Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Real Matte Carbon Fiber Dash

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
RPM is a great company. In fact, when I posted about my install, they commented asking if it was their product, and tossed a shameless plug in as well (nicely done RPM, LOL).

View attachment 782790

That being said, they ARE NOT the "the only company offering a real OEM dashboard replacement". Perhaps thats an older statement on their site, but its BS now. Heres one right here for example. Just fact checking them. They should update the site there.

Is it really thin? The one I got from Greer on Aliexpress isnt at all. Still, RPM's looks good! (pics below)

In the end, if someone is local to RPM, they are the best bet. If one is not, $700+ and needing to send a core back? Hard pass. The core is under $200 bucks new. They can get cores from Tesla and still make tons of money, especially if they are "the only ones offering full replacement dashs". WOMP! LOL.
LOL I noticed that too on ended up purchasing one from Fusion about a couple of months ago

Reactions: JaeTheDev
LOL I noticed that too on ended up purchasing one from Fusion about a couple of months ago

I was contacted by another supplier the other day. Ill share here as the price is AMAZING! Under $350 USA shipped for the dash!

I was contacted by another supplier the other day. Ill share here as the price is AMAZING! Under $350 USA shipped for the dash!

Doesn't seem to say free shipping, though I didn't add it to a cart.

This looks better than those hanshowe things:

My Y keeps getting delayed, now "maybe" May 15 - June 15. Issue is, I have no idea if any of the prefab'd dash's will fit whatever Y I end up getting (doubt it will be Austin...but I guess...who knows and if so is the gigapress version different at all from the others).

Hopefully these things remain available and on a sale (CAD$539 at the second supplier link).

My Y keeps getting delayed, now "maybe" May 15 - June 15. Issue is, I have no idea if any of the prefab'd dash's will fit whatever Y I end up getting (doubt it will be Austin...but I guess...who knows and if so is the gigapress version different at all from the others).

Hopefully these things remain available and on a sale (CAD$539 at the second supplier link).

I get that concern for sure. Tesla did change the dash piece at one point prior too. Late 2020ish, Tesla went with a single piece. The prior had two end caps as you most likely are aware of. I doubt they change it too much, if any coming... but then again... Tesla... LOL. Im with ya.

I get that concern for sure. Tesla did change the dash piece at one point prior too. Late 2020ish, Tesla went with a single piece. The prior had two end caps as you most likely are aware of. I doubt they change it too much, if any coming... but then again... Tesla... LOL. Im with ya.

So should be getting my dash and wheel hopefully later this week. Just confirming a couple things:

1. For the dash, to take out the existing ones you need to knock out the caps from inside? I.e., place the blunt object into the upper dash and push/pop out the caps vs pulling on them with a plastic thing-a-ma-bobber?

2. On the steering wheel, believe it's a 10mm hex head. The manual seems to state the nut holding it in place is a "one time use" item, is that because of potentially stripping?

3. You've never completely powered off the vehicle (by removing the leads to the battery)? Just via the option in the user interface?

Thx!

So should be getting my dash and wheel hopefully later this week. Just confirming a couple things:

1. For the dash, to take out the existing ones you need to knock out the caps from inside? I.e., place the blunt object into the upper dash and push/pop out the caps vs pulling on them with a plastic thing-a-ma-bobber?

2. On the steering wheel, believe it's a 10mm hex head. The manual seems to state the nut holding it in place is a "one time use" item, is that because of potentially stripping?

3. You've never completely powered off the vehicle (by removing the leads to the battery)? Just via the option in the user interface?

Thx!

Hello! Heres some answers from my own personal experience.

1. You can find a million YT vids on this. If you have the dash with the caps, you'll be knocking them OUT, not IN, as in the force is to to towards the outside of the vehicle, not knocking them INTO the vehicle. Hope that makes sense.

2. I replaced the wheel on three separate Teslas. Its not a one time use bolt. Youre fine reusing it.

3. I never pull the 12v or the under the rear seat power switch. I only power off the vehicle from the screen. Should one do the steps to fully power off? Probably. Have I been fine with the 100+ times I have changed a wheel not doing so? 100%.

4. Add a new "airbag" to my vehicle this past weekend. 100% OEM which has been reupholstered with white leather. It still has the "worm" to allow the blowout of the bag. I went with white, with black stitching and matte black T. I wanted to contrast the white interior with something, while keeping it in line with the darker aspect of the dash, black leather wheel, etc. I think it came out good!

Whats your thoughts?

IMG_2367.jpeg

Hello! Heres some answers from my own personal experience.

1. You can find a million YT vids on this. If you have the dash with the caps, you'll be knocking them OUT, not IN, as in the force is to to towards the outside of the vehicle, not knocking them INTO the vehicle. Hope that makes sense.

2. I replaced the wheel on three separate Teslas. Its not a one time use bolt. Youre fine reusing it.

3. I never pull the 12v or the under the rear seat power switch. I only power off the vehicle from the screen. Should one do the steps to fully power off? Probably. Have I been fine with the 100+ times I have changed a wheel not doing so? 100%.

4. Add a new "airbag" to my vehicle this past weekend. 100% OEM which has been reupholstered with white leather. It still has the "worm" to allow the blowout of the bag. I went with white, with black stitching and matte black T. I wanted to contrast the white interior with something, while keeping it in line with the darker aspect of the dash, black leather wheel, etc. I think it came out good!

Whats your thoughts?

View attachment 810967

My thoughts are you're one crazy SOB...but love the look! Had to cut the existing one off?

• Funny
Reactions: JaeTheDev
My thoughts are you're one crazy SOB...but love the look! Had to cut the existing one off?

