378km rated 80% usage = 188km

Or something not sound normal?

Do you have 19 or 21 inch tyres? 21 inch consume 10% more energy on a P85D. Have you got the car set to rated or typical range? typical is lower and more accurate. Keep in mind you have just driven a journey with increased elevation, that will consume energy faster.

Last edited:
I have 19" wheels

My first longish trip was my place to Wollongong 138km each way went from 90% to 25%. This seemed ok. I tried ABRP and it tried to for me to the broadway charger saying I won't make it home!. In like abrp as it can add waypoints, is this possible with the tesla trip planner?

I have it on rated, and will charge to typical tomorrow before heading back to the supercharger. Other annoying thing i noted is the supercharger charge at around 50 to 55kw. Only car there and all other stalls are empty. I. Sure it used to charge quicker before.

I have 19" wheels

My first longish trip was my place to Wollongong 138km each way went from 90% to 25%. This seemed ok. I tried ABRP and it tried to for me to the broadway charger saying I won't make it home!. In like abrp as it can add waypoints, is this possible with the tesla trip planner?

I have it on rated, and will charge to typical tomorrow before heading back to the supercharger. Other annoying thing i noted is the supercharger charge at around 50 to 55kw. Only car there and all other stalls are empty. I. Sure it used to charge quicker before.

Typical range will show a lower kms remaining compared to rated but is much more realistic and achievable. I don't bother with the Tesla trip planner or ABRP, I just check the distance of each drive and add 30kms more range than needed taking in to account climbs or descents, that way if it rains heavy or you get a sudden negative change in wind direction you'll have some back up energy. Early Tesla cars had there supercharging restricted 18 months ago, it adds an extra 5 minutes to charge sessions but is no big deal if you only supercharge every few weeks, supercharge between 10% and 70% for best speeds.
A couple of handy tips for long drives are:
Dont let those 19 inch tyres go below 45psi cold.
Pre cool the car while still charging so once you set off on a long trip the aircon will be just ticking over even on a hot day.
Drive off as soon as charging completes on a cool morning, a warmer battery is more efficient.

By the way, I have a 2015 P85D, it's the best vehicle Tesla have made to date.

Thanks,

I was never expecting the 378km but maybe 10 or 15% less.... not quite 250 or so until empty.

I've only had the car for a year and a few months ago I went for my first trial drive to tuggerah supercharger, in which I went into the first shop being reject shop where I already recieved a message saying charging was nearly complete. I didn't even get to bathroom or a lunch break and I swear charging was closer to 100kw at the time.
Anyway let's see what happens

I feel my trip this time around seemed much more energy efficient than my last trip.

I switched to typical range, took it to the bathurst supercharger which took about 2 hours to 95% from about 35%. Started 45kw, slowed down to 23kw for a while and down to 6 as it got to the 90s

Typical showed 467km range, did 230km to dubbo with a few stop offs and says now have about 170km left (36%). Less elevation than through the blue mountains to Bathurst i suppose where battery went into the orange at a much shorter distance.

Tyres were 44psi cold.

Thanks all for the comments.

My 90D (2016, about 70000km on odo) shows 420-ish km on the dash when charged to 100%. This is an EPA number, it corresponds to 190Wh/km, which is pretty close to the truth around the burbs. Freeway driving, unless there's a big change in elevation, usually gets me 160Wh/km with AP or CC on the whole time. Caveat: I've never dropped below about 60km remaining, so not sure what the white-knuckle zone behaves like.

The EPA numbers are pretty believable, WLTP less so, and NEDC as we know stands for "not even damn close". I think the best way to estimate range is to look at what other people are getting in terms of Wh/km for your model, and leave a fudge factor for rain etc. if doing a long leg. Ideally there are enough chargers to be able to reach the next one if one is down, but this isn't the case everywhere (yet)

I find my Model 3 LR battery range indicator to be pessimistic with AC off and optimistic with AC on (both by 10-20% max), so I guess on average it’s spot on :D. My lifetime average is 146 Wh/km so for a 75 kW battery that implies a range of 514 km versus the 500 the battery indicator shows when fully charged.

I’m super impressed by the extent to which the DCFC network in NSW has expanded over the past 12 months from NRMA, Chargefox and Evie. So many CCS2 chargers around now and no longer need to plan around Tesla Superchargers. For Model 3, it completely eliminates range anxiety in my view.

I find on road trips the % remaining is pretty accurate when I put the destination in nav. Almost always I get 1-2% higher battery remaining than what was estimated. In my S 100D I usually get around 500km from a full charge when driving at 100-110km/h

I agree on the non-Tesla chargers. Use the Evie one at Taree recently and was great, as I could grab a bite to eat/use the bathroom and then I was ready to head off. The supercharger at Cassegrain Winery is just a bit a pain, especially when heading north (no food or bathroom, particularly outside winery hours)

I'm deciding on my trip plans tomorrow. Dubbo to Bathurst, (198km) was trying via Mudgee (255km) but looks like its cutting it close. Again can't use waypoints on in built navigation. ABRP predicts 10% on arrival from 100%

My first post i got wrong..... Rated said about 477km, typical about 370km or so. I am on average between 190 and 230w/km at various times.

Was just scary from springwood to Bathurst and a bit of drive around the town 188km total dropping from 100% to 20% and seeing the battery in the orange. Kept at or below speed limits all the way. This was my biggest concern

I'm deciding on my trip plans tomorrow. Dubbo to Bathurst, (198km) was trying via Mudgee (255km) but looks like its cutting it close. Again can't use waypoints on in built navigation. ABRP predicts 10% on arrival from 100%

There's an NRMA charger in Mudgee if you decide to go that way and it looks like you're cutting it fine by that point in the journey.

Unfortunately I don't have ccs2 upgrade yet. Had to cancel before the trip. I did see thier info centre had a destination charger which we could stick around for a bit if usage is looking worse

Still I think pushing 200km with 80%+ battery usage could be better.

When you get the CCS2 upgrade do a local check on NRMA chargers before you head off. When mine was installed I could charge at Chargefox 350kW (and subsequently evie 350kW) but I kept getting errors when attempting to charge on the NRMA network. Took it back to Tesla service who said it was all fine but they were aware of some comms issues with some chargers, which they expected would be fixed with a s/w update. I haven't tried out the NRMA chargers for while, so not sure if it has been fixed. Some other owners have also experienced this, but strangely a lot of others with the upgrade haven't.