Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Real lift gate height sensor

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Is there a way to disable the height sensor for the rear lift gate, and only the rear lift gate? When I have my X in the garage it always stops at a low height even though I have manually pushed it all the way up and held the button until it beeps for new set height. The lift gate could never hit my overhead door so I would like to disable this.
The falcon wings are a different story. I do NOT want to disable height sensor on these. I only want to disable it on the lift gate.
I was hoping after I manually set the height it would ask me on the MCU if I wanted to save this height at this location but no such message and I can’t find anywhere on the MCU where to disable it. Or if it’s even possible.
Your help is appreciated.

Is there a way to disable the height sensor for the rear lift gate, and only the rear lift gate? When I have my X in the garage it always stops at a low height even though I have manually pushed it all the way up and held the button until it beeps for new set height. The lift gate could never hit my overhead door so I would like to disable this.
The falcon wings are a different story. I do NOT want to disable height sensor on these. I only want to disable it on the lift gate.
I was hoping after I manually set the height it would ask me on the MCU if I wanted to save this height at this location but no such message and I can’t find anywhere on the MCU where to disable it. Or if it’s even possible.
Your help is appreciated.
The manual says to confirm the new setting by opening and closing the trunk after setting it. No idea if this just for your own use to see if it’s right or actually does something. I’ve set mine higher and lower and it seems to work.

Open it, raise it all the way, hold the button until it beeps, use the button to close it and then open it with the app or from inside and see what happens.

There is no way to disable the sensor that I’m aware of and no way to clear locations (like the suspension height setting).

Hi Jillmark99,

Oh what a mess...

I read here somewhere and I believe it to be true that the car measures the opening your car passes through...
This is usually LOWER than where you park your car.
My car March 2018 MCU2 - will go through all of the motions:
"Raise to new height - Hold the up button for long beep" all works fine
EXCEPT the car will still only raise to the measured dimension it passed through...

When leaving and the geofence has been passed the lift gate should return to normal height...

I will see if the Ranger can look at it Thursday as he will be here for Model S airbag recall...

Shawn

Mine opens to the same low position OUTSIDE the garage. But only in that location.
I've not enabled or saved any location based setting and surprised it automatically assumes I'm in the garage when I'm not in the garage.

Hi Jillmark99,

I did some experimenting on my own.
Away from my garage 50 feet or 2 miles the liftgate opens to FULL open.
Once I pass through the garage door - height 90" - The liftgate sets itself to 80"
It must use this 10" as the acceptable height not to hit the garage door.

According to the Users Manual: Position the door by hand and hold the button to "reset" the limit,
I get the long tone - When I close it and open again it is still only 80" open...
It's the "you have passed through a lower doorway memory" that will not allow a higher setting
until you have moved a distance away...

I wish I could set mine higher too, I am always bumping my head on the liftgate in the garage.

Shawn

Hi Jillmark99,

Oh what a mess...

I read here somewhere and I believe it to be true that the car measures the opening your car passes through...
This is usually LOWER than where you park your car.
My car March 2018 MCU2 - will go through all of the motions:
"Raise to new height - Hold the up button for long beep" all works fine
EXCEPT the car will still only raise to the measured dimension it passed through...

When leaving and the geofence has been passed the lift gate should return to normal height...

I will see if the Ranger can look at it Thursday as he will be here for Model S airbag recall...

Shawn
I think you'll be told it's normal. GPS isn't THAT precise, and the "Always open fully" settings for the FWD clearly reflect this in the wide space in which it applies once set. I suspect that the vehicle knows where your garage is and applies the limit due to a similar broad location restraint that regardless of whether or not you've driven through the opening. Also, here's a for instance for you regarding GPS precision: I was parked and sitting in my X in a parking lot in the morning a couple weekends ago. I turned on the phone app and went to the smart summon section. I switched to the satellite view. The blue dot showed me sitting where the driver seat would have been, but one parking space to the left. The red arrow showed my X parked as it would have been, but one space to the right. IOW, they were both off by about the same distance in opposite directions.