Ive been told that before. LOL! I had another brand-new airbag, so yea, I cut off the cover that came with it and replaced. Its an OEM cover, so its plug and play. Again, has the "worm" too when checking the underside, so its good to go in case of a wreck. What is not good is those vinyl stickers people place at times. Creating another barrier is not a good thing.

Ive been told that before. LOL! I had another brand-new airbag, so yea, I cut off the cover that came with it and replaced. Its an OEM cover, so its plug and play. Again, has the "worm" too when checking the underside, so its good to go in case of a wreck. What is not good is those vinyl stickers people place at times. Creating another barrier is not a good thing.
Vinyl stickers people place where? What do you mean? By the way, that steering wheel looks great!

I got the Aroham one this week and price and fitment was great and communication before ordering was fine too, now that I have it , the carbon fiber weave is wavey, there are scratches on the matte finish so it’s impossible to fix without respray , and there is one spot that looks like a finger print inside the clear.

Contacted them about it, first they said $15 refund, then they said it’s hand made so that’s how it is. I asked for a partial refund for the issues , and now they ghosted me… from 5 feet away looks ok but the scratches and the wavy weave … I would pass on these.

The side inserts I have from RPM or whoever their supplier is has a much better weave and finish

Too bad too I really hope this would be a great product but the carbon fiber weave is terrible. Scratches that I can see on the driver side in front of the steering wheel, blotchy matte finish, and that one finger print or dust spot inside the clear and if you look closely there are these lines every 4 inches all the way down

I got the Aroham one this week and price and fitment was great and communication before ordering was fine too, now that I have it , the carbon fiber weave is wavey, there are scratches on the matte finish so it’s impossible to fix without respray , and there is one spot that looks like a finger print inside the clear.

Contacted them about it, first they said $15 refund, then they said it’s hand made so that’s how it is. I asked for a partial refund for the issues , and now they ghosted me… from 5 feet away looks ok but the scratches and the wavy weave … I would pass on these.

The side inserts I have from RPM or whoever their supplier is has a much better weave and finish

Too bad too I really hope this would be a great product but the carbon fiber weave is terrible. Scratches that I can see on the driver side in front of the steering wheel, blotchy matte finish, and that one finger print or dust spot inside the clear and if you look closely there are these lines every 4 inches all the way down
Well, that's concerning. Should be receiving mine early next week, along with a steering wheel.

Damn. That stinks! I have a bunch of Aroham stuff, on three separate Teslas over the years and never had anything happen on my end like that. I actually have a dash from them in one of my Y's now. Its perfect.

I believe RPM does their own stuff. Ive sold them a few stock steering wheels and dashes so Im assuming they use them to do their mods.

Yeah totally bummed out about it. Like I said I was hoping for the best, price was great figment on OEM Tesla dash was perfect as expected, now my passenger side vent doesn’t work, need to look into that.

maybe forged carbon or glossy might hide theses “ imperfect hand made “ imperfections more. Rain was who I was messaging, he ghosted me a few days ago after asking for an exchange or full refund and keeps throwing the imperfect hand made excuse at me.

initially I asked for partial refund but seeing how poorly this was handled, I ask for a refund / exchange after thinking about it further…

Yeah totally bummed out about it. Like I said I was hoping for the best, price was great figment on OEM Tesla dash was perfect as expected, now my passenger side vent doesn’t work, need to look into that.

maybe forged carbon or glossy might hide theses “ imperfect hand made “ imperfections more. Rain was who I was messaging, he ghosted me a few days ago after asking for an exchange or full refund and keeps throwing the imperfect hand made excuse at me.

initially I asked for partial refund but seeing how poorly this was handled, I ask for a refund / exchange after thinking about it further…

I know Rain. Ill WhatsApp Rain and see whats up. Can you message me your name, town, and email? Pics of the issue too would be cool. Ill stick up for you and see where I get.

I do youtube installs of their products, so Im sure they wont ghost me.

Reactions: Silence88
I’ll try and get more pics after work, the blotchy matte finish is hard to capture and those lines every few inches are tough to capture as well but you can kinda see it in the pic with the red arrow.

You can also see those random weave is off here and there like it missed a weave overlay

Attachments

• E5C93373-C9D0-45A6-BBBF-04B7AAE3C744.jpeg
    E5C93373-C9D0-45A6-BBBF-04B7AAE3C744.jpeg
    357.8 KB · Views: 81
  • 155DA34D-8BC6-4D11-B6BC-655476A41887.jpeg
    155DA34D-8BC6-4D11-B6BC-655476A41887.jpeg
    405.2 KB · Views: 84
  • BA69CCC7-D17F-4B39-BB89-B637FB8602C0.jpeg
    BA69CCC7-D17F-4B39-BB89-B637FB8602C0.jpeg
    443 KB · Views: 85
  • C7CDD164-9F24-406C-9CC7-79F5FD0571B0.jpeg
    C7CDD164-9F24-406C-9CC7-79F5FD0571B0.jpeg
    388.5 KB · Views: 91
  • 1F45EBBE-1020-4147-A119-D33D5D64CA35.jpeg
    1F45EBBE-1020-4147-A119-D33D5D64CA35.jpeg
    394.9 KB · Views: 90
  • 172FE19C-AFA2-41E8-9AF1-5B35502E9402.jpeg
    172FE19C-AFA2-41E8-9AF1-5B35502E9402.jpeg
    667 KB · Views: 91
Last edited:
Reactions: PNWLeccy
Mine isn't near as bad, but also have some obvious and not so obvious imperfections (still waiting on my steering wheel to come):

1654548365966.png

Same one, different angle:

1654548408739.png

Also:

1654548451132.png

To me that's less about it being "hand made" vs either sloppy work or possibly a bad piece of carbon fiber used.

I haven't contacted the seller yet as I'm waiting to see the steering wheel